Shure SRH840 and others?
Mar 18, 2010 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ApolloInDenial

New Head-Fier
First time poster, long time reader.

Dear Experts,
I am looking to buy headphones in the 200 dollar range, and from what I've gathered so far, the SRH840 seem to be the ones to buy. I've read few posts that criticize these cans and read countless that praise its isolation ability, vast sound stage despite its closed-ear design, comfort, durability, and SQ. Are these really the best bang-for-buck headphones or are there better options?

I listen to hip-hop/rap, rock, and hard style music. My music preferences would suggest bass heavy headphones.
That said, I do appreciate a little balance in my headphones which the SRH840 seem to have, but not analytical.

So help me please.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 22
If your budget is 200$ and you wish the best best experience, the Ultrasone Pro 750 is the way to go, as it smashes the 840 IMO in every way shape and form. You can get one here on head fi used but mint for around that price. There are certainly better options and especially so if you are okay with open back headphones.

They are praised for being very well rounded, but in my experience the quality is just "pretty good" and not special. It's just everything about them and every genre is "pretty good". The pro 750 is lightyears better. It will take some getting used to , as the Ultrasone Slogic sound is an attempt at surround sound, and your first impressions likely will be WOW THIS SUCKS. It doesnt, just give it a few days for your ears to adjust to the new type of sound coming at them. Once that happens, you will realize that all headphones should sound this way :p

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 22
I guess the superiority comes from the extra $180 or so worth of MSRP.... I would love to get a link to a seller who's willing to give up the Ultrasones for $200.

Btw, I'm indifferent to open/closed ear designs so if you have more suggestions, I'm all ears.

EDIT: I'm reading/hearing comfort issues with the 750s after prolonged use. Are these on-ear or over-ear designs? I can't tell from pictures.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 22
I think the Shures would make you happy with hip-hop, but might disappoint you for rock. They have a really smooth sound that's a bit lush for rock. If you want headphones that are going to feed the raw energy of hard rock into your brain, you should keep looking. I'm not saying they're bad headphones--I have a pair next to me on the desk right now--but when I'm in the mood for rock, they are never plugged into the amp.

You may want to take a quick peek at the Beyerdynamic lineup before you jump on the Shures.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ApolloInDenial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time poster, long time reader.

Dear Experts,
I am looking to buy headphones in the 200 dollar range, and from what I've gathered so far, the SRH840 seem to be the ones to buy. I've read few posts that criticize these cans and read countless that praise its isolation ability, vast sound stage despite its closed-ear design, comfort, durability, and SQ. Are these really the best bang-for-buck headphones or are there better options?

I listen to hip-hop/rap, rock, and hard style music. My music preferences would suggest bass heavy headphones.
That said, I do appreciate a little balance in my headphones which the SRH840 seem to have, but not analytical.

So help me please.

The Shure SRH840s are a great choice for balanced sound. The Ultrasones can be very coloured and bassy. Now that's not a bad thing, just that you mentioned that you "appreciate a little balance". They sound really good and better what their MSRP is.

The Shures also isolate external noise very well.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 22
When I said "balanced" I meant not over powered in either end of the spectrum. I do enjoy headphones with a leaning bass, and if that's what the Ultrasones are, then I guess I should take a look at their 200 dollars range HPs.
So between the Pro 550 and the HFI 680 (since they're in the same price range) which would you recommend?

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 22
I was also very impressed with the Ultrasone PRO750s the last time I auditioned them. They sound more energetic and fun than the SRH840 with more bass and low treble. The Shures sound quite dark, laid back, even a little veiled by comparison, although the treble is still quite bright on them and the bass is still pretty good, just not quite as tight, fast or punchy as on the PRO750. Also, the Ultrasones really excel at soundstaging for closed headphones. The sound is very airy, vast, and with excellent imaging. The Shures sound more closed in by comparison - more "boxy". They have good amount of air in the treble, but the bass sounds slightly artificial - a little boomy. The Shures improve noticeably with better sources though and I am sure that they can really open up with a high-end source.

I recommend that you post a WTB thread for the PRO750s in the for sale/trade section of the forum if you decide to go with the Ultrasones. I am sure you will be able to score a pair in good condition for around $200 pretty soon - I see them for sale quite often. I wouldn't get the lower end models in the line if I were you. I am sure they are still good, but probably won't be as good as the 750s.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ApolloInDenial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is it a consensus? The best headphones in the 200 dollar range are used Ultrasone Pro 750s?

Well, the best closed headphones are arguably the PRO750s, but there are also open headphones of course and those usually sound better than similarly priced closed backs. For around $200, you can get a new or almost new pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s or AKG K701s or Sennheiser HD600s here on the forums and those arguably do sound better than the PRO750s, but only from a good source and amp. If you will be running the headphones from a portable player, or a typical inexpensive (or integrated) PC soundcard, then PRO750s are a better choice. If you got a good receiver, or a nice home amp or a pro sound card, then DT880 or K701 might be better (but not necessarily). Also keep in mind that closed headphones will allow you to listen in a wider range of environments than open ones, because they isolate you from external noise (PRO750 has very good isolation BTW) and are also more versatile because you can use them portably, whereas open headphones are generally for home use only.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 22
I do not own an amp (home or portable) and will be using my laptop's default sound card and an iPod touch 2G as my source. Since my circumstances are such, I guess the Ultrasones still remain my best option.
After a bit of thinking, I would prefer closed ear so I can use it in my dorm and not be bothered by extraneous noises.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 22
I just tried the 840s about 1 hour ago, they are damn isolating, I put them on me: music was hurting my ears, I took them off and I put the cups together, and barely anything.

so the 750s are better than the hd 25?

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodTotal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried the 840s about 1 hour ago, they are damn isolating, I put them on me: music was hurting my ears, I took them off and I put the cups together, and barely anything.

so the 750s are better than the hd 25?

About on par I think.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 22
The Pro 750 weren't disappointing to me. Regarding the Shure SRH 840, I didn't find them dark at all... and I also found them quite revealing.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pro 750 weren't disappointing to me. Regarding the Shure SRH 840, I didn't find them dark at all... and I also found them quite revealing.

Well, that depends on what you are comparing them to. Compared to PRO750s, they do sound a bit darkish. But of course that doesn't mean that they are less revealing - they are indeed very detailed and also very clear and dynamic cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh..If you're not using an amp, I've heard the 750s are disappointing. A good portable would be the ES9WA

I thought PRO750s sounded great straight out of my Sony Walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back