Silver plated copper vs pure copper cables
Aug 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

Ok so I am aware that cables do not make THAT much difference and some are a monumental rip off but as these are 2 different materials does anyone know / has noticed a difference in sound between a pure copper cable and a silver plated copper? ...

At the moment I have silver plated copper and I heard that pure copper may be smoother sounding with less harsh treble but maybe a bit less detail?

I was thinking or trying some QED XTC pure copper cables.... Do you think it is worth the £20 for 5m to give it a go? The cable I have atm is actually more expensive then that but maybe the different materials (silver or not silver plated) affect the sound?

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 19
Lets assume for this discussion that differences exist and not turn this into a no they don't, yes they do thread with the understanding that many don't think this topic valid or significant.

My experience is that cables do sound different when not the weakest link but that there is much more to it than materials. My experience has also been that with similar build, that I prefer pure copper to silver plated when neutral is what's needed. If somethong is voiced for a brighter plated cable, it could still be best. Pure silver is also favored to plated but the silver vs copper debate is more horses for courses than an absolute in better or worse. There are many grades of both and stranding configuration plays it's roll so absolutes are not available. I've heard that silver has the advantage of being able to be made with a more polished surface and that it helps but I really don't know if that's real. Resistance difference, while there, is a fraction of that at the connections and can be overcome with guage so I wouldn't attribute much to that either.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 19
Is this for the plug, as well? Because that will tarnish, and taking sandpaper to it isn't fun (been there, done that). As for the sounds, I've distinctly picked out more high end with silver. Wouldn't call it harsh, just more. Keep in mind these are cables. The change is VERY subtle.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
The copper will tarnish slightly faster than the silver will.

Ok but I am more interested in if there will actually be a difference in sound quality. I read an article saying all cables are exactly the same but tbh having tried really basic wire from a integrated stereo I am not sure that is entirely correct.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 19
Unfortunately, I've never seen anything that suggests a difference in wires.

The good news is that there are tens of thousands of variables that do change the sound. There are different headphones, of course, but also hundreds of amplifier designs and different components that can be used in them. They behave according to known physics and you can use all sorts of test devices to tune and tweak them. You'll always find cause-and-effect and things behave according to formulas and laws. If you want to experiment with things that change sound, you might find that a lot more rewarding. There are lots of unexplored designs and you might find something wonderful. Cables and the other unquantifiable stuff are a dead end. Without measurements and hard data you'll never know what you have.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 19
I would like to know does silver or copper headphone cable can help to improve the separation, detail & soundstage of the original headphone?
Let say I want to reduce the bass of the headphone, should I use silver headphone cable?

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
I would like to know does silver or copper headphone cable can help to improve the separation, detail & soundstage of the original headphone?
Let say I want to reduce the bass of the headphone, should I use silver headphone cable?

I believe the quality and type (i.e. copper or silver) make a difference to the overall sound but not THAT much of a difference. Hence, changing the cable will not drastically effect the sound unless you are using poorly manufactured cables to start with. In my experience, the soundstaging, treble and clarity improves with pure silver cables over copper ones.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 19
I've recently played around with power cords-a Decware SPC and a custom copper one I bought from Ebay. I can definitely hear a difference between them on both my Mjolnir, and previously on my Bifrost. The SPC is definitely more transparent and spacious-the pure copper sound somewhat warmer and muffled in comparison. Interesting since I haven't heard as much difference in ICs, and have very little experience with different headphone cables. That will change one the rest of my rig is complete.

-Daniel

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 19
I believe the quality and type (i.e. copper or silver) make a difference to the overall sound but not THAT much of a difference. Hence, changing the cable will not drastically effect the sound unless you are using poorly manufactured cables to start with. In my experience, the soundstaging, treble and clarity improves with pure silver cables over copper ones.

DK,
But yes that comes with a price $$$$$ UP-OCC Pure Silver is not cheap :-/

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 19
I've recently played around with power cords-a Decware SPC and a custom copper one I bought from Ebay. I can definitely hear a difference between them on both my Mjolnir, and previously on my Bifrost. The SPC is definitely more transparent and spacious-the pure copper sound somewhat warmer and muffled in comparison. Interesting since I haven't heard as much difference in ICs, and have very little experience with different headphone cables. That will change one the rest of my rig is complete.

-Daniel
Agree 100%

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #14 of 19
I hear a difference between different types of cables, so far prefer pure copper cables(mogami are amazing have no sound to them, use the for almost every audio interconect) to any silver plated ones. On silver plated cables I find that treble sounds different from rest of the presentation, can not listen to them for this very reason. Better quality materials make all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back