Silver Dragon Cable for HD 650, will length affect sound?
Jun 26, 2004 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Reader

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have my HD 650 I want try silver dragon cable, I want 15 feet, but I can manage with 10 feet, now my question is there any difference bewteen 10 and 15 feet when it come to sound?

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 33
I have a 4' headphone cable and a 6' extension cable. It does make a difference -- very slightly darker with extension cable -- but otherwise accuracy is not much diminished, and there are no roll-off tendencies.

I guess the difference between 10' and 15' is even smaller. Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd prefer the shorter variant.

peacesign.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 33
Though with the longer cable it's easier to do things like listening to your cans while lying down in bed and having the rest of your rig on a shelf/desk/etc.
580smile.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 33
BTW, did you also consider the Zu Mobius? To my ears (and in my setup) it's the more accurate and more musical cable.

peacesign.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 33
Sorry Jazz, but your test is problematic. You add 6' of cable but also two connectors, and the connectors may have more effect on the sound than the added cable.
If there is any practical inconvenience with a shorter cable, as a less comfortable listening position, I think this has greater importance for the listening experience than the maybe, very sligth deterioration of sound from a longer cable. Could be another matter when we go up to 4 or 5 meter lengths.

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
Could be another matter when we go up to 4 or 5 meter lengths.

LOL. SCNR. 15 feet are about 4,5 meter.

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
BTW, did you also consider the Zu Mobius? To my ears (and in my setup) it's the more accurate and more musical cable.

peacesign.gif

I Already have Zu(4 M), I like it a lot, it seems be able to lift the veil,(it was until I have heard HD650 with stock cable I know how it's veiled), very nice highs and lows but middle is a little weak or say too layed back, then again I am not sure, both HD 650 and zu are not fully burned in. I heard silver dragon has more details, and I like details, so I want give it a try. I will keep the one I like more.

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
Sorry Jazz, but your test is problematic. You add 6' of cable but also two connectors, and the connectors may have more effect on the sound than the added cable.

Of course I thought about the connectors, too. But I came to the conclusion that if at all they won't affect the sound the way it shows: a slight shifting towards a darker character, with otherwise very little signal degradation. Or would you expect a greater degrading effect without the connectors?
biggrin.gif

peacesign.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 33
Hi JaZZ, seems you have lots of cable for your HD 650 how about teach me how to connect and disconnect these cables? Take them off are hard, but put them in are harder, any tricks?

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 33
Seems that I haven't woke up yet. Yes, 15' = about 4,5 meter. I would be a little hesitant about this lenght myself. Hard to know how much it affects sound and could do so for example if the cable has high capacitance. So there could be a trade-off between convencience and sound quality.

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 33
Jazz, seems reasonable that most of the difference is a darkening of sound depending on increased cable length and thereby increased capacitance. Then it should become even darker with 15' length. But wasn't it a little bright with 4'?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
Hi JaZZ, seems you have lots of cable for your HD 650 how about teach me how to connect and disconnect these cables? Take them off are hard, but put them in are harder, any tricks?

No tricks. I have no problems with connecting and disconnecting. If you're referring to the Mobius: I have done some grinding on the aluminum connectors (slightly reduced the width of the «T» bar) for a less tight fit.

Anders...

...not to forget inductance, which may affect the sonic balance even more than capacitance. Yes, it is a bit bright with 4 feet, but still not too bright. My main concern with it isn't detail per se, but the way it's exposed with the SD. Kind of artificial and mannered. Upper mids and lower highs are slightly emphasized, whereas above say 9 kHz there seems to be a small downward step. The ultimate sparkle, especially with cymbals, is missing, sometimes in a downright annoying way. So the increased length doesn't really cure this issue.

I'll update my impressions in comparison with Zu Mobius and Oehlbach more extensively, maybe this weekend.

peacesign.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
No tricks. I have no problems with connecting and disconnecting. If you're referring to the Mobius: I have done some grinding on the aluminum connectors (slightly reduced the width of the «T» bar) for a less tight fit.

Thanks for the answer, so Mobius is the hardest one to do right? If SD is harder to connect than Mobius, I might give up the idea of cable changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back