Sick of Hip Hop?
Mar 3, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very simple: mainstream hip-hop is some of the worst music ever made. That's why I only listen to underground stuff and the classics.

Quoted for simpilicity and truth. The classics are where it's at. The same for jazz. Jazz def. started sucking in the 80's (totally my opinion, but it's true
evil_smiley.gif
) but there is a plethora of bop and hard-bop; so much so in fact that I'm not sure I'll ever listen to it all. Hip hop started being stale a while ago but there is A LOT of old school stuff 70's and 80's that one should never have to resort to listening to the smut on Clear Channel stations.

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 69
I would not calll the rap that is put out nowadays hip hop. There is a distinct difference that many people don't realize. From the way the journalist in the article seems to use the terms interchangeably seems to reflect this. Anyways, I really only listen to the old school stuff like PE, KRS1, Mr Lif, etc.

The new stuff is only good for mindless head-bopping. To each his own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-large]YES![/size]
I'm so sick of hip-hip and rap. Or at least all the bad rap and hip hop that gets crapped out every few minutes.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 69
My biggest problem with rap the last 10 years has been the fact that the actual rapping has been awful. The acts that are coming out today are nothing more than glorified models that stand on stage and say random things over a well produced beat. In the mid 90's record companies realized that all you needed to make a good selling rap album was good producers. All the major acts in the last 10 years have just been clowns rhyming over a Dre, Timbaland, Neptunes, P Diddy, or Kanye West beat. I'm probably forgetting some people but the bottom line is that rap music today has no talented rappers in the mainstream. Kanye West is an awful rapper, period. Yet he sells millions of records. Thats the state of affairs in rap music. The only mainstream rap acts I listen to now are The Roots and Talib Kweli.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #23 of 69
Ok here's a question for the thread...

How often are you actually exposed to enough hiphop/rap to make you "sick" of it? I almost never hear hiphop or rap...it's never played on any of the radio stations I listen to, I don't own any rap CD's, and I don't watch MTV/BET/VH1 or whatever. I personally don't like hiphop or rap, but I listen to what I want and actually don't have a problem with hiphop or rap at all because I never have to hear it.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #24 of 69
Rap as it was and as it was meant to be died as soon as the first middle class white suburbanite teenager uttered the words: "pimpin' ain't easy, foo." Its been a downhill "art" from there. When rappers from the "hood" started using the situations of those who have to live in the "ghetto" to attract the children of the well off, they lost all credibility in my eyes. Its been a sad journey from the days of Run DMC to the era of Kanye West.

Edit* Mrvile - I'm exposed to rap daily. Mostly in my dorm, where it is blasted out the door of the kids down the hall. My brother plays it constantly when I'm home. So, I've heard enough "lean wit it, bounce wit it" or whatever to last me forever.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok here's a question for the thread...

How often are you actually exposed to enough hiphop/rap to make you "sick" of it? I almost never hear hiphop or rap...it's never played on any of the radio stations I listen to, I don't own any rap CD's, and I don't watch MTV/BET/VH1 or whatever. I personally don't like hiphop or rap, but I listen to what I want and actually don't have a problem with hiphop or rap at all because I never have to hear it.

I'm only exposed to Rap or Hip Hop when I want to be exposed to it (Stuff in my own collection) but, there are a few exceptions. Like being in a friend's car or something along those lines. Not enough to get sick of it if it's good. However if it's crappy music I usually tire of it within one song
wink.gif

Although recently my iPod ran out of batteries while I was in the subway. Some idiot had one of those mp3 phones and was blasting some horrible rapper out of those crappy speakers. It took all my will power not to yank the idiot up and through him out of the train. How freakin rude!

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then we should call those pseudo-intellectuals

that doesnt say much for the writter of this article ...

someone can call me out on this but... generally music on the radio sucks. Pop/country/rock/rap whatever station is just part of a business model. Alittle digging and you can find great x genre of music in my opinion.. or my experience.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #29 of 69
Well even then, I don't think it would be enough to get "sick" of it.

Realistically, I do hear some rap in my life. I used to work at a banquet center, and any parties with relatively young (or black) people, which happened weekly, would have a lot of rap music. And some of my friends listen to a lot of rap, so I'd hear it whenever I was in their cars. But whenever I heard any of it, I didn't pay too much attention to it and just had a good time. Then when I got home, I was back to listening to whatever I wanted to. Unless I could absolutely not get away from it, I don't think I could actually get sick of rap, hiphop, or any type of music.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well even then, I don't think it would be enough to get "sick" of it.

The article is about people who actually listen to Hip Hop getting tired of it. Not people who don't listen to it.

Quote:

Rap insider Chuck Creekmur, who runs the leading Web site Allhiphop.com, says he got a message from a friend recently "asking me to hook her up with some Red Hot Chili Peppers because she said she's through with rap. A lot of people are sick of rap ... the negativity is just over the top now."

Quote:

Nicole Duncan-Smith grew up on rap, worked in the rap industry for years and is married to a hip-hop producer. She still listens to rap, but says it no longer speaks to or for her.

And it's not about getting sick of it because of over playing either. It's about getting sick of the overload of crap out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back