Sik Din: original version or new "Ram Din"?
Apr 19, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #16 of 22
I like the Ram Din a lot. It's compact, locks onto the iPod, and reduces the amount of stuff I have to carry. It's also color-coordinated with my iPod and amp cases, which are also black, and I consider that a plus.

The cable seems fine to me. I have not attempted to hear a difference between the Ram Din cable and my PocketDock + 6" Cardas mini-mini, so I won't venture an opinion about the differences between them, but FWIW I'm not noticing audible deficiencies in the Ram Din's presentation.

I also have the PocketDock, but find it a little cumbersome. It is both longer and wider, and doesn't lock on to the bottom of the iPod -- so it's this extra, somewhat large-ish lump that is prone to getting knocked off the bottom.

The PocketDock also doesn't fit through the connector hole of certain iPod cases (for example the XtremeMac leather case of which I'm fond), while the Ram Din does.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I like the Ram Din a lot. It's compact, locks onto the iPod, and reduces the amount of stuff I have to carry. It's also color-coordinated with my iPod and amp cases, which are also black, and I consider that a plus.

The cable seems fine to me. I have not attempted to hear a difference between the Ram Din cable and my PocketDock + 6" Cardas mini-mini, so I won't venture an opinion about the differences between them, but FWIW I'm not noticing audible deficiencies in the Ram Din's presentation.

I also have the PocketDock, but find it a little cumbersome. It is both longer and wider, and doesn't lock on to the bottom of the iPod -- so it's this extra, somewhat large-ish lump that is prone to getting knocked off the bottom.

The PocketDock also doesn't fit through the connector hole of certain iPod cases (for example the XtremeMac leather case of which I'm fond), while the Ram Din does.

How long is the mini-mini cable on the Ram Din? My only concern would be that it might not be long enough for my use...

Edit: Nevermind - found it on sik.com - 7 inches... that shouold work for velcro'ing my mini to the top of my Porta Corda...

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
How long is the mini-mini cable on the Ram Din? My only concern would be that it might not be long enough for my use...

Edit: Nevermind - found it on sik.com - 7 inches... that shouold work for velcro'ing my mini to the top of my Porta Corda...

7 inches of flexible cord from the end of one strain relief to the start of the other, so around 8 inches from the bottom of the Ram Din to the center of the right-angle plug.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 22
The length of each the cable (audio and firewire) is about 7"

One thing I like about the new cable is that the male mini-plug is a much more compact solution than the bulkier female mini-plug used with a Xin right angle mini-mini plug. See the photo below comparing the white SIK DIN with the black SIK RAM DIN plugs.

Now my SuperMacro can sit flat on my office desk and the RAM DIN cable routes easily under the volume knob.

sikplugs.jpg

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 22
Apar111, the cable is plenty long for your velcro plan. Just got mine today, and it works perfectly. My Pocketamp is velcroed right onto the front of my stock, Apple carrying case (it's precisely the same width as the case), and the Sik's cable is just long enough to completely remove the iPod from its case.

I've noticed no deterioration in sound quality from the Sik cable. Of course, my comparison was the line out of the iPod's dock and a cheap-ass 6" mini to mini. Whatever. The main point is true, amped-portability, and the Sik is the perfect solution.

The Firewire plug is annoying, but I haven't yet convinced myself I should cut it off. It might be a good way to charge my iPod on other computers away from home (e.g. at work).

I took pictures, but they're all way too large to attach. I have no idea how to reduce them.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 22
Jordanr,

The firewire cable is great for charging the iPod (using the iPod power adapter) while I'm listening to it at my desks.

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 22
Ordered my Ram Din last week and it arrived in the UK on Monday, only to find a Sik Imp inside the box - ohh the disappointment. Oh well, they are now sending me the correct item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back