Shure SRH440 vs MDR-V6 vs Sennheiser HD 280 PRO (buying from Amazon exclusively)
Nov 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vithorleal

New Head-Fier
Hello folks!

My first post on head-fi and I need your help. I'm from Brazil and some relatives that are in the US right now are gonna bring me a pair of headphones by January or February (when they come back). This means two things:
1) I cannot possibly teste the headphones before buying them (and asking for my uncles to do so is relatively useless, afterall they don't know much about audio and headphones)
2) I'm gonna buy the headphones through Amazon (or any other webstore you suggest, as long as it is, indeed, a webstore). My worry here is that they won't have time for going to a store once they're in vacations... So I don't want to cause any more problems or troubles for them. Ah, BTW, I'm buying on the US because the prices of the same headphones in Brazil are at least twice the price in the US! So, let's get right down to it...

The three phones I've selected are the ones on the title for their price. Since I'm buying online I don't know many ways of finding better prices than Amazon (really, other than that one, the only webstore I know of is B&H...). My price range is, really, $100 MAX (I can't, for instance, consider an ATH-M50 because although is a "small" difference in dollars, when converting to "reais" - Brazil's currency - it'd be a difference of R$120 or more). I want closed full-sized headphones. I'll be using them at home ONLY (I excluded many options because of the cable length - 1.2m/3.9ft is too small) and for music, gaming (I don't want the microphone, I'm find with my webcam's), YouTube videos and movies (rarely, because I use my speakers for that). So, I think that sums it up...

At least on the Amazon website, these are all the same price (or have an almost-non-existent-difference $99/$100):

SRH440
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
Sony MDR-V6

Some useful information:
I use glasses all the time (I have myopia) so they must be comfortable to wear, I don't like much bass (I don't mind SOME, but I'd rather have a neutral/flat-leaning headphone than one that will benefit from only one or two genres of music...) and I listen to all sorts of things... From indie folk to some rock. And I usually use them for 3-5 hours straight sessions (in my PC... gaming, watching videos, etc etc).

So, which one? I have done my research and I'm aware of most of their pros and cons, however I'd like some more advice...

Thank you very much  
beyersmile.png

P.S.: don't mind spell errors!
tongue_smile.gif

I forgot to mention the Black Friday thing... I am likely to buy these by Nov 29th, since Amazon will probably have even bigger discounts on them. I don't know if that changes anything, just thought you should know.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello,

I personally like Grado SR60i [open] or Sennheiser HD439 [closed] for your use. The HD439 is more comfortable but does not sound as good as the Grado.

The Grado may have comfort issue out of the box but stretching the headband will really help loosen the clamp

Hope it helps,
Billson :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmmm...

I liked the HD 439... Good price and detachable cables. However, how does it sound? Does it have too punchy lows? I'm looking for a more flat headphone. Actually, I should go look for strong bass headphones, since I've never tried them. Maybe I even like those and I have no idea yet...

Well, thanks! But between those 3, can anyone who's had two or even all of them tell me more about them?

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 7
V6 vs HD280:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/21830/impressions-sony-mdr-v6-vs-sennheiser-hd-280-pro

HD280 vs SRH 440
http://www.head-fi.org/t/508887/sennheiser-hd-280-pro-vs-shure-srh440

V6 vs SRH 440
http://www.head-fi.org/t/554504/sony-mdr-v6-vs-shure-srh440

More:
http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=514

You've gotta use the search bar.  All these cans are very well documented.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmmm...

I liked the HD 439... Good price and detachable cables. However, how does it sound? Does it have too punchy lows? I'm looking for a more flat headphone. Actually, I should go look for strong bass headphones, since I've never tried them. Maybe I even like those and I have no idea yet...

Well, thanks! But between those 3, can anyone who's had two or even all of them tell me more about them?

The HD439 bass is very warm and well extended. :) the highs are dark though

As for the headphone you mentioned in your main post, I have only tried two of them, the SRH-440 and MDR-7506 (Some say they are similar to MDR-V6, some say the MDR-V6 is better). The SRH-440 has a very early roll off bass... It's as if zero bass with some genre of music however, it sound neutral. The best part of it is it's midrange... Very smooth.

The MDR-7506 to my ears, have some treble spike. Warmer and slightly deeper bass than SRH-440. In terms of details, the MDR-7506 wins too!

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back