Shure SRH840 broken plastic joint
Mar 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mitsomar

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

If this isn't the proper forum for this, please forgive me and kindly direct me to the appropriate forum.

The plastic joint connecting the right ear cup of my SRH 840's to the headband has broken. The metal underneath is still completely intact and the wire is still connected. The headphones still function properly except for the fact that they won't sit properly on my head due to the lack of clamping force of the right ear cup.

After a good amount of lurking, I haven't found much useful information on this other than suggestions to send the pair back to Shure to have it repaired under warranty. Although the headphones should still be under warranty for a few months, I cannot seem to find the receipt for my purchase in any of my e-mails nor do I remember the site I bought it from. Now that I think about it, despite my research leading me to believe the site was reputable and trustworthy, it might not have been an authorized dealer and the headphones were bought refurbished which may mean I was never been covered by their warranty in the first place.

I attempted to repair them myself by applying solder between the metal screws in the headband and the T-shaped metal piece of the ear cup, hoping that the solder would be strong enough to hold the two together. Unfortunately, the solder was far too weak and it broke off after barely moving the ear cup to test the solder's strength.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I should fix this, please let me know. I am considering purchasing some kind of epoxy resin or something to hold it together but I'm not sure if that would work or be optimal. I'd like to avoid paying Shure around $80 for the repair if I can just do it myself. If anyone has any kind of experience with this kind of thing, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Send to Shure. This is a very common problem with the Shure 840/940.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 10
See this thread -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/651366/like-the-shure-srh940-the-840-cracks-too

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 10
If a product broke due to misuse or wear and tear I see that it as normal but if the plastic cracks due to bad material I see that as a design issues and a responsibility for manufacturer to fix it with or without warranty. That will also shows how professional the manufacturer is. They can change the design (like what Sennheiser did to their HD280 pro) or do a recall/parts replacement like what Focus Headphones did. If they still continue using the same material I cannot agree upon.

But what the heck, I will only buy Shure again if they have improve their material/design.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the link. I did contact Shure and informed them that the headphones were never handled improperly to the extent of my knowledge. I was told to send in a repair correspondence form which requires me to attach a copy of my sales receipt, which I cannot seem to find after much effort put into searching through several old e-mail accounts. Hopefully I can figure out a way to repair these without having to pay the $80 no-warranty repair fee.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 10

As of February 9, 2017 they have not changed the material. I called the Shure parts department to see if I could purchase just the parts I needed and they said no. They will only sell the entire headband assembly. I told them I had already done that once and the second headband also broke early on and I'm not going to keep replacing bad product with more bad product. While on the phone I asked if they had redesigned or changed materials and the gentleman said no. They still make them with the same materials they did when the SRH-840s were first introduced.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 10

As of February 9, 2017 they have not changed the material. I called the Shure parts department to see if I could purchase just the parts I needed and they said no. They will only sell the entire headband assembly. I told them I had already done that once and the second headband also broke early on and I'm not going to keep replacing bad product with more bad product. While on the phone I asked if they had redesigned or changed materials and the gentleman said no. They still make them with the same materials they did when the SRH-840s were first introduced.

Well, I just bought my first replacement headband because my old one snapped above the left hinge (the bit that slides inside the other bit for length adjustment); so I'm left with a bunch of spare parts that I hate to just throw away.

I guess you can PM me if you want me to send you a same-old-materials, second-hand, heavily-used, no-guarantees replacement for what you've broken.  Is that how people do things here?

Dec 25, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 10
I encountered the same issue on my pair of SRH840's,

However I decided to design a 3d printed part for a replacement, and it has been working well for a fair few months now.

You can get the files to print over at https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/15460-sure-srh840-replacement-hinge. If you don't have a 3d printer, then you should be able to upload the STL files to Shapeways.com and have them print it for you - though I'm not sure on the cost, I'm certain it would be cheaper than a new pair of headphones!

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back