Shure SRH750 review/impression
Jun 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hudamanium

100+ Head-Fier

A couple of weeks back, I asked the HeadFi community on which headphones I should purchace, and after much consideration i went with the Shure SRH750s. (which actually seem to be quite a new headphone, released in Nov 2009)

Theres been some talk on various websites including headfi but its not substantial so hopefully this will add to some of the discussion. Now it should be noted that this is my first pair of actual quality headphones so anyone should feel free to correct me in any aspect. Because of this, I'm probably not the best person to look at for an acutal review so look around a little more if you're a potential buyer.

Comfort:

Now you might wonder why im starting with this first, but this was (is?) the largest drawback of these headphones. When i first got them, I almost decided to return them immediately. The headband is a quite flat (if anyone wants pics ill upload some), so it pokes at the tip of your skull like a pressure point. For maybe the first 30 minutes or so they're fine, but after that it can get really uncomfortable (maybe even a little painful).

However, I gave them a chance (mainly because I'm kinda cheap and returning would mean paying for shipping), so I crossed my fingers and kinda hoped for the best. I also bent the headphones on the middle maybe for 30 second durations a couple times a day. Aftear around a week or so, the "pressure point" feeling completely dissapeared. When I use them I can forget they're even there.

In terms of clamping, the SRH750s are just right for me. They aren't too clampy, but you do feel them there. I can wear them for pretty much an entire day without discomfort (and my head is probably larger than average).

Bass:

This aspect is probably the defining feature of these headphones. The bass is amazing. Its clear and distinct, but not overpowering or muddy. You can definietly feel the bass though. I listened to Heartbeet in the open your ears album and I could hear the bass all the way down to the lowest frequency (or rather feel/hear).

Treble/Mids:

Nothing too much about mids/highs. They aren't bad, but if you're looking for headphones that have great mids/highs these might not be for you. Theyre good, especially considering the incredible bass, but they dont shine. Mids/highs are pretty clear so no complaints there. Again they're pretty good, but not great.

Soundstage:

Since these are closed headphones, soundstage isn't really something that warrants much discussion. Compared to open headphones, these definietly lack in soundstage. If you need a really good set of gaming headphones, or just overall enjoy soundstage, look around on headfi I'm sure there are threads that can help you out. Howvever, compared to other closed headphones, these seem to have great soundstage. Probably best I have heard on closed headphones.

Overall handling:

These seem to be headphones that handle all music pretty well. I listen to classcial, electronic, pop. rock/soft rock, techno, and trance mainly and these headphones shine in all of those genres. Havn't tried it with hiphop since im not much of a hiphop fan, but with the bass on these im sure they'll sound fantastic. If anyone is looking for a well balanced set of headphones around $100, the SRH 750s would be my first recomendation.

Amping:

I've read mixed reviews of whether these headphones need an amp or not, so I'm going to address that a little. Just for a little disclaimer; I do not own an amp and I have never tried these with an amp. However, This entire review (and comparison to other headphones) are all written without an amp, so that might just indicate that an amp is not necessary (however the other headphobnes were also not amped, but were played with the same sources). There is no distortion or clicking or any kind of sound other than just the music. With a Zune HD I use these up to around 15-20/30 volume. For my laptop and desktop I usually hover around 15 on the Windows 7 volume control with Winamp maxed out on volume.

Compared to other headphones:

Couple of my friends own the Beats, Grados (or Alessandro) M2is, and the Senns HD555s and these headphones defnitely can compete with all of them. Beats probably aren't even worth talking about as these headphones are better than those in every way. If anyone reading this is considering beats, please please don't get them. I'm a total newb regarding headphones and even I can tell they're not worth the money. As for the m2is and the HD555s, the SRH750s seems to be a balance of both of those. It shares some clarity with the m2is, but the M2is still seem clearer though not by much. Soundstage isn't as great as the HD555s but its still pretty decent. The bass for the SRH750s is definietly better than both the M2is and the HD555s. Overasll handing of all types of music probably goes in the order of SHR750>M2i>HD555s. If you listen to classical a lot, the HD555s are better than the SRH750s.

Portability:

They're probably as portable as possible for DJ style headphones. They fold up nicely into kinda a ball thing and Shure includes a bag for you to put them in. I can put them into a backpack to take to school.

Durability:

These headphones are probably some of the most durable ive seen/felt. The drivers are competely protected and feel like they're not going to break even by dropping or poking really really hard. The band is really durable also and feels like it can last. The overall headphone does creak a little, but that is to be expected with the plastic that its made out of (abet extremely high qualtiy plastic).

Cable:

Coiled is kinda annoying. I bought a straight cable for these headphones and they're coming at around Tuesday of this week, so if anyone is curious about them just let me know.

