Sibilance check, check check one two, sibilance...
Jan 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #16 of 28
Fish/Marillion - he has a very sibilant voice.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey, Nocturnal310, it just dawned to me that you're on notebookreview as well, right?

much before i joined head-fi..u got the same username?

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #20 of 28
Lisa Miskovskys Driving one of your Carssssssshhh

It´s SSssshoo could. Sings quite slowly and it makes my ears bleed on my PRO 900 under burn in. I hope they will at least get to the level of the 750 which also shows sibilance but that you can handle at least. AKG 240 also shows signs so I think it´s a good track
smily_headphones1.gif

As for sibilance what is the main reasons for it? How much can source and amp effect this? I tried directly out of my soundcard and through my heed canamp still got the same really.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
much before i joined head-fi..u got the same username?

Yup.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #23 of 28
I found the track "stop this train" by John Mayer to very sibilant can someone confirm?

I'll explain "may relation" with sibilance in separate post, but using this track with headphones at the edge of being sibilant I found that vocal of this guy is quite specific and could be sibilant, but such cans have to be really bad. Music part of the track is fine.

May 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #24 of 28
Loreena McKennit - Blacksmith (from the album Elemental)

Ok. Once again - explanations about my setup later, but concerning this track you may hear sibilance in certain part of lyrics. Metal instruments sound very clean, so making tham sibilant it has to be very bad headphones. For my mod everything sounded of the safe side.

BTW, Thanks for pointing at good singer.

May 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 28
Getting tired of cables I decided to convert some of my cans to 3.5 jack since I already have good (sibilant free) cables. All other gear never showed even a glimpse of sibilance, also I tried to choose no sibilant hp's for my collection.

Disassembling Takstar Hi2050 I decided to rip both inner filling and outside sponge and thick and dense felt cover covering all speaker grill. Since I have an experience with “unveiling” sound signatures, I replaced huge inner insertion by a piece of medium dense smooth felt.

Trying on I found a positive change in soundstage, all became sharper. Much brighter, but not harsh. Not a solution for treble haters, but many songs now sound very open and airy. Getting free space inside cans also added a bit of body to lows and slightly improved the punch.
All mentioned changes for me were pure positives, but listening for some of test tracks I found a horrible sibilance in voices and instrumental part.

Returning original felt cover removed sibilance, but also returned a correct but dull and lazy sound.
My wife found in her collection another piece of wool felt. Twice thinner and with lower density. Much lower I should say. Trying cans again I found sound more cleaner, sharper and airy. Problematic tracks now sound “clinical”, but no sibilance, or better say on the edge of being sibilant.
Since putting denser and thicker cover will kill the vibrant sound again, at the moment I decided to keep them as-is till I’ll find some other materials to try.
Sibilance is under control now, but treble is clinical, not for lazy-dazy music hearing.
So I'd love to soften them a bit for everyday use, but right now they truly deserve the name of the studio/monitor/reference cans.

Also I’ll give 3 tracks which became heavily sibilant (the first one was a 100% surprise for me).
1. Bananarama – Venus
2. Edith Piaf – Padam… Padam
3. Emerson. Lake & Palmer - Fanfare For The Common Man

Some time ago I was looking for sibilant tracks in other places and found that many persons mentioned that guitars in Nirvana’s – "Smells like teen spirit" are sibilant. But even stripped Hi2050 showed me nothing in this song.

May 9, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #28 of 28
Spin Twirl - Kidstreet.

Lots Tssssss from female vocals. Good fun song otherwise.

Fun song - YES. Sibilant - DUNNO. Ss-es could lead to sibilance, but it is not 100%. I have found only 192kbps CBR MP3, and my close to sibilance hp's played it completely safe. It's hard to find in HQ (no even talking about lossless).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back