Shure SRH840a
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #121 of 178
I had old 840s. And I think shure's 840A upgrade succeeded in both sound and comfort.
What is important for me: the cord is straight, the weight is much less, the bass is cleaner and deeper, in general the sound is better, detailed, everything is audible, there are no gaps in the frequency response.
(I apply the equalizer to both models.)
In my opinion, the new version has a more successful cup structure due to holes (phase inverter).

Of the minuses, the cable is not flexible, it is rough.
The cups spin horizontally, but I solved this issue.
There are no spare ear pads in the kit, but new ones made of better quality leather.
A friend of mine has a 440A and he likes them a lot too.

Aug 21, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #122 of 178
Do you think the 840a sounds better than the K371? I've also tried the 770, it's a good headphone, especially in the bass department but I find the treble to be undefined (too many peaks & dips). Also, it's hard to find closed-back headphones that are comfortable, I feel like Sennheiser are the only one that actually care

Apologize for the delay in replying, adelaidestevens. But I still have not heard the 840a. So can't really compare it sonically to either the K371 or DT-770. The best I could probably do is try to make some educated guesses about differences in tonality based on the FR graphs. That doesn't always tell the whole story though.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #123 of 178
And where can I get such a 2.5mm jack to make my own cable?
Native very oak, but high quality.

I wonder if the ear pads from 940/1540 fit here in terms of sound?
(Older 840s fit.)
Don't know the answers to either the above. Pad depth and design can potentially effect the sound though.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #126 of 178
I have 770, 990 and 840A.
They are for different purposes and all will stay with me.

It is a pity that there is little information about the differences between 440A and 840A.
I think DMS has a review that compared the 440a to 840a, he said it was definitely an upgrade in sound

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #127 of 178
What would the sound upgrade be over WhXm3?... Details? Separation? I'd be afraid that it wouldn't be noticeable.. I use Wavelet and I've made the Xm3 sound pretty good with total bass reduction and treble increase... I'd like to think that if I EQ 840a they'd sound a lot better for music. I'd he hoping that they would be an entry level audiophile type experience over the XM3 basically

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #128 of 178
I havent heard a shure headphone for many years, so i cant comment on the sound but from the pics i saw i would like to ask 2 questions ?
Is the frame plastic or metal ? The hinges look metal ,also the headband cover looks to be some kind of cloth or fabric ,is that durable ?
Thanks

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #130 of 178
I havent heard a shure headphone for many years, so i cant comment on the sound but from the pics i saw i would like to ask 2 questions ?
Is the frame plastic or metal ? The hinges look metal ,also the headband cover looks to be some kind of cloth or fabric ,is that durable ?
Thanks
It's all plastic bar screws and closing faceplate is a thin aluminium. The headband is fabric. It should last as long as fabric lasts until fraying occurs however long it takes a headband made out of fabric to fray. 5-10 years

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #134 of 178
Hi. I know I got them yesterday, but my experience is with expensive enough iem that are highly detailed , balanced tuned.
: Sennheiser IE600.... To me , and the Shures are like a closed back headphone version of these!.. But maybe that's because these are the only non consumerist headphones I own.. The other are Sony XM3 and those are definetly that muddy bass boost sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back