Shure SRH440 Impression
Jan 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #137 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For something with more bass, would you recommend the srh840? Does the 840 have enough bass for games/movies?

Well, as you probably already know, I wouldn't recommend the SRH440 to you. I have not tried the SRH840, but people have said that it is not as bass light as the SRH440. So, if you have good audio equipment, you could take a look at the 840's. I just hope you aren't a basshead, because judging by the difference in performance of the XB700 and SRH440, I don't think the SRH840 could live up to basshead standards. I could be wrong though, just a word of caution to think about how you like your sound. However, if you have neutral tastes, and can equalize the output to your headphones, I'm sure you'll like the SRH840 as I almost enjoyed the SRH440 (had I never met the XB700
atsmile.gif
).

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #139 of 427
GulFX, should work just fine.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #140 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GulFX, should work just fine.

Thanks, I take your word!

I've been thinking whether to get the sennheiser hd25 sp1,the hd 280, or the shure 440.

But i'm aimed more towards the shure as I can get them at a discount.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #141 of 427
"Huge Knives" by the Ali Project is a bass heavy song (I mean 10Hz on up and a lot of it). So if anyone wants to test the bass performance of their source, or their headphone, check this song out. The Creative X-Fi DAC doesn't have the guts for it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #142 of 427
Don't know that one Merdril, but if you want to test sub-bass check out Bass Mekanik - NightBass.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #143 of 427
i like to use "Da Blow" by lil jon and the east side boyz.

edit: you guys have to try the sock mod, IMO it improves headstage and bass, the comfort is a bonus
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #144 of 427
I got myself a pair of SR-440 today. So far so good. Actually very satisfied so far. I have tried a couple of closed cans earlier, and I do think these cans sound more like open cans than e.g. Sennheiser HD25 and Denon D1000.

I also find think they improve a lot when using a decent amp/source, but sounds good enough also from the iPod.

Btw. the lack of bass thing; that I do not understand (but I am not a typical basshead).

Going to spend some more time with them before I make any conclusions...(I know what happened to my D1000 and HD25.....)

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #145 of 427
I have a short story from a dance competition I went to during this weekend (as part of a larger convention)
darthsmile.gif
. The aspect of the competition I enjoyed the most was being next to the sub-woofers (the other speakers were a bit too loud for my taste). The rumble that goes through my body and the air striking my body creates such a feeling of euphoria unmatched by all but one other earthly experience (you all know the one). Of course, it is also the sound it generates and how it seems to push all other thoughts from your head (if you listen closely, you can tell what frequency it is by counting how many times you hear the specific sound). I can manage without the air, but the rumble (or beat, depending on the song), that seems to shake my body/head and the deep, powerful sound is simply creates wonderful feeling. Of course, the XB700 doesn't come close (but it's really close for headphones and I don't think I've maxed out its bass potential with the Creative X-Fi DAC) and the SRH440 doesn't come close to the XB700. This is one reason why I don't listen the song "huge knives" by the Ali Project even though I love it; the Creative X-Fi and XB700 combination cannot produce the bass necessary to do justice to the song
frown.gif

I just remembered a certain pair of headphones... They were in an edition of the Popular Science magazine (or Poupular Mechanics, or some technology magazine that I have). They cost about $300 and are a pair of circum-aural cans. The selling point of the headphones is that it has 3 drivers in each cup. Anyone know what they are? (and yes, they're not the new ipod earbuds)

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #146 of 427
So I have been considering these headphones for a while. I have the Sennheiser HD555s for my desktop computer use. But I need something else for everything else like my laptop, watching movies on my TV, and half the time my Zune. I've walked around with the HD555s and the sound is pretty good. I have to turn the volume up pretty high to get a satisfying amount of sound. Bass is not the best, but tolerable.

So would these be right for me? I've also been looking at the ATH M50 and the Sony v6. I listen to trance, chillout, classic rock, folk, and some indie stuff like this.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #147 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctlaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have been considering these headphones for a while. I have the Sennheiser HD555s for my desktop computer use. But I need something else for everything else like my laptop, watching movies on my TV, and half the time my Zune. I've walked around with the HD555s and the sound is pretty good. I have to turn the volume up pretty high to get a satisfying amount of sound. Bass is not the best, but tolerable.

So would these be right for me? I've also been looking at the ATH M50 and the Sony v6. I listen to trance, chillout, classic rock, folk, and some indie stuff like this.

While I love the 440s with my Zune, I listen to them amped with a cMoy BassBoost 2.02 mobile and an Indeed amp at home. Unamped, I have to crank my Zune up to 12-13 minimum. Since I've not listened to the 555s, I don't know if you'll gain or lose anything with the 440s. I know that the M50s are bassier. Both they and the V6 were on my list, when I got the 440s at a real steal...

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #149 of 427
I would also recommend the SRH440. I haven't heard the Senn's, but the SRH440 have decent bass though and many people say they resemble open cans. Although, remember that the ATH M50 and XB700 are still good sounding options; you don't have to power up the bass with them if you don't want to.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #150 of 427
The ATH-M50 reportedly has stronger bass than the SRH440s, but both are very good. Speaking of which, I still have yet to use the 440s with my Icon Mobile - I've been unable to as of late because of this nasty skin infection on my ears.

Oh yeah, Merdril, since you're listening through your computer, you might want to download and use a different media player like FooBar2000 because Windows Media Player tends to apply some nasty compression to your music. Well, if you're not doing so already, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back