Sightings at Bestbuy
Oct 5, 2005 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nsx280ps

100+ Head-Fier
Took some pics w/ my phone....

Zen Micro Photo and the walkman bean

I was very disappointed about the poor screen of the zen... very dark and the pixels were very noticeable... havent tested the sound, but the build quality seems quite good...

The sony looked really cheap though

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 13
the finish on that Zen is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Yuck. Reminds me of those glittery fishing worms....

What's with the new color Zen?? At least when ipods were converted to color they enhanced the font and make it look quality. The Zen just looks like it's monochrome with color filling it in, no sort of smoothness to the GUI at all. bah.

thanks for the photos though. Where is this Best Buy at? I'm surprised to see this as the one near me takes insane amounts of time to just prepare a display unit to mess with before you buy. The two times I went in to look at a Zen Sleek, the first time the guy had to find the box and open it, and the second time the girl wouldn't even let me try it out.

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 13
This is the bestbuy in Gainesville, FL

anyway, The zen micro photo does feel a little smaller than the predecessor... hardware wise i think pretty nice IMO but as i said the screen was the biggest dissappointment and the GUI was lacking

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Damn.....and I thought that the Zen Micro Photo could be my next DAP. Anyways, anyone know if the screen can be viewed outside, seeing as the fact that they're OLED screens?

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 13
That's OLED? So is there no backlight required? It might just look dark because it is using a relatively dark wallpaper in that image (not like white with brightness on high on a black border ipod). However, I agree the ipod color/nano has a very impressive screen and graphic portrayal.

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 13
the backlit turns off after a few seconds and i cant see anything.... maybe poor light in bestbuy?

I dunno

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 13
From what I understand of OLED screens, they emit their own light and as such don't require a backlight to shine through them.
As there is no backlight, I guess it's either on or off, so when the display "times out" you won't be able to see it at all.

Now I don't really mind it being a bit dim indoors, but how do OLED screens fare outdoors? LCDs can get all glarey and washed out, but do OLEDs have the same problem? Can anyone with another full-colour OLED device comment?

Oct 5, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 13
The nano is not wrecked.... its cheapo screen protector that i stuck on it until a proper case comes in
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgspencer
Can anyone with another full-colour OLED device comment?

I can comment although our 2 OLEDs are monochrome. You cannot see it in sunlight. We have the Mobiblu dah-1500i and for a while we had the Sony NW-E507. Even if you cup your hands around the screen and bring it up to your eye, effectively shutting out all light, you still can't see it well. (Though, LOL, this might have something to do with my ageing eyes!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back