Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #406 of 461
last night I ordered the Bose QC Ultra Headphones, they should be here Thursday. I'm excited to try them out.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #408 of 461
The Dali iO-12 have been added to the comparison.

As always, Maukey, very nicely done.

This is one of few instances where we have a different preference in sound quality. I prefer the sound of the iO-12 in "hi-fi" setting with ANC Off, and you prefer in "hi-fi' setting but with ANC On.

Also, and in difference with you, from my memory of the Solitaire T (I selling this in November but having a chance of comparing directly before selling), my preference, "by a hair" (using your expression), is for the Solitaire T (also in BT "High Quality" mode) vs the iO-12 (in "hi-fi" setting and ANC Off).

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #409 of 461
As always, Maukey, very nicely done.

This is one of few instances where we have a different preference in sound quality. I prefer the sound of the iO-12 in "hi-fi" setting with ANC Off, and you prefer in "hi-fi' setting but with ANC On.

Also, and in difference with you, from my memory of the Solitaire T (I selling this in November but having a chance of comparing directly before selling), my preference, "by a hair" (using your expression), is for the Solitaire T (also in BT "High Quality" mode) vs the iO-12 (in "hi-fi" setting and ANC Off).
Thanks @angelom . I think I may have a slight seal issue with my glasses on the iO-12. I prefer the bass response I get on the iO-12 with ANC On. It's very close though. I still use the iO-12 with ANC off, mainly when I connect it to my gaming DAC. ANC off definitely brings a slight increase in clarity to my ears so I have no complaints about using it that way.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #410 of 461
My Personal Favorites and the ones I use the most as of 01/15/2024
1. B&O H95
2. AirPods Pro 2
3. Dali iO-12
4. T+A Solitaire T
5. PSB M4U 9
Let me make a prediction.
In the near future, the ranking of your personal favorites will change:
1. Dali iO-12
2. AirPods Pro 2,

despite the fact that B&O H95 are really good!

End of the game

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #411 of 461
Let me make a prediction.
In the near future, the ranking of your personal favorites will change:
1. Dali iO-12
2. AirPods Pro 2,

despite the fact that B&O H95 are really good!

End of the game
I have fell in love with the H95. I am fairly certain that there are 2 different versions of this headphone. Let me explain. When the H95s were first released, I ordered them in Black from the B&O Website. My impressions of the sound was a little relaxed with an excellent bass response, a very natural midrange, and a treble that had a weird tone. The main issue for me though was that it was not loud enough for times I wanted to jam out. I still kept them anyway because of everything else they did well, and at the time they were one of the most accurate sounding anc headphones on the market. After some time went by I sold them to make room for other headphones I was trying. A few months ago I decided to order them again to get a more recent comparison to some of the newer anc headphones on the market. This time I ordered them in Blue from Amazon here in the US. This time my initial impressions were not what I remembered from my previous experience. This time the volume wasn't an issue and the treble sounded much more correct in tone to my ears. Something was different but it had been so long since I owned them I wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was firmware updates. Even updated my comparison to share my experience. Some weeks went by and I had noticed that B&O had released a special edition Ferrari version of the headphone. I sold my Blue one and ordered that one directly from B&O. As soon as I put the Ferrari Edition on my head I could tell immediately that this wasn't the same headphone in sound as my Blue one. Volume was again an issue and I did not like the treble tone. I was almost certain now that there are 2 versions. 2 weeks ago I returned the Ferrari Edition to B&O and ordered the Brown one from Amazon US. I am certain now that there are 2 versions. Is it possible there's a US and EU version? When comparing the Brown one and Ferrari one, the Brown one is around 3 DBs louder (About 2 or 3 clicks on my iPhone). The treble is much better in it's tone. It's a slightly bigger, more enjoyable sound while still maintaining it's excellent midrange and accuracy. They've been on my head a lot lately. It's a very fun headphone to use because of how well it's designed. The dials for volume and anc control, plus the most responsive touchpad on a headphone. One of the more portable options too, only defeated in portability by the Bose QC Ultra. But you may be right LOL. I love the Dali. I've just been moving around a lot lately and the H95 are much better to take out the house.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #412 of 461
I have fell in love with the H95. I am fairly certain that there are 2 different versions of this headphone. Let me explain. When the H95s were first released, I ordered them in Black from the B&O Website. My impressions of the sound was a little relaxed with an excellent bass response, a very natural midrange, and a treble that had a weird tone. The main issue for me though was that it was not loud enough for times I wanted to jam out. I still kept them anyway because of everything else they did well, and at the time they were one of the most accurate sounding anc headphones on the market. After some time went by I sold them to make room for other headphones I was trying. A few months ago I decided to order them again to get a more recent comparison to some of the newer anc headphones on the market. This time I ordered them in Blue from Amazon here in the US. This time my initial impressions were not what I remembered from my previous experience. This time the volume wasn't an issue and the treble sounded much more correct in tone to my ears. Something was different but it had been so long since I owned them I wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was firmware updates. Even updated my comparison to share my experience. Some weeks went by and I had noticed that B&W had released a special edition Ferrari version of the headphone. I sold my Blue one and ordered that one directly from B&O. As soon as I put the Ferrari Edition on my head I could tell immediately that this wasn't the same headphone in sound as my Blue one. Volume was again an issue and I did not like the treble tone. I was almost certain now that there are 2 versions. 2 weeks ago I returned the Ferrari Edition to B&O and ordered the Brown one from Amazon US. I am certain now that there are 2 versions. Is it possible there's a US and EU version? When comparing the Brown one and Ferrari one, the Brown one is around 3 DBs louder (About 2 or 3 clicks on my iPhone). The treble is much better in it's tone. It's a slightly bigger, more enjoyable sound while still maintaining it's excellent midrange and accuracy. They'e been on my head a lot lately. It's a very fun headphone to use because of how well it's designed. The dials for volume and anc control, plus the most responsive touchpad on a headphone. One of the more portable options too, only defeated in portability by the Bose QC Ultra. But you may be right LOL. I love the Dali. I've just been moving around a lot lately and the H95 are much better to take out the house.
This matches with my impressions too - I had an H95 back in 2020 with a treble response that felt a bit punishing at times, but the set I have now has no such issue.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #414 of 461
I have fell in love with the H95. I am fairly certain that there are 2 different versions of this headphone. Let me explain. When the H95s were first released, I ordered them in Black from the B&O Website. My impressions of the sound was a little relaxed with an excellent bass response, a very natural midrange, and a treble that had a weird tone. The main issue for me though was that it was not loud enough for times I wanted to jam out. I still kept them anyway because of everything else they did well, and at the time they were one of the most accurate sounding anc headphones on the market. After some time went by I sold them to make room for other headphones I was trying. A few months ago I decided to order them again to get a more recent comparison to some of the newer anc headphones on the market. This time I ordered them in Blue from Amazon here in the US. This time my initial impressions were not what I remembered from my previous experience. This time the volume wasn't an issue and the treble sounded much more correct in tone to my ears. Something was different but it had been so long since I owned them I wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was firmware updates. Even updated my comparison to share my experience. Some weeks went by and I had noticed that B&O had released a special edition Ferrari version of the headphone. I sold my Blue one and ordered that one directly from B&O. As soon as I put the Ferrari Edition on my head I could tell immediately that this wasn't the same headphone in sound as my Blue one. Volume was again an issue and I did not like the treble tone. I was almost certain now that there are 2 versions. 2 weeks ago I returned the Ferrari Edition to B&O and ordered the Brown one from Amazon US. I am certain now that there are 2 versions. Is it possible there's a US and EU version? When comparing the Brown one and Ferrari one, the Brown one is around 3 DBs louder (About 2 or 3 clicks on my iPhone). The treble is much better in it's tone. It's a slightly bigger, more enjoyable sound while still maintaining it's excellent midrange and accuracy. They've been on my head a lot lately. It's a very fun headphone to use because of how well it's designed. The dials for volume and anc control, plus the most responsive touchpad on a headphone. One of the more portable options too, only defeated in portability by the Bose QC Ultra. But you may be right LOL. I love the Dali. I've just been moving around a lot lately and the H95 are much better to take out the house.
The H95 age like wine. I never thought I’d find a pair of headphones I liked more than the Px8 but while they were in the shop, I picked the H95 up and haven’t put them back down. They may not get as loud as other headphones but at around 75db they are plenty powerful.

