Simple Man's IEM Measurements, Impressions, Ranking of 75+ IEMs!
Sep 11, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 66
I really need to jump on the SD-2 before it gets discontinued..
I don't think i would let go of the SD-2. At least not for now, if i ever come to that point, i will surely let you know first. They are indeed an amazing work, super detailed without boosted highs. I find that they too, for my ears, get a little uncomfortable after some time, but for that first hour or so, they are sublime. Excellent timbre for a BA.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #62 of 66
I don't think i would let go of the SD-2. At least not for now, if i ever come to that point, i will surely let you know first. They are indeed an amazing work, super detailed without boosted highs. I find that they too, for my ears, get a little uncomfortable after some time, but for that first hour or so, they are sublime. Excellent timbre for a BA.

I did not expect so, sorry for lack of clarity in my comment... I started eyeballing Thomann as soon as I posted that lol.

May 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #63 of 66
Azla Azel Vs JPRiDE 1984 Freedom

Azel Vs 1984 Freedom.JPG

Test track: Radiohead - Lotus Flower (because great bassline, and Thom's vocals naturally hit close to sibilance in this song making it a great test track).

With the 1984s - in the song intro, the bassline is loud and shows good presence with adequate oomph! The high end details with the claps, hi-hats, snares envelope the stage nicely and present themselves clearly with good detail. The highs have an edge to them, and one wouldn't call these polite.

With the Azels, the entry bassline is equally loud, only i think these have a little more meat (not bloat), or rather the bass in the Azels come across as a little thicker. As a result, the Azels have a warmer tone in comparison. The balanced highs help achieve this tone in the Azels, whereas the 1984's forward highs remove this warmth and give them a brighter overall tonality.
The hi-hats shimmer less with the Azels, with the edges smoothed out. The edgy treble does carry a little extra detail in the 1984s, which the Azel's decided to let go in favour of a more earthy presentation (final audio like).

The mids are more convincing in the Azels. They sound fuller and i hear more mid-range detail as the focus is concentrated in this area. Contrarily, the highs are where the 1984s seem to have their spotlight. They do put out more treble details to your face.
The vocal timbre and weight sound better in the warmer Azels than the relatively thinner, colder output of the 1984s. The ssssss and the shshshshs in the vocals are also easier to listen to with the Azels than the 1984s. Although i must say the 1984s are not really sibilant. They do play this song much better than some other sibilant earphones (e.g: ATH E70, Flare R2A).

Soundstage & Positioning:
The Azels have a more lateral presentation and greater stage width. The positioning equally good - maybe just slightly better than 1984s with the mid range instruments.
The 1984s have more height to the stage, the highs play a little higher grabbing your attention, and the stage width is slightly narrower compared to Azel. The treble information can be easily picked out in the 1984s than the Azels.

Overall, i must say i prefer the tasteful highs and the more mid-focused presentation of the Azels.
The 1984s do throw a little extra detail and sound more exciting, but the mids do take a slight back seat in the picture.

Both are very competent earphones and are rightly priced.
The 1984s give you detachable MMCX cables, and extra treble detail!
Azels get you a nice carry case, with fuller mids and smoother highs!

@prawdziwysimone Choose what you will :)
Thanks! 🙏

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #65 of 66
Hi Guys.,
Hope you're all keeping well.

Thought it made sense to update my "Ear-Time" column given that it's been quite a while and i'm not scoring newer IEMs.
I'm just rotating between the Azla Horizons and IE 500s these days. I hardly touch any other IEMs anymore.

@Alex W The 1984s are good for the money. if you are interested PM me, i can ship you my unit, mint condition!

Guys., if you are interested in buying ANY IEM from the list, just check with me before you buy a new one, i might be ready to sell them to you for a good price.

Thanks, and as always, enjoy your music!

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #66 of 66
Is this thread closed? Has Mr. iems0nly left the hobby?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back