Shure, you gotta be kidding.
Jul 25, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
eh, I wouldn't say greed in this case. I don't think they plan to aggregiously overcharge the Canadians. I mean, the retail is $500 USD, and the price on TigerDirect is near that after the conversion.

I actually pre-ordered mine for $400.00 USD and with shipping and everything to Canada was coming to a little over $470.00 Candian. Also, Tiger direct would charge 14% tax on their listed price which would make it well over $750.00 which to me is insane. I guess we will have to wait for them to appear on ebay for a reasonable price. I can wait and will read more reviews from users once they get them before pulling the trigger. I am sure somone here will be selling theirs once they get them.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I've taken enough international business classes to know that middle-man distributors generally suck.

What's up, Shure? Care to comment?
rolleyes.gif
Do you have anything at all constructive to say to loyal customers who waited months to pay top dollar for your new product, only to be told, "Sorry, you can only get these at a higher, artificially inflated price, because we decided to product some middleman over you."

Plainsong, can you point me to where the inflated price is?

Best,

-Jason

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 135
i just noticed your from winnipeg, small world. a lot of people use these guys for buying rims and tires out of the states and driving down to pick them up and clear customs themselves so they might work for you as well
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.menkesparcel.com/

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 135
I can probably hook some Canadians up. Just pay for shipping and leave me good feedback
tongue.gif
All the stores will start shipping at the same time, right? So, it won't be any less convenient to ship multiple E500s.

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #20 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

Best,

-Jason

An article I read a week or so ago on engadget here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/19/s...ing-earphones/

The UK price of £419 at an exchange rate of around 1.85 according to XE.com equals... $775 compared to $500 for US customers. No wonder they want us to buy from UK retailers.

K!

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #21 of 135
tomorrow morning i am calling Shure headquarters(small minds) on this policy of theres, that seems they created in the last minute. i'm sorry but its my choice which retailer mortar n brick or online that i decide i want to do business with, not theirs. this is a bad business decision on their part to make up this policy cause its turned me off of the E500s and any other future products of Shures. last year i was on earphonesolutions.com pre-order list for the E4Cs, they never had a problem with that. there decision with this is not a logical one in my mind, instead of the E500s i'll consider waiting for the ultimate ears upcoming new release. i'm shure they have no problems taking my money for the sale.

i'd like to see Sugarfried chime in on this thread, i'd be interested to see his response.

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #22 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xythe
An article I read a week or so ago on engadget here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/19/s...ing-earphones/

The UK price of £419 at an exchange rate of around 1.85 according to XE.com equals... $775 compared to $500 for US customers. No wonder they want us to buy from UK retailers.

K!

Wherd.

I'm going to hold the rest of my opinion until I find out whether this is true or not.

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #23 of 135
Honestly I can understand Shure. It is not that I like their decision (I might have bought the E500 through earphonesolution as well, if I would have wanted them) but I know that they are in a difficult situation.
If you want your products to be sold internationally you will have to respect and support your distributors.
I know how some German dealers must feel these days. The UE super.fi 5Pro still cost 249 € when bought through official dealers. When someone like earphonesolutions does a blowout sale for 190 $ including shipping they know that you will propably not sell a set for quite some time. Until all special priced items are gone and the dust has settled. Considering the fact that you will get 1,4 $ for 1 € you will end up with almost 100 € saved. What a deal.
BUT this only works if you get them through customs for free somehow (or you will be charged an additional 30 €) and if the product works flawlessly. Some people do not consider these facts when buying these items out of their country. Al they see is the price.
And one thing is certain. The moment an item starts having trouble, at least half of the buyers will not contact the original seller but try to get it fixed through the local distributors somehow. They will try to avoid the time and costs involved with a international repair/return.
I have talked or mailed with guys who would find it OK to buy an item locally, try it out for the 14 days trial time and return it afterwards to get the thing a lot cheaper from some international seller
blink.gif

So again, I do not like what Shure does but I can understand their decision.

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #24 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinrite
this is a bad business decision on their part to make up this policy cause its turned me off of the E500s and any other future products of Shures. last year i was on earphonesolutions.com pre-order list for the E4Cs, they never had a problem with that. there decision with this is not a logical one in my mind.

Same here. I live in Italy and I received my E4c from earphonesolutions in a week last year... this is very bad news. I am NOT going to purchase the E500 in Euros, I am too well aware of how much a price can inflate when it's converted from US$ to Euros or, worse, from US$ to UK pounds.

I didn't pre-order the E500, but I would have if I had the money, and I find this very upsetting.

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 135
I predict funny stuff happening,

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #26 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
The UE super.fi 5Pro still cost 249 € when bought through official dealers. When someone like earphonesolutions does a blowout sale for 190 $ including shipping they know that you will propably not sell a set for quite some time. Until all special priced items are gone and the dust has settled. Considering the fact that you will get 1,4 $ for 1 € you will end up with almost 100 € saved. What a deal.

What a deal, indeed. However, this is a bit exaggerated, there's always people who will buy an item from a local retailer, no matter the price. They will, because they get the item faster and, should anything happen, they'll have a retailer nearby.

Problem is, since many hi-tech items get released in the US first, it's quite obvious that the people that are really interested in them will find out about them on the Internet or in forums like Head-Fi. So, why should they wait for a late local release and pay an inflated price, when the US price + shipping is cheaper 9 times out of 10? Saving 100 euros does matter, you know

And then, this is a last-second deliberation. There's people who've had the E500 on pre-order for months, and now they're left without their long-awaited purchase, with not so much as a warning.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #27 of 135
Just makes me happy i don't like IEM's but for people in the EU that do and have been waiting for the E500 there's a simple solution if the EU price turns out to be silly,either grit your teeth and part with the cash, or don't buy them!!!
There was a hifi dealer near me that had some grado and when i talked to him about his price on the RS1 £629 [around $1160] he said they did'nt really expect to sell them just keeping a few different models in the shop so customers could see what a bargain the Senn range were !!! they only ever seemed to sell Sennheiser,now i wonder why? his prices were [about a year ago] RS1 £629 OR SENN HD650 £249 take into account that the HD650 can be had for £169 easy in the UK.
If the info in this thread about Shures E500 stategy is correct then maybe they are only interested in supplying the US market? i have no idea.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyli3
Just makes me happy i don't like IEM's but for people in the EU that do and have been waiting for the E500 there's a simple solution if the EU price turns out to be silly,either grit your teeth and part with the cash, or don't buy them!!!

This, you would call a "solution"?
biggrin.gif
C'mon, cheap philosophy doesn't apply in marketing issues. The "if you can't/don't want to, then don't do it" answer is really getting old, and I guess it hasn't saved a single buck so far
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #29 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

Best,

-Jason

I can point to history and common sense. What distributor resells products at the suggested msrp of the product's origin point? Uhhh... none that I know of. It's a middle man. Someone in the middle who expects some profits. Use your common sense.

If you want a frame of reference in the headphone world, just look at Grado. Is the Rs-1 worth €1600? Even the Shure distributor here sells above msrp. They all do. There are other entry points into a country's market than distributors, giving you more control over getting your product marketed to the customers you want to reach. Distributors give little to no control, but at least they cost a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back