Thanks for your dedication to this comparison thread. It has been awesome.

When you are out and about with the h95, do you take the case?

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #415 of 461
The main downside with the H95 imo is the comfort - not great for folk with huge heads like me. Might have to return it for this reason...

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #416 of 461
The main downside with the H95 imo is the comfort - not great for folk with huge heads like me. Might have to return it for this reason...
Much to like about the H95, but the headband always felt a little hard on my head.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #417 of 461
Much to like about the H95, but the headband always felt a little hard on my head.
Like cameras, I suspect the “best” headphone will be the one you are most likely to use… Cell phones took the “best” camera crown not because they shoot better photos, but because extreme convenience and good enough photos makes them the camera everyone reaches for. For headphones, comfort to me is one of those do or die features, regardless of whether I can hear a choir of angels singing when I put them on, if they are uncomfortable I won’t bother :)

Of all the great headphones on this thread, I only have the Bathys. I am going to treat myself to one of the higher tier this year, and am excited to see how all the comparisons turn out as these will definitely influence my decision!

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #418 of 461
The H95 age like wine. I never thought I’d find a pair of headphones I liked more than the Px8 but while they were in the shop, I picked the H95 up and haven’t put them back down. They may not get as loud as other headphones but at around 75db they are plenty powerful.

Thanks for your dedication to this comparison thread. It has been awesome.

When you are out and about with the h95, do you take the case?
If commuting or running errands, no. Just hang them around my neck. If going into the office or traveling, yes. I love the case. Very well thought out. Hard case, but still a smaller footprint than many of the other portable headphone cases.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #419 of 461
Airpods Max are the loudest. Keep in mind I use all Apple products so I can't say the same holds true for other devices. The Dali is the quietest of the bunch. The H95 and Dali are comparable with the H95 a little louder than the Dali.
Hi sorry I’m a bit late on this but I am interested in buying the bathys. I have the AirPods Max at present and wandered if the bathys were as loud as the APM or indeed if the bowers px8 were, another headphone I am interested in. The AirPods Max are just about loud enough for me and I would be a little wary of getting headphones that cannot reach their volume. Afraid my earring is not what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #420 of 461
Hi sorry I’m a bit late on this but I am interested in buying the bathys. I have the AirPods Max at present and wandered if the bathys were as loud as the APM or indeed if the bowers px8 were, another headphone I am interested in. The AirPods Max are just about loud enough for me and I would be a little wary of getting headphones that cannot reach their volume. Afraid my earring is not what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
The Focal Bathys and PX8 are both at the very least just as loud as the AirPods Max. If my memory servers me correctly, both of these are a little louder than the AirPods Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back