Looks:

Personally I think they look pretty nice. Definietly nothing I would feel awkward about wearing on campus. Really its up to you whether they look nice or not so google around.

Music used: Generally just music I own from my favorite genres and such. Open Your Ears (album) was also used. 

Any questions feel free to ask! 

A couple of weeks back, I asked the HeadFi community on which headphones I should purchace, and after much consideration i went with the Shure SRH750s. (which actually seem to be quite a new headphone, released in Nov 2009)

Theres been some talk on various websites including headfi but its not substantial so hopefully this will add to some of the discussion. Now it should be noted that this is my first pair of actual quality headphones so anyone should feel free to correct me in any aspect. Because of this, I'm probably not the best person to look at for an acutal review so look around a little more if you're a potential buyer. 

Comfort:

Now you might wonder why im starting with this first, but this was (is?) the largest drawback of these headphones. When i first got them, I almost decided to return them immediately. The headband is a quite flat (if anyone wants pics ill upload some), so it pokes at the tip of your skull like a pressure point. For maybe the first 30 minutes or so they're fine, but after that it can get really uncomfortable (maybe even a little painful). 

However, I gave them a chance (mainly because I'm kinda cheap and returning would mean paying for shipping), so I crossed my fingers and kinda hoped for the best. I also bent the headphones on the middle maybe for 30 second durations a couple times a day. Aftear around a week or so, the "pressure point" feeling completely dissapeared. When I use them I can forget they're even there. 

In terms of clamping, the SRH750s are just right for me. They aren't too clampy, but you do feel them there. I can wear them for pretty much an entire day without discomfort (and my head is probably larger than average). 

Bass:

This aspect is probably the defining feature of these headphones. The bass is amazing. Its clear and distinct, but not overpowering or muddy. You can definietly feel the bass though. I listened to Heartbeet in the open your ears album and I could hear the bass all the way down to the lowest frequency (or rather feel/hear). 

Treble/Mids:

Nothing too much about mids/highs. They aren't bad, but if you're looking for headphones that have great mids/highs these might not be for you. Theyre good, especially considering the incredible bass, but they dont shine. Mids/highs are pretty clear so no complaints there. Again they're pretty good, but not great. 

Soundstage:

Since these are closed headphones, soundstage isn't really something that warrants much discussion. Compared to open headphones, these definietly lack in soundstage. If you need a really good set of gaming headphones, or just overall enjoy soundstage, look around on headfi I'm sure there are threads that can help you out. Howvever, compared to other closed headphones, these seem to have great soundstage. Probably best I have heard on closed headphones. 

Overall handling: 

These seem to be headphones that handle all music pretty well. I listen to classcial, electronic, pop. rock/soft rock, techno, and trance mainly and these headphones shine in all of those genres. Havn't tried it with hiphop since im not much of a hiphop fan, but with the bass on these im sure they'll sound fantastic. If anyone is looking for a well balanced set of headphones around $100, the SRH 750s would be my first recomendation. 

Amping: 

I've read mixed reviews of whether these headphones need an amp or not, so I'm going to address that a little. Just for a little disclaimer; I do not own an amp and I have never tried these with an amp. However, This entire review (and comparison to other headphones) are all written without an amp, so that might just indicate that an amp is not necessary (however the other headphobnes were also not amped, but were played with the same sources). There is no distortion or clicking or any kind of sound other than just the music. With a Zune HD I use these up to around 15-20/30 volume. For my laptop and desktop I usually hover around 15 on the Windows 7 volume control with Winamp maxed out on volume. 

Compared to other headphones: 

Couple of my friends own the Beats, Grados (or Alessandro) M2is, and the Senns HD555s and these headphones defnitely can compete with all of them. Beats probably aren't even worth talking about as these headphones are better than those in every way. If anyone reading this is considering beats, please please don't get them. I'm a total newb regarding headphones and even I can tell they're not worth the money. As for the m2is and the HD555s, the SRH750s seems to be a balance of both of those. It shares some clarity with the m2is, but the M2is still seem clearer though not by much. Soundstage isn't as great as the HD555s but its still pretty decent. The bass for the SRH750s is definietly better than both the M2is and the HD555s. Overasll handing of all types of music probably goes in the order of SHR750>M2i>HD555s. If you listen to classical a lot, the HD555s are better than the SRH750s.

Portability:

They're probably as portable as possible for DJ style headphones. They fold up nicely into kinda a ball thing and Shure includes a bag for you to put them in. I can put them into a backpack to take to school.

Durability: 

These headphones are probably some of the most durable ive seen/felt. The drivers are competely protected and feel like they're not going to break even by dropping or poking really really hard. The band is really durable also and feels like it can last. The overall headphone does creak a little, but that is to be expected with the plastic that its made out of (abet extremely high qualtiy plastic). 

