Silver headphone cable - recommendations?
May 23, 2009 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Good Times

Member of the Trade: Krispy Kables
Can any one recommend a silver, or spc wire for a headphone recable? My usual is not being produced anymore.

Something nice and flexi (so prob not solid core), cheers.

May 23, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 19
I've been using the vampire 24awg (7 strand) but is a bit thick for a headphone cable. I might have to go the navships, perhaps their 26 or 28awg.

I know ALO have up to 24g stranded, but will start to get heavy with 4 wires I suspect.

May 23, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 19
Stranded, pure silver is very expensive and not that easy to find.
I had a batch of that kind of wire awhile ago and it does sound awesome, by better any kind of wire I've ever tried. Unfortunately, the wire is no longer available now.
2636059380_5e3ff3e539_b_d.jpg

May 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny to read "each strand is individually plated" - well of course it is, all silver plated copper has individually plated strands, that's simply what it is.
tongue.gif

I'm not even sure that ALO gets this... that's why they advertise it... oh dear...

May 23, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 19
My HD650s - still running on stock, oh no!

Was thinking that I'll either just try the ALO 24g, or at the ridiculously low price, try the navships 26g kapton/teflon spc. Or should I just HTFU and go solid core?

May 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD650s - still running on stock, oh no!

Was thinking that I'll either just try the ALO 24g, or at the ridiculously low price, try the navships 26g kapton/teflon spc. Or should I just HTFU and go solid core?

once you add that $18 Cardas connector, the price will not be low anymore. The final/total price of a cable using real silver is not that much more than one wiht fake silver, yet the SQ result can be very different.

for the 650, which is said to be a little veiled sounding (never had them before), the HGA 24awg solid core can be a very good choice for improved transparency. The flexbility of 24/26 awg solid core silver is not bad, you won't have microphonic problem if you use soft nylon sleeves.

May 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 19
I use stranded silver but unfortunately the brand I used isn't carried by a local anymore. I don't remember the name either...

I like stranded wire since it seems to give off less "skin effect". I'll keep my eye open for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back