Sigur Ros amazed me but what's next...?
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tapiozona

100+ Head-Fier
After hearing Sigur ros I fell instantly in love. It was an entirely new genre of music for me and I had many months of enjoyment listening to them while relaxing or going to sleep. Problem is that now I've gotten so used to it that I dont have that wow feeling when I listen to it anymore.

Can anyone recommend me anything along the same lines which will mezmorize me like sigur ros did? I dont mind if its in the same 'catageory' as sigur, as long as it's amazing.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 18
I love Mew.
L3000.gif

p.s. don't ever say this to a significant other, unless you mean it.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 18
Red Sparowes, A Silver Mt. Zion, and Hood. Give 'em a try.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 18
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Eluvium, Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia, Efterklang

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 18
I'll go less eclectic, here, since you guys covered the bases well.

Radiohead.

I am also entranced by The Decemberists in much the same way as Sigur Ros, but that might just be me.

Also try John Cage and Steve Reich. Perhaps you enjoy slowly building minimalism.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 18
Sigur Ros belongs to the Post-Rock genre. There are other bands in the genre that you should check out like Daturah, The Evpatoria Report, Grails, Gregor Samsa, Johnnytwentythree, and The Pirate Ship Quintet. There are many more, but I suggest you try these out and the other recommendations above and then discover more.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 18
Awesome. That takes a lot of the legwork out of this. I actually just realized that I was missing a Sigur Ros album and bought "Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust". Wow. Little bit of pop and more piano but a welcome change.

I'm still going to take the advice in the posts above and expand elsewhere into the genre. I wish amazon's 'samples' were longer so I could get a better idea of the song

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 18
You could use their myspace and last.fm pages to preview their music. Just want to give you a heads up that Post-Rock is a very general term, and some bands can sound very different. Let us know when you get around to listening Godspeed You! Black Emperor, as someone already recommended. I want to see what you think of them.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #15 of 18
Grails and A Silver Mt. Zion are obviously the most original post-rock bands acting today.

Nobody mentioned Architecture in Helsinki because they aren't really post-rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back