Cable:

Coiled is kinda annoying. I bought a straight cable for these headphones and they're coming at around Tuesday of this week, so if anyone is curious about them just let me know. 

Looks:

Personally I think they look pretty nice. Definietly nothing I would feel awkward about wearing on campus. Really its up to you whether they look nice or not so google around. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 9
hmm quite tempted to get these or the m50 i think ,whats the pad like on them ? Do they get hot after a while .Also do they isolate well i might get them for djing.dr

Henry

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I looked around at both the M50 and the SRH750s and the SRH750s are supposed to be better on the bass. The M50s might be a little muddy compared to the SRH750s. You can read around other forums talking about these but personallly I've never tried the M50s. The pads are kinda a faux leather type thing. They are cicular and closed. They might be a little small for some ears. For me its a perfectly closed fit, but there isnt much room extra for the ear. They might get a little warm after a period of time (as do all closed headphones), but I haven't experienced that yet. Isolation is maybe 40-50%. With music its pretty good and it works for me when i need to work in a loud place like the campus food court or something. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 9
I must be the only one who really dislikes the 750DJ. I'm a HUGE fan of the SRH-840. They're the best headphones in terms of sound quality under $250. Despite the poor fit I kept them but was eventually forced to sell them due to the fit and weight. The only negative about them is that the highs can be very fatiguing. To me though the M50 is no match for the 840, but I kept them because the fit is much better by far and the sound quality is still good. The highs on the M50's also don't fatigue my ears as much also.

So I bought the 750DJs and they fit OK, but overall not much better then the 840's. I felt like their was way too much bass by far. I probably need to see some frequency charts for comparison, but it seems like they had much more bass then even the M50's if that's possible! Definitely more bass then on the 840's!

To me the highs on the 750's were just so fatiguing. I was listening to a U2 song from the "How to Disarm an Atomic Bomb" and it was an unlistenable mess and almost torture to listen to. Please don't hate me for saying this! I wanted to rip the headphones off and fling them. I was using them with two portable amps and an Ipod Touch 2G with ALAC and 320kbps Mp3.

Before settling on the HD-600's I tried about maybe a dozen pairs of headphones I think. These were probably my 2nd least favorite right behind the AKG 240 MK II.

All of our ears are different and I think my ears are really sensitive to some things much more then others. My ears get tired very easily. I guess it depends on what one is looking for. I'm not trying to be mean, but I couldn't listen to these for more then an hour. I don't understand why they're so much different then the 840. I always heard they're an improvement from the 840's, but I don't think so. I think they're definitely a downgrade.

I hope Shure releases more headphones. Maybe really work on a higher end model that's extremely comfortable. There is no reason they can't. I don't mind paying extra for comfort.

My suggestion for anyone is to try the 840's before the 750DJ. I should just shut up and I'm not trying to ruin anyone's opinion on the 750's if they like them. I'm probably just too picky!

Anyone else like the 840's over the 750? Or perhaps the other way around?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 9
I would get the 750 over the M50 in a heartbeat, and I'm a huge M50 fan.

tdockweiler, you're the first one I've seen to not like these, but that's probably because the 750s are still qutie new and not much buzz around it, so not many people have really tried it. If more people got to try it I'm sure more people would dislike it... but the truth is they are a very good set and that's why most of the people who do try it love it.

The 750 has more, and deeper, bass than the M50s, but I found it didn't detract from the overall presentation the way the M50's muddier bass did. I don't find this a problem mind, because I am a bass head. Also personally, I thought the 750 was softer than the 840, or at least and hence they don't fatigue as much. I really like their sound.

They're definitely very different from the 840... which is why I like them. They're the first set from Shure that I actually liked. I hated all of Shure's other headphones and IEMs.

If Shure continues in the trend with the 750 I might actually become a Shure fan. They just need to work on one more thing... COMFORT. Damn but Shure couldn't design a comfortable headphone if their life depended on it.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 9
I agree with Mochan about the SRH750s, but again I've never tried the M50s so I can't really judge on that. There is a lot of bass for sure but it doesn't seem to take away from the overall sound. Also the treble seems to be ok, perhaps not the best but its decent. Depends on the buyer i guess, but if there is a way look around to try as many headphones as possible before buying anything to see what you like.  

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Just bought a pair of these sounds pretty good not as bassy as i thought it would be my triple fi 10 are more bassy .I like the quite balanced sound though reminds me of a more poweful and defined version of the pl30 i can tell you that the "pressure point " does exist on the phone. How did you bend the headphone band ?with your thumb in the middle while gripping the sides?

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 9
I used my hands yeah. Also they feel a lot more comfortable with use. You can also clamp them to a tissue box or something and place a pill bottle to prop the center up. Hope you like them! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back