Sik Din: original version or new "Ram Din"?
Apr 10, 2005 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got an email from the Sik Store that their new Ram Din is in stock-- wit the built in mini-mini with the right angle plug on the end.

I was wondering if I should get this version or the original version, reason being that the original will allow me to use whatever mini-mini I want. The black Ram Din looks nice though, and the cable and 1/8" plug end look comparable to something like a Plastics One mini-mini.

Which should I go for? I'm leaning towards the black Ram Din right now, less cables to carry, same price as the original Sik Din, and cheaper than the Pocketdock...

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 22
Well with both models the signal goes through sik's cable. You can either take the signal there and go into your amp or you can add a connection and expensive cable and then go into your amp.

I think that once your signal goes through sik's (possibly ******) cable, an expensive one isnt going to make a difference, you are better off going without the added connections, straight into your amp.

I would say avoid sik's cable altogether, get the pocketdock, and then use your fancy cable.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 22
I've got a SIK Din, and have just ordered a RAM DIN.

I can put the old Din into a dedicated connection to my home stereo.

I'll use the new RAM DIN for the portable. This will be a cleaner rig to connect to my Xin SuperMacro amp, eliminating the need for the Xin mini-mini right angle connector I'm using now. Also the new molded plug on the RAM is smaller than the combination female plug with the Xin right angle connecter, making for a neater cable connection/routing at the amp.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
Well with both models the signal goes through sik's cable. You can either take the signal there and go into your amp or you can add a connection and expensive cable and then go into your amp.

I think that once your signal goes through sik's (possibly ******) cable, an expensive one isnt going to make a difference, you are better off going without the added connections, straight into your amp.

I would say avoid sik's cable altogether, get the pocketdock, and then use your fancy cable.

I only have a canare starquad mini-mini w/ canare F12's on it, and a Plastics One mini-mini, so I double they're going to sound better than a stock cable on the Sik, plus the Sik cable is smaller, so I could use it with more cases/skins for my mini, plus it locks, plus it's cheaper. Darn, sounds like I just talked myself into it, huh?

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 22
I chose the new Ram Din. I liked the Pocket Dock form factor, but the lack of locking and all the reports of noise scared me away. Of the two Dins I chose the Ram Din because it's more compact and you don't need another connector. I agree that adding another connector to the din cable is just going to degrade things or do nothing in the case of a good cable. Unless you need the female connector for connecting to portable speakers, etc. go with the Ram I say.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I only have a canare starquad mini-mini w/ canare F12's on it, and a Plastics One mini-mini, so I double they're going to sound better than a stock cable on the Sik, plus the Sik cable is smaller, so I could use it with more cases/skins for my mini, plus it locks, plus it's cheaper. Darn, sounds like I just talked myself into it, huh?

It makes a huge difference to what you can slip the player/amp combo in if you minimise the extra wires. I've been looking for a solution for ages, ended up with a custom solution... http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114777

I vote you go for it.

Apr 11, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 22
Anyone know of a bricks and mortar shop in the UK that stocks the Sik Din or Ram Din?
Id really like one , but I resent paying almost as much as the purchase price again on postage and packing charges !

thanks
Marc

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils

yup, exactly why I didnt bother getting the sik din despite pocket dock is known to have interference problem with some ipods (no problem with mine). the stock cable of the sik din kinda defeats the idea of using any better interconnect. the pocket dock also doesnt drop off as some may have claimed, hold securely on my ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 22
Anyone ordering one of these in the states? Sik charges $16 for the cheapest method to Canada, and I think it can be done with a $2 envelope if there is no box. PM me and I'll pay for my cable, my shipping, and split your shipping (assuming it isnt ridiculously expensive).

Please help!
580smile.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by marct10
Anyone know of a bricks and mortar shop in the UK that stocks the Sik Din or Ram Din?

or anyone in the UK that stocks Sik Products? I've emailled the two UK resellers mentioned on the Sik website, but haven't had a very clear response yet.

Apr 12, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 22
Ive also had replies from the two UK distributors, they dont know what they are doing, one said they are not stocking it (i think thats what they meant, the English was so bad it was almost unreadable!)
The other one said, you mean Sik Din, then later emailed me a description of the Ram Din...this was in reply to a mail from me asking to purchase one ??!?
I feel like complaining to Sik, but I doubt it would help !

Apr 12, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 22
I wonder how many UK Head-Fiers are thinking of purchasing the Ram Din? If there are enough a group-buy might make sense, possibly? Or we could all gang-up on one of the distributors to make them get their act together!

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 22
My black RAM DIN cable arrived today

Shown here at my desk, one lead goes to a Xin SuperMacro-3 amp, the other to an iPod power supply.

All in all, a neat little package.

sm3f.jpg

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 22
I ended up going back to the pocketdock, since I didn't want an extra cable hanging off, and didn't feel like cutting up something I've paid $25 for by castrating the firewire adaptor cable.

I've got my iPod mini secured by velcro straps to the top of my Porta Corda. I have some black rubber feet on the top of the Porta Corda so as to give a little bit of room between the PC and the mini (so the mini doesn't warm up too much, and I can tuck the excess cable from my Plastics One mini-mini in between the two). I then put some slightly thicker rubber feet (clear ones, that are sort of rounded instead of flat) in between the Pocketdock and the top of the Porta Corda, so as to prevent any excess movement if the top of the pocketdock was pushed on. A pretty wicked little combo, especially when combined with my new DT770/80's! I'll post pics when I get the chance to take some shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back