Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Feb 13, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #18 of 464
Just added a new one to my collection. Will be adding these to the rankings when I get a little more time with them.

Mark Levinson № 5909

C4C3BD9C-D9D1-459A-A8B2-6950F14D18E9.jpeg

ADDBF7A2-5F5B-4FE0-B75D-D322951FBB93.jpeg

E3F5132C-EA61-409A-83FD-9F189352101F.jpeg

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 464
Just added a new one to my collection. Will be adding these to the rankings when I get a little more time with them.

Mark Levinson № 5909

C4C3BD9C-D9D1-459A-A8B2-6950F14D18E9.jpeg

ADDBF7A2-5F5B-4FE0-B75D-D322951FBB93.jpeg

E3F5132C-EA61-409A-83FD-9F189352101F.jpeg
we are looking forward reading your listening report of the 5909, and how it compare to your other headphones...

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 464
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 464
I have updated my original post again. I cleaned up the entire post to account for the headphones I've added since the original post. I've also added a "Personal Favorites" section to show my personal favorites and the headphones I'm currently using the most. For those wondering, "Personal Favorites" is not the same as "Overall". I use the "Overall" section as more of a recommendation based on what I believe would be best for most people. "Personal Favorites" is just that, my favorites.

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 464
Tnx for the great review. Actually I am thinking of buying either Dali IO6 or H95 based on your reviews. Mark Levinson is so expensive, like 1000e and B&O h95 could be found for 600e and Dali for 400. What is the sound difference between those two headphones Dali and B&O? What is bass like in DALI in comparison to H95? Overall is the h95 that much better for enjoying the music at home? I like a V shape sound but hate SONY 1000 XM3 sound signature for example. Muddy bass exaggerated also... not good, not good at all. I have Meze 99 classics, ATH m50x and loved them. But I don't have experience with wireless headphones. Don't like Beats and that popular garbage, really appreciate musical well tuned headphones. What would be your suggestion as far as price is concerned? I love to listen classic music, jazz, funk, latin , lounge music, old rock.... 70's, 80's..90's...rnb sometimes, house ect...

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 464
Tnx for the great review. Actually I am thinking of buying either Dali IO6 or H95 based on your reviews. Mark Levinson is so expensive, like 1000e and B&O h95 could be found for 600e and Dali for 400. What is the sound difference between those two headphones Dali and B&O? What is bass like in DALI in comparison to H95? Overall is the h95 that much better for enjoying the music at home? I like a V shape sound but hate SONY 1000 XM3 sound signature for example. Muddy bass exaggerated also... not good, not good at all. I have Meze 99 classics, ATH m50x and loved them. But I don't have experience with wireless headphones. Don't like Beats and that popular garbage, really appreciate musical well tuned headphones. What would be your suggestion as far as price is concerned? I love to listen classic music, jazz, funk, latin , lounge music, old rock.... 70's, 80's..90's...rnb sometimes, house ect...
Hi sonicdream. It's difficult for me to describe the bass between the two. I will say it like this, the H95 has a little more mid and high bass. Kick drums are more distinct and bass guitars stand out a little more. The iO6 has a more even bass overall to my ears with a slight boost across the board. Sub bass stands out more on the iO6. The bass has more of a 3D, punchier feel to me on the iO6 which I personally prefer. Maybe it's because of the design of the ear cups and the fact that the leather on the iO6 is harder and of what seems to me of lesser quality, but you can feel the bass a little more on the iO6. Neither headphone I would describe as necessarily V shaped, but the iO6 is maybe slightly closer. Where the iO6 really take the win for me is in the Treble response. As a drummer myself, cymbals sound much more natural and accurate on the iO6. The one thing I think the H95s have going for it over the iO6 is that it's a tad more forgiving with poorly recorded tracks. If you'll be listening to lower bitrate tracks, I think the H95s will play better.

In summary, if you will be commuting and traveling with your headphones in any capacity, I would choose the H95 hands down. It has a much better ANC, Transparency, Call Quality, Design, and Look. It also has better features. If you will mainly be using them at home, the iO6 wins in term of comfort (for my head) and sound, just remember, it's a very bare bones headphone. Both headphones work with pretty much any genre including all you listed. If you can live with the slightly artificial treble response of the H95, it's the better headphone overall.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #25 of 464
Hi sonicdream. It's difficult for me to describe the bass between the two. I will say it like this, the H95 has a little more mid and high bass. Kick drums are more distinct and bass guitars stand out a little more. The iO6 has a more even bass overall to my ears with a slight boost across the board. Sub bass stands out more on the iO6. The bass has more of a 3D, punchier feel to me on the iO6 which I personally prefer. Maybe it's because of the design of the ear cups and the fact that the leather on the iO6 is harder and of what seems to me of lesser quality, but you can feel the bass a little more on the iO6. Neither headphone I would describe as necessarily V shaped, but the iO6 is maybe slightly closer. Where the iO6 really take the win for me is in the Treble response. As a drummer myself, cymbals sound much more natural and accurate on the iO6. The one thing I think the H95s have going for it over the iO6 is that it's a tad more forgiving with poorly recorded tracks. If you'll be listening to lower bitrate tracks, I think the H95s will play better.

