Silent PC with a DAC vs. Squeezebox Duet
Mar 9, 2008 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

curbfeeler

100+ Head-Fier
What advantages / disadvantages would a purpose-built silent PC have over using a Slim Devices Squeezebox Duet for playing FLAC files?
Please share your expertise and thoughts in this thread.
Being able to choose the DAC for the PC would be advantageous, assuming that those DACs were superior to the Squeezebox and that said DACs could be well implemented in the signal chain.

May 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Since I received no response to this inquiry here, I assumed nobody wanted to defend the PC as source. I bought a SqueezeBox Duet and use it in conjunction with Windows Home Server. So far so good. Sounds fabulous. I am eager to try other DACs with the Duet.

May 3, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi,

I've been away from the forum for some time so did not reply to your post. I have an HTPC geared towards music. If you are still interested, post here and I will reply in detail.

Regards

John

May 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Curbfeeler -

I'm not familiar enough with the Squeezebox to compare/contrast, but back in March, I started putting together my server system. The advantage, to me, is that the biggest chunk of hardware, the computer, was already bought. I had an Apple iBook G4, which is a very quiet computer, inside and out. That allowed me to start very simply, by picking up a 500 mb hard drive, plugging it in and ripping music. I'm currently coming out of the Mac into an iMic, which allows me to use the DAC in the Mac but bipass its headphone amp section. From there I hardwire to my headphone amp.

On the way is a Trends UD-10 digital transporter, that turns USB to coax, optical or digital balanced output. That will allow me to connect to any DAC, and to my digital receiver. It also contains a good 16-bit Burr brown DAC, so I can get all audio processing outside of the computer between now and the time I start testing better outboard DACs. Next up is an Apple Airport Extreme where the DSL line comes in (the hard drive goes there and the extreme will send the files anywhere in the house). Then I can access my music from my laptop, with a portable amp, from anywhere in the house for headphone listening, and use little Airport Express boxes to receive the music at systems at audio systems anywhere else in the house.

It's sounding kind of complicated, but it's really not, and I suppose th biggest advantage is that it's inexpensive, because the Mac was already paid for. Well that, and the controller is very cool. It's the laptop, wherever I carry it. So my remote control has iTunes, which I'm very fond of and already used to, plus a 14-inch screen for art, and internet access to the best liner notes in the world.

Tim

May 3, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 13
@ tfarney, surely you mean 500gb?

and that setup sounds good. but it would cost a lot if tehre was no mac to start of with, probablya lot more than the squeezebox.

May 3, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ tfarney, surely you mean 500gb?

and that setup sounds good. but it would cost a lot if tehre was no mac to start of with, probablya lot more than the squeezebox.

I do mean 500gb, of course. And yes. Buyin a new mac would add at least $500 to the system (mac mini), plus a monitor if you don't already have one. And you'd lose the portability of the control device. That would add $1000 to the system, for a MacBook. Unless you wanted to seek out a used iBook. It does sound good. Actually, it sounds good straight out of the Mac, even. It is very quiet inside and outside a Mac laptop and taking audio from the soundcard adds no noise that I can hear, even cranked through Etymotics. It does, of course, have a sound signature, but it's a very warm one, one that a lot of folks would find very attractive.

Tim

May 3, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Sorry, I'm confused about what is being discussed. Are you asking if the Squeezebox competes against all DACs, or the practical advantages of one setup (away) versus another (near) or streaming versus a dedicated computer for music playback only?

Yes if budget is no object, the Squeezebox can be beat, but it's quite good for the price. As a DAC the Pico, DA10, DAC1, Transporter, etc. smokes it, but that should be expected. Personally multiple computers (unless you have another sitting around) doesn't make since to me when you can stream from one. I can see the case for dedicated, cheaper, smaller boxes though like the Apple TV.

And you can certainly add a DAC to the Squeezebox.

Running 500gb nas drive to Macbook to Squeezebox to Lavry DAC here.

May 3, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Just installed my Duet: IMO the controller is by far the strongest plus for the Duet. I've thought about adding a simple PC in my audio set, but the problem with that is controlling it: you simply need a display to see exactly what you're doing. A case with an integrated touchpanel is possible of course, but the cost of those is way higher than a duet, plus you have to walk up to it to control it.
Now I only have to decide to use a suitable NAS, very simple PC (fi. with Little Falls mainboard), or modify my media centre to store my music.

May 4, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 13
Well, the PC can play video as well as audio, and do lots and lots of other things. You need a computer to act as a server for the Duet. If you already have the computer, and it's in the right location . . . I think it's very possible that we'll have $200 pc's pretty soon that will be quiet. They would be potentially much more flexible than SBs. But right now, it's not easy to get small, quiet and cheap computers.

May 4, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you can certainly add a DAC to the Squeezebox.

My thoughts, exactly! You could have the ease of the Squeezebox, as well as the versatility to pick whichever DAC you so choose for your tastes.

It seems that having a whole other computer system just for the music might be unnecessary... and expensive!

May 8, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm aware that the handset of the Duet contains both a DAC and a headphone output but as of yet, the firmware does not allow these to be used. Any news on when they might be activated?

May 15, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 13
I am headed toward a DAC to use with another Duet Receiver in the living room, and possibly a DAC to use before the headphone amp. Probably would want a portable DAC for the headphone chain so that it could be used with DAPs. How-to and recommendations welcome.

May 16, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Other than :

1) using the computer for things other than music serving (email, video serving)
2) having a computer to begin with to dedicate to the cause
3) perhaps not be a computer builder/tinkerer

If you really just want a music server, and only a music server, I would imagine that a premade music server solution would be better. But then if you purchased said premade server, you could never turn it into your kids computer toy later when you want to upgrade.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back