Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #76 of 464
Also this thread and the reviews are very well done. That's what makes it so hard to decide lol

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #77 of 464
Really struggling to decide between the B&W, Senns and the Sony. Everything I read about the first two (the ones I'm a little more interested in) is that they are relatively evenly matched (on other sites as well).

I do enjoy both of their sounds although I haven't heard anything from them in years. I had the B&W P7 wired headphones and loved them. I do regret selling them, but they weren't getting enough use and were on-ear. Sennheiser, I own the ie80, but haven't used them in a long time, cables need replacing but I really enjoy them. As for the Sony, I heard their flagship headphones years ago, and enjoyed them.

I don't need the greatest sounding headphones ever, since I still have some great wired headphones and gear. But a great all rounder, that I can use mainly at work. While I do sit at my desk quite a bit, I am on the move around the office as well (IT). Plus work gives $500 a year for office spending or exercise and other things etc.
I went with the B&W PX7 over the Sennheiser Momentum 4 mainly for two reasons related to features and function:

1. Can't turn off ANC on the Senn Momentum 4. I find myself leaving ANC AND transparency off a lot in the office.

2. I like having physical buttons over touch controls.

I use them for commuting and with a Creative W-4 at the office and I am really happy with them. I was pretty sure both would sound good and I would have to EQ both anyway. Knew I was buying the PX7 as soon as I put them on and didn't even bother making the guy take out the Momentum 4 for a demo based on the feature set I was looking for.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #78 of 464
I went with the B&W PX7 over the Sennheiser Momentum 4 mainly for two reasons related to features and function:

1. Can't turn off ANC on the Senn Momentum 4. I find myself leaving ANC AND transparency off a lot in the office.

2. I like having physical buttons over touch controls.

I use them for commuting and with a Creative W-4 at the office and I am really happy with them. I was pretty sure both would sound good and I would have to EQ both anyway. Knew I was buying the PX7 as soon as I put them on and didn't even bother making the guy take out the Momentum 4 for a demo based on the feature set I was looking for.

Thanks for the info! I do like the idea of physical buttons, and the ability to turn off ANC if needed. I don't know if that's a deal breaker but good to know!!

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #80 of 464
I want to thank this thread from helping break me from my indecision on a set of noise cancelling headphones before I get on an airplane for the first time in probably four years.

The great review in the first post and continued recommendations throughout, plus the physical buttons, pushed me to get the Px7 S2. Super excited to give it a listen when it gets delivered.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #81 of 464
Search is still on for me...

Sony XM4/5... horrible, muddy bass, weird compressed/digital sound. But XM5 is very comfortable and amazing ANC.

Bose QC45... lacking bass and excitement, but the most comfortable thing I've tried

AirPods Max... seems like a bit of a hassle without an iPhone, plus doesn't turn off and heavy. Was comfortable and did like the sound however.

PX7 S2... smaller than I expected, far too energetic in sound to the point where it actually was not enjoyable listening to them. Bass would just seemingly resonate in some tracks.

Momentum 4.... Very comfortable and favorite sound of the bunch. Just hate touch controls.

If the Momentum 4 had physical buttons, I would have bought it.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #82 of 464
Search is still on for me...

Sony XM4/5... horrible, muddy bass, weird compressed/digital sound. But XM5 is very comfortable and amazing ANC.

Bose QC45... lacking bass and excitement, but the most comfortable thing I've tried

AirPods Max... seems like a bit of a hassle without an iPhone, plus doesn't turn off and heavy. Was comfortable and did like the sound however.

PX7 S2... smaller than I expected, far too energetic in sound to the point where it actually was not enjoyable listening to them. Bass would just seemingly resonate in some tracks.

Momentum 4.... Very comfortable and favorite sound of the bunch. Just hate touch controls.

If the Momentum 4 had physical buttons, I would have bought it.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but with your explanation on why you don't like the PX7 S2's sound, you not preferring a digital sound, and your interest in comfort, I think you may like the Mark Levinson 5909. The only issues may be if you need the best ANC, and if you like to listen to music loud. The 5909 is a bit on the quiet side, at least on iPhone.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #84 of 464
Focal Bathys just got properly announced, looks like the 5909's are getting more competition in the $500+ range between that and the new Px8. Kinda curious how they compare vs the 5909, though the lack of LDAC is a bit baffling for $799
LDAC is coming through a future firmware update based on the other thread.

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #86 of 464
Anyone plan on trying the KEF Mu7? Also has anyone tried the PSB M4U 8 MKII or the Ultrasone iSAR?

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #87 of 464
Anyone plan on trying the KEF Mu7? Also has anyone tried the PSB M4U 8 MKII or the Ultrasone iSAR?
I have the Mu7 ordered, as well as the Bathys. And tried a lot of the other headphones mentioned in this thread. Will post impressions once I get my hands on them.

I have *not* ordered the PX8 as they physically appear to be the same size as the PX7 S2, and those ear cups were simply too small for me.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #88 of 464
I have the Mu7 ordered, as well as the Bathys. And tried a lot of the other headphones mentioned in this thread. Will post impressions once I get my hands on them.

I have *not* ordered the PX8 as they physically appear to be the same size as the PX7 S2, and those ear cups were simply too small for me.
Nice, looking forward to your impressions on them. I'm still leaning towards the px7 S2...I have very small so I am not overly concerned about the ear cup size.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #89 of 464
Yes, I have the ISAR’s since a couple of months now. Haven’t used them too much, I’m still trying to get used to over the ear headphones.
I bought them as “one-size-fits-all-except-for-serious-music-listening“ purposes. Which means in planes, calls, YouTube and video meetings. As I do not have too much experience with headphones anyway (used to have in ears and a AKG 271MKII only), I honestly cannot comment on how they compare to others.

In general, I like the sound. But again, haven’t tried with music. Fit is quite nice, clamp force is good but not annoying, earcups could have been a tad bigger for my liking.
Only huge drawback is that it doesn’t work with a Cisco DX80. Which was one of the main use cases for me.

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #90 of 464
Yes, I have the ISAR’s since a couple of months now. Haven’t used them too much, I’m still trying to get used to over the ear headphones.
I bought them as “one-size-fits-all-except-for-serious-music-listening“ purposes. Which means in planes, calls, YouTube and video meetings. As I do not have too much experience with headphones anyway (used to have in ears and a AKG 271MKII only), I honestly cannot comment on how they compare to others.

In general, I like the sound. But again, haven’t tried with music. Fit is quite nice, clamp force is good but not annoying, earcups could have been a tad bigger for my liking.
Only huge drawback is that it doesn’t work with a Cisco DX80. Which was one of the main use cases for me.
Thanks for that info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back