Shure srh840 cups on srh440
Nov 17, 2009 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

New Head-Fier
I just got the srh440 woot.

Is it true that the srh840 cups fit on the srh440's?

If so, besides the increased comfort..what other benefits are there?
And where can I find them for cheap. They're rather hard to find.
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 13
Yes they fit. They are more comfortable than the 440 cushions, but I swapped them out almost immediately and cannot attest to any sonic improvement. I asked someone else who had the 440 cushions for a while before swapping and they could not tell if isolation, etc improved. Headphone solutions, sweetwater, full compass all have them (or had them)for around 18-23 shipped.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 13
Nothing wrong with having nice headphones and listening to low-bitrate lossy files.

I always say that headphones make the absolute biggest difference in terms of upgrades.

High bitrate rips and well mastered music comes next.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88888888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. cool. thank.

Just a side note..
Is there a point if you get nice headphones..but have crappy quality music?

I enjoy lo-fi and noise rock on my hi-fi system
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 13
A Place to Bury Strangers sounds SPECTACULAR on headphones and they are pretty lo-fi noise rock.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad loves to maintain that some stuff sounds better with noise from a tape deck.

In a lot of ways, I have to agree with him.

I'll agree with that to an extent; my father has an old vintage vinyl system and listening to records off it and comparing them to their lossless CD counterpart really shows that contrast of digital vs. analog. I have a copy of Frank Zappa's Hot Rats on vinyl and comparing Peaches En Regalia between CD and vinyl is no comparison even with the audible imperfections coming off this player, that real warm lively sound wins me over every time... I can't even bring myself to listen to the CD version of that album any more.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 13
So...are the 840 pads a different material? I know they're softer, but is there anything I can liken them to? I don't really like the spongy, stiff feel of the stock pads on my 440s, although they are very good-sounding headphones.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad loves to maintain that some stuff sounds better with noise from a tape deck.

In a lot of ways, I have to agree with him.

I heard about this..many people don't agree with "improving" and "remastering" music or sometimes movies..as people have become comfortable with the noises that go along with it..Without it, to them it feels weird..(I say them because I'm not of the age group demo..so I can't really relate..:p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back