Shure Will not fix SE 530
Jun 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jolegs

New Head-Fier
I got a message from Shure customer service today.  They told me that they cannot replace/fix my Shure SE 530 because they are no longer making them.  They are asking me if I want the SE 535 and pay $256 extra.  So, am I trapped with a defective headphone since I cannot pay $256? 

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 10
What's the back story?  Are they actually defective?  Still under warranty?  How long have you had them?

It's common industry practice for warranties for the manufacturer to replace something that is out of production with a similar item or the nearest step up at no cost to you.  Apple does it all the time, and I've had HP upgrade laptops that had repeatedly failed with a newer version because no refurbished ones were available.

I've had e3c fail on me after they were no longer sold, Shure sent me their studio version that was rougly identical at no cost.

If you have something under warranty that they can't fix or replace with equivalent or upgrade, you should demand they give you a refund.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Shure almost never actually fix anything, they just replace (so are many manufacturer these days). If it is still under warranty, you should get a free replacement (on the whole thing or the part). If it is out of warranty, then Shure will generally ask if you would like to get a newer model under heavy discount. SE530 is one of those model that can't get repair since Shure don't repair it most of the time, not to mention it is out of production.

You can try reshell it to custom, or sell it to someone who are willing to reshell it to custom.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Why obviously?  You can still find retailers selling them new in box. and they'd come with a warranty.

Quote:
They are obviously not under warranty.

If they are out of warranty then the price they quoted him sounds fair enough.  Audio-Technica is replacing my CK10's that my dog chewed on for $216, cheaper than buying new.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 10
A quick check of jolegs posts and it seems they were ordered in 2006, so no warranty. Shure is offering an out of warranty discount price. So, I think the "trapped with defective headphones" comment has only to do with jolegs economic situation and not that Shure is doing anything wrong.

Not sure about the history of any prior warranty replacements and warranty on them but it seems that Shure is deeming them out of warranty.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Okay, the replacement was sent more than a year ago. They told me it's outside the warranty period (for replacements). Oh well, I guess I have to save $250+ for the SE 535 replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back