Silk Screen? / Front Panels?
Nov 8, 2004 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

1racerx

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Did a bit of serching but it didnt turn up much . . .

I was wondering how you all create front panels for you gear you make? I mean this in reference to amps similar to the www.headamp.com type amps with black writing on a natural aluminuim. Is it possible to use the laser transfer method for pcb's and then just lacquer the the toner to the front panel? How would one get whie on black then?

Just curious what you all do to make these.

Thanks a million,

Daniel

Nov 8, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 19
i was wondering about this myself a while back. i found this to be really helpful.

for white on black i was thinking about getting a brother labelling machine and getting the white on clear tape for it.....

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 19
Tonre transfer works providing the surface can withstand heat without discolouration. There are also markings you can buy on a sheet which is place on, scrape over, and peel off.

Alternatively you can paint the surface, and then use an engraver to scape it, or something popular aroound these boards seem to get lasercut pannels.

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 19
Try Front Panel Express. They do custom drilling and engraving of panels, but they sure aren't cheap.

Nov 8, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 19
i have just started enquiring with local metal workshops and engraving shops about getting a panel i have already got engraved. its black anodised AL, i can't just get a new front panelt cut out because it's extruded and drilled to fit this enclosure. i will report back on what i find.i suspect that it may be pricey to get engraving done, yet cheaper then FPE....

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 19
I would recommend finding a trophy engraver in your city and asking them for a
price quote. Keep in mind that you're going to be paying a lot of money since
you only want one plate engraved. They'll probably charge you a flat-fee for
design costs, set-up, tooling the engraving machines, and then some really high
fee for the actual engraving.

I was at my local engraver the other day and I got some price quotes drafted. If
I want a 2"x8", ultra-thin, brass plate engraved with simple text, It would cost
$4.90 USD each if I was ordering in quantities of 100. On top of that, I'd have
to pay a $35 "design fee" so they can review my design and see if it's valid. If
they were going to create the illustrator file themselves, they'd charge me even
more.

Now that I think about it, you might be better-off NOT going with a local
engraver, but instead using the online services that others have mentioned
thus far.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for all the replies,

skyskraper: That turned out to be a advertisement url

Garbz: Was thinking of attempting it on some brushed aluminium. I have heaps of it spare so i will give it a try on some scraps.
smily_headphones1.gif

donovansmith: Thanks for the link, Ive already been all thru their website. Ive updated my location now, Obviously its not possible to order thru them at a realiztic price from Australia. Sorry to waste you time . . Location updated now.

Juergen: Thanks for the pic, looks really nice. If I lived in the US I would use them for sure . . . It makes all the differance between an ametuer looking job and a professional job.

andjules: Good Idea, will investigate in Perth.

roadbuster: I assume after its engraved you can wipe paint into the impression to create the effect.?

Thanks all for the replies.

Daniel

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1racerx
Thanks for all the replies,

skyskraper: That turned out to be a advertisement url
Thanks all for the replies.

Daniel

Daniel if you look carefully at the address it has 2x "http" at the beginning,

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 19
yup the real link is http//monopole.ph.qmw.ac.uk/~thomas/synthdiy/frontpanel.htm i screwed up
cool.gif

im also in perth. waiting to hear back from a few engravers ive contacted. will let you know how i go....

edit: there is some place in perth that sells lazertran. can't remember off the top of my head. will look thru some old emails...

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 19
didnt notice that :p

that page has heaps of info, thanks for that.

I think the the lazertran stuff looks reallly interesting.

At the moment for projects i build at work i print the final artwork for the fornt panel on photo paper, the laquer it with "Karlak" and the stick it to the front panel of altronics/jacar boxes with "jac paper" a double sided really sticky paper.

But for what i want to build the lazertran could be the way to go.

If you remember where you got it in Perth that would be realllly good thanks. No rush . . . i havent even got all my components together yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1racerx
roadbuster: I assume after its engraved you can wipe paint into the impression to create the effect.?

Honestly, I don't know how they colourize the grooves of an aluminum panel
which has been engraved. Drew from shellbrook labs (drewd) makes pocket
amps with, from what I can see, engraved panels that have inked grooves (see
image below). It would be great if he could chime-in on this topic and explain
how the effect is achieved.

smm_silver.jpg

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 19
1racerx, two options i have been reccomended. for engraving panels custom engraving in balcatta. for silkscreening, print n etch in balcatta.

im gonna go down to prin n etch tomorrow to get a quote on what i want done!

now does anybody know how to export from FPD to pdf/cad/png/etc???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back