Sick of Hip Hop?
Mar 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlEnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that doesnt say much for the writter of this article ...

someone can call me out on this but... generally music on the radio sucks. Pop/country/rock/rap whatever station is just part of a business model. Alittle digging and you can find great x genre of music in my opinion.. or my experience.

but of course, any one with half a brain would agree
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobie72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not calll the rap that is put out nowadays hip hop. There is a distinct difference that many people don't realize. From the way the journalist in the article seems to use the terms interchangeably seems to reflect this. Anyways, I really only listen to the old school stuff like PE, KRS1, Mr Lif, etc.

The new stuff is only good for mindless head-bopping. To each his own.

I'm not sure that there really is any genuine difference between hip-hop and rap any more. It used to be that rap was the pure "gansta" or mindless stuff and hip-hop was complex and interesting, but there's so much less of the interesting stuff now that it's fair to complain about the demise of hip-hop. I think that's what the article was really getting at, at its core.

It's interesting to me that it was Nas was one to openly proclaim "Hip Hop is Dead" on an album. I think Nas' career and recordings real have paralleled the rise, corruption, and collapse of hip-hop. He had such a promising, fantastic debut, then got dragged down by banal, mainstream output.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlEnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also I don't see why listening to RHCP coincide with the degeneration of hip-hop

its probably growth ... listening to things outside the realm of whats playing on your local rap radio station/whatever is on bet

That's what I would hope. That sales of the radio crap are going down and not the stuff that's actually worth listening to. Or either people just expanding thier taste in genre... even if it's all radio crap.

However I really feel that people have just had an overload. It's boring now.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 69
I am really glad to see that there are still some fans out there who care enough about hip-hop to realise that there's a problem with what it has become.

IMHO the problem is that, nowadays, people who buy and listen to hip-hop don't love it for the music (i.e. the lyrics, the flow and delivery, the skill it takes...). They love it for the catchy beats (someone mentioned about producers being the one's in the driving seat), the image and the lifestyle. If they actually sat down and really listened, they would realise that how much utter crap they are listening to.

I'm still waiting for a breakthrough as I refuse to accept that hip-hop is dying. There are still some artists and groups out there who are progressive, creative and innovative (eg. The Roots, J5, Common). They simply put the mainstream hip-hop artists to shame.

To be honest, I'm glad that hip-hop sales are down. Maybe this will wake up the industry and create a demand for real talent.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure that there really is any genuine difference between hip-hop and rap any more. It used to be that rap was the pure "gansta" or mindless stuff and hip-hop was complex and interesting, but there's so much less of the interesting stuff now that it's fair to complain about the demise of hip-hop. I think that's what the article was really getting at, at its core.

Personally, I define the distinction between hip-hop and rap as the following:
- Rap is a verb, i.e. it's the act of delivering lyrics in time and context. This could be rap in any genre of music (eg. rock).
- Hip-hop is a noun. It's a genre, a musical style, a culture and a way of life.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to anyone else. It's just the way I view things.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #37 of 69
Sure there is. Just because record companies try to pass something off as hip hop doesn't make it so. Here's a good article about the distinct differences:

http://www.rapnewsdirect.com/0-202-258159-00.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's interesting to me that it was Nas was one to openly proclaim "Hip Hop is Dead" on an album. I think Nas' career and recordings real have paralleled the rise, corruption, and collapse of hip-hop. He had such a promising, fantastic debut, then got dragged down by banal, mainstream output.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #38 of 69
I'm glad this version of hip hop is dying. There is some positive stuff out there but it's ignored for the ghetto thuggery.

I like old Public Enemy and The Roots amongst others. The Roots are a lot of fun cause they actually play instruments...imagine that. And PE...well they always had something to say that made you think. And it had nothing to do with cars and hos.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #39 of 69
screw and chop that sh@#, slowed and throwed, draped up and dripped out representin' that h-town SLAB yall, respect.

if this HF sh$! dont work out i'm back 2 trappin' with my ipod y'all.

yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I define the distinction between hip-hop and rap as the following:
- Rap is a verb, i.e. it's the act of delivering lyrics in time and context. This could be rap in any genre of music (eg. rock).
- Hip-hop is a noun. It's a genre, a musical style, a culture and a way of life.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to anyone else. It's just the way I view things.

it makes perfect sense...rapping after all, means 'talk' 'to spit' 'to mack' 'chop it up' etc it's slang...but there are many diff. views, that being one of them, it really depends on what context you're speaking on and what particular topic...as it can be ambiguous and go many different ways

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobie72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure there is. Just because record companies try to pass something off as hip hop doesn't make it so. Here's a good article about the distinct differences:

http://www.rapnewsdirect.com/0-202-258159-00.html

That's an interesting article, but it's just one artist's perspective, and the distinction he uses seems pretty dubious in my mind. Under his criteria, music that includes graffiti, emceeing, and DJing but not breakdancing is neither hip hop or rap, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I see the difference between rap and hip hop now (not ten years ago -- now) as a distinction without a difference.

It's interesting that the Wikipedia article for hip-hop and rap is the same; they don't make a distinction between the two:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music
They do however, distinguish rapping as a verb, but they treat gansta rap as a sub-genre of hip hop. Wikipedia is hardly authoritative, of course, but it's generally good for music because the people who write the articles are rabid fans. Their articles on the various subgenres of metal and electronica are particularly good.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #43 of 69
guys, what you're missing is that one of the big things this article was about was the negative effects of hip-hop music on society. in my opinion, it's stupid to think that music really has an impact on real life at all... think of it exactly like you'd think of soccer moms saying Iron Maiden, Metallica, Alice In Chains and other such rock bands causing people to commit suicide. i can not emphasize how much i do not care about negative imagery in hip-hop. i don't give a **** if people make themselves look like big idiots, it's not my problem. hell, i don't care if there's really stupid lyrical themes in rock music, either. i've said this before, i'd by a bob dylan album about eating babies as long as it was good music.

do i care about stupid wiggers acting like they're "gangsta", and being annoying? no. it's really funny actually, i like seeing big lanky white dudes walking down the street with backwards baseball caps, baggy basketball shorts, loose white shirts and plastic bling.

do i enjoy hip-hop? yes. it's potentially the most fun genre of music i can think of. OutKast, Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Dr. Dre, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Common, and others like them give hip-hop a good name. the other 99% gives it a bad name. pretty much every genre is almost all crap with some good stuff thrown in there. it wasn't like that a while ago... i can't go back to a year before i was born that has tons of good music.

we're going to look back on mainstream hip-hop in 20 years like we look back at disco today. trust me...

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok here's a question for the thread...

How often are you actually exposed to enough hiphop/rap to make you "sick" of it? I almost never hear hiphop or rap...it's never played on any of the radio stations I listen to, I don't own any rap CD's, and I don't watch MTV/BET/VH1 or whatever. I personally don't like hiphop or rap, but I listen to what I want and actually don't have a problem with hiphop or rap at all because I never have to hear it.

i always wonder, the air quality is bad so you don't breath? of course unless you don't need "air". also, i see a lot more "i got tired of hiphop" than "i love hiphop", not just here but almost every forum. sure the hiphop isn't what it used to but who really listen/grow up with to what it used to? do people really want to talk about hiphop OR something else? i never really talk about this "i hate hiphop" because this really ain't going nowhere. by the way Mrvile, thanks for pointing this out.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so why is he talkin about skating then????
you right though.........didn't even bother to listen to his lp(lupe fiasco)

He skates as transportation. He also wanted to bring light to the skateboard scene and African-American skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back