Shure SRH840 and others?
Mar 19, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About on par I think.

lol wut

Apollo, the best closed back for your budget is undeniably the Pro 750. They are immensely powerful, and designed to run well off an ipod or something weakly amped. When nicely amped, they sound that much better. They have an odd feel about them. The way to describe them is the following:

the physical feel of them is that of a childs thick plastic chair. You know that playground equipment or fake wood you see in junglegyms thats actually painted plastic? It's made of a similar material, a really sturdy thick plastic. At first i thought this is like a toy...but then i realized most headphones have VASTLY inferior build quality and are made of very flimsy and thin plastic. Hell, even my grado 225i is made of thin plastic that feels like it can break at a moments notice. The earpads pop right off on the pro 750 for easy replacement or modding. Odds are good you would do the user KEES mod for them. The highs on the pro 750 are immensely teeth shattering, very harsh but the mod is simple to fix this. Place a piece of felt over the center hold right under the pads ( you will see 3 holes next to each other ) and the highs are drastically reduced. The Bass is the best bass EVER. Period. Bar none, it even smashes other expensive sets. It is the best bass you can get for under 350$ or so In My Opinion. The pads are immensely comfy, the clamp factor is very low, which means its not a vice grip on your head. Its heavy, and can fatigue you after a little while as the padding on the top that rests on your head is lacking heavily. They are circular pads, but fully over the ears, but if your head is large and have big ears, its possible your ears wont fit. They have flat backs, the pictures of them are deceiving, most ultrasones have a flat back with another sort of cup resting on it. Do a little picture hunting and you will get what i mean. I thought the pro 750s came with that feature, i was wrong as they are totally flat.

MAKE SURE THE PADS ARE ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY ON AND LOCKED, and the little flaps are under the piece that locks them on each side. When I got mine, they were not properly locked in place and it makes a 100% difference in sound if not on the right way.

Comes with extra pads, and 2 types of cords one coiled that is about 4 feet long and can stretch to like 9, as well as a 9 ft or so straight cable. Be sure to ask if your set comes with an adapter. The head is large on the cable, so having an adapter for ipods and standard headphone jacks makes it stick out even more, the adapter piece and cord head are actually longer than my sansa fuze.

fhew, hope that helps.

If you can have some patience in buying a set, check out the for sale area here on head-fi. You can get a pair of used but mint pro 750s for 185-200$. I got mine just a few weeks ago here for that price. If you can do that, you will be much happier than the Shure 840. However if you cant wait, you can get the Shure must faster really anywhere you wish.

So lastly, as i said in my very first post if you decide on these, give them a whole week before making your choice. What people do not tell you is that Slogic ( ultrasones sound ) is unique and takes some getting used to. If its your first experience with surround sound headphones you will not enjoy them at all the first week or few days or so. I didn't. I was ready to ship them right back within an hour of use. I toughed it out for a while and came to realize my ears didnt understand what was being tossed at them. This is surround sound, its not the same as normal headphones, its got more depth and detail. After a week or so i looked at all my other expensive headphones in the price range and shook my head saying "good god what have i missed all these years, all headphones should sound this way".

let me know if i can be of any more assistance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodTotal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone please describe in more detail the differences between the Ultrasone Pro 750s and the Sennheiser HD-25-1-II

THANKS

sure, thats easy. the ultrasones are surround sound, or at least trying to mimic it, and the Senns are not :p

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #20 of 22
They're not surround sound.
The Pro 750 have brighter highs and better bass. They are a better phone, although the HD 25 I II are very good.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 22
Im not sure if you meant the ultrasones arent surround sound or if the Senns are not. Ultrasone advertises their Slogic as natural surround sound. They sound like open backs. Their descriptions are very accurate.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #22 of 22
Sorry for bringing back a dead thread back to life...
But after some more research it seems that between the Ultrasone Pro 750 and HFI 780, people chose the 750s over the 780s because of the over emphasized bass on the 780s. Does the 750 not have enough bass? Or is it that the 780s just go overboard with it? For my music preferences, which would be the better choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back