simple DIY tube amp please
Apr 12, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 12
The Millett Hybrid seems like it'd be up your alley. SOldering techniques can be just basic, and it's a simple design. Lots of documentation out there as well

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 12
Try the Millett Hybrid at DIY Forums - Hybrid Headamp

EDIT: DieInAFire beat me to it, but I've got the link
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 12
the SOHA is pretty easy to build, yet some find it hard reading the schematics correctly.
the Millet is even easier with PCBs available for it. but you could hope that in time, there will be a SOHA board.

the SOHA has a better and improved design compared to a Millet.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Funny you mention it, I just blew through about 75% of a Millett Hybrid last night. Still waiting of a couple diodes as well as the tubes and sockets. Probably another 30-60 minutes, which would bring total assembly time to about 2 hours. Could've gone faster, but I had a movie on and I was taking a leisurely approach to things.

While I still haven't fired it up, the asssembly was straightforward without many areas to make mistakes. Component spacing is generous, so there's little chance you'll join pads or make other common mistakes.

I got my board from:

http://www.diycable.com

The parts were easy to find, too. Also, visit Pete Millett's site to download a PDF of the AudioXpress article with the BOM and instructions.

I think it's a nice little project, and am very much looking forward to listening to it.

The SOHA is a nice design, too. Personally, I'm holding off until there's enough of a consensus for a PCB group buy. It'll happen eventually, and I'll build one.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Funny you mention it, I just blew through about 75% of a Millett Hybrid last night. Still waiting of a couple diodes as well as the tubes and sockets. Probably another 30-60 minutes, which would bring total assembly time to about 2 hours. Could've gone faster, but I had a movie on and I was taking a leisurely approach to things.

Oh man does that sound like the best thing ever. I'm living by the motto, "you have to know the bad to know the good" at the moment. After this semester, movies, beer, and soldering is how I plan to spend a great deal of time. (Should one drink and solder?
eek.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
The SOHA is a nice design, too. Personally, I'm holding off until there's enough of a consensus for a PCB group buy. It'll happen eventually, and I'll build one.

Did I miss a thread somewhere about a PCB for the SOHA. I was consdering P2P, but I have enough projects at the moment. I can wait for the board.

Sam

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 12
I check in with the SOHA thread on HeadWize every week or so. Last time I was there, they were still kicking around the PCB pattern. I think it'll get nailed down sooner or later, and then someone will probably start a group buy. I'll jump on it, and a lot of others will, too. Total parts for about $50 and good sound? The SOHA has my interest.

As for the Millett, it goes fast. There just aren't that many parts. And the tubes are only $2.80 each at AES. Such a deal. I got lucky with a case- it used to be a power supply for an UV inspection light. It's steel with black anodized panels. And I've turned the panels aroudn so they're blank now. I'm pretty excited about this build. Hopefully, AES can get those tubes and sockets here this week.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 12
The Millet PCB from DIYCable.com isn't the "normal" ones. Is there any online store for the originals (I missed the GroupBuy on headwize)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back