Silver Laces/Shielded or Unshield Better?
Dec 21, 2001 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kaiwei

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya,

I asked this questions buried deep within the older silver lace thread & getting no response I decided to ask here again since 'm about to spring for it.

Does anyone has any idea how these silver laces will fare in a computer environment? ie soundcard>DIO>silver laces>hopefully headmaster>Etys 4S???

Or should I go for the shield route? I'm basically gonna run these out of a soundcard's analog out, will the EMI/RF/)(*&#@ affect the sound? Will it cause a background hiss? HELP!!!

Dec 21, 2001 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 8
I have a set of Silver Lace interconnects on the input side of my computer system, between my phono preamp and ART DI/O, and they work just fine.

Dec 21, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 8
I probably wouldn't do it if you leave the computer case off.

Dec 21, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Analog outs of many soundcards HAVE hiss or hum sometimes regardless of the best interconnects. Do you have hum/hiss now?

If you had the D/IO you would be able to move the unit farther away from the computer anyhow.

Not that better or worse interconnects wouldn't help in this situation...it is just that if you are talking about an internal soundcard...well even the most shielded cables don't change the fact that your soundcard is still inside the computer box bombarded with EMI/RFI and a less than ideal power supply.

Dec 22, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei
So Hirsch, have you tried running them out from your soundcard analog out? Any hum/static? thanks a million for helping.

kaiwei
merry christmas

Actually, I have computer speakers in the analog output, and haven't tried an upscale interconnect there. I run digital out back to the DI/O and from there to Creek OBH-11se (am trying a Monarchy DIP between computer and DI/O). I use MIT MI-330 on the output leg, and haven't tried the Silver Lace there (I'm primarily concerned with getting the best possible signal from turntable to computer, and then burning to CD).

No noise issues with Silver Lace I can think of, but they're not directly connected to the computer.

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 8
Well, I just had my first incidence of noise directly traceable to the Silver Lace in the computer system, while testing different phono sections with it. Replacing the Silver Lace with MIT cabling solved the problem, so I'd have to say shielded is better for computer use at this admittedly late point.

I'm not absolutely certain why noise suddenly appeared, but I suspect it's the weather...it's really dry around here right now. Petting a cat can create a static discharge big enough to cause an ART DI/O five feet away to lose sync
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back