In summary, if you will be commuting and traveling with your headphones in any capacity, I would choose the H95 hands down. It has a much better ANC, Transparency, Call Quality, Design, and Look. It also has better features. If you will mainly be using them at home, the iO6 wins in term of comfort (for my head) and sound, just remember, it's a very bare bones headphone. Both headphones work with pretty much any genre including all you listed. If you can live with the slightly artificial treble response of the H95, it's the better headphone overall.
Thank you so much. I have a store near my place where I can listen to DALI. So if I like the sound maybe I should save up 200e and get the Dali IO6. Also if ANC is not that good on IO6 maybe I should go with IO4? That saves me even more, like 150e more. I will be listening to it mostly at home, maybe occasionally on my commute to work or on winter and summer vacation at some other place. But, I like so much that build quality of H95 and design, it seems like a good investment peace that will last, and not brake, and by all the reviews I can conclude the sound is like the artists wanted it to be with no emphasis on anything which I really appreciate, maybe a bit on bass that makes it more fun to listen to which I like. Also on Amazon.com it has the highest rating for the sound of all the others closed back wireless headphones if that matters at all :). I was thinking of B&W PX7, everyone loved them on their reviews, but say they are quite hard to listen to after some time because its like sitting in front of the live concert everything is to much "in your face"? That is why I narrow it down to great sounding Dali and H95.

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #26 of 464
Also one more question, can I use H95 without powering them ON? Via usb or 3.5mm? Or thay have to be always on? That will ruin the battery quicker? Does anyone know how much would cost to replace the battery? What is the situation with DALI in comparison, and how is the sound quality in wired mode in comparison of Dali and B&O?
Sorry if being boring :frowning2:

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #27 of 464
Also one more question, can I use H95 without powering them ON? Via usb or 3.5mm? Or thay have to be always on? That will ruin the battery quicker? Does anyone know how much would cost to replace the battery? What is the situation with DALI in comparison, and how is the sound quality in wired mode in comparison of Dali and B&O?
Sorry if being boring :frowning2:
You can not listen to the H95 in passive mode (without power). You can listen to the Dali in passive mode but it doesn't sound good to my ears. A little to harsh in the treble region and upper mids.

In regards to your post before this one, I wouldn't say the PX7 is hard to listen to. It can be inconsistent because of it's treble response. It has a very uneven treble so some recordings can sound lispy or for a lack of better terms, not quite right. It does have a live concert sound, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's in your face. I've tried headphones like the Beats Studio 3 and 1000XM4 which sounds much more in your face to me than the PX7. To be honest, the PX7 is my current favorite fun wireless anc headphone. It has a unique tuning to anything on the market. Hip hop, pop, r&b, some funk, and some acoustic music sounds masterful on them. It's also is a great wireless anc headphone for gaming and movies. I actually use it for gaming when my wife isn't home. One underrated feature of the PX7 that I haven't seen anyone talk about is it's ability to stay connected via bluetooth to your phone even though you have it connected via a wire to another source. This allows me to not miss phone calls while I'm gaming. I can be playing my PS5, get a call on my phone, and answer it even though I have it plugged into my controller or gaming dac. I LOVE this feature. I use to miss phone calls when my wife is out and about, now no more. No other wireless headphone I've tried allows this. Usually on other headphones when you plug in the cable, it disconnects the bluetooth.

As far as the Dalis go, the Dali iO4 is a better buy than the iO6 if you get a good seal. Remember what I said in my original post, the Dali struggles with seal issues. The iO6's ANC corrects any broken seal. If you get the iO4 and you don't get a good seal, it will not sound good. I would definitely demo the iO4 or iO6 with ANC turned off to make sure you're getting a good seal/sound before buying the iO4s.

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #28 of 464
You can not listen to the H95 in passive mode (without power). You can listen to the Dali in passive mode but it doesn't sound good to my ears. A little to harsh in the treble region and upper mids.

In regards to your post before this one, I wouldn't say the PX7 is hard to listen to. It can be inconsistent because of it's treble response. It has a very uneven treble so some recordings can sound lispy or for a lack of better terms, not quite right. It does have a live concert sound, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's in your face. I've tried headphones like the Beats Studio 3 and 1000XM4 which sounds much more in your face to me than the PX7. To be honest, the PX7 is my current favorite fun wireless anc headphone. It has a unique tuning to anything on the market. Hip hop, pop, r&b, some funk, and some acoustic music sounds masterful on them. It's also is a great wireless anc headphone for gaming and movies. I actually use it for gaming when my wife isn't home. One underrated feature of the PX7 that I haven't seen anyone talk about is it's ability to stay connected via bluetooth to your phone even though you have it connected via a wire to another source. This allows me to not miss phone calls while I'm gaming. I can be playing my PS5, get a call on my phone, and answer it even though I have it plugged into my controller or gaming dac. I LOVE this feature. I use to miss phone calls when my wife is out and about, now no more. No other wireless headphone I've tried allows this. Usually on other headphones when you plug in the cable, it disconnects the bluetooth.

As far as the Dalis go, the Dali iO4 is a better buy than the iO6 if you get a good seal. Remember what I said in my original post, the Dali struggles with seal issues. The iO6's ANC corrects any broken seal. If you get the iO4 and you don't get a good seal, it will not sound good. I would definitely demo the iO4 or iO6 with ANC turned off to make sure you're getting a good seal/sound before buying the iO4s.
Thank you so very much. I appreciate your time for explaining me everything. Now I need to find a free time to test by myself and make decision about my purchase. :)

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #30 of 464
One more question:) In terms of the loudness how would you compare Airpods Max, H95 and Dali io6?
Airpods Max are the loudest. Keep in mind I use all Apple products so I can't say the same holds true for other devices. The Dali is the quietest of the bunch. The H95 and Dali are comparable with the H95 a little louder than the Dali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back