Shure SRH440 Impression
May 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #376 of 427
I received a reply from Beyerdynamic concerning a T90 headband, and they can only sell me the full assembly. The price is $142 plus $15 S&H. That's more than 1.5 times the price I paid for my Shures! While I'd hate to have to say "sorry, but no" to a customer service rep who checked this for me, I was hoping the headband alone would cost me, say, $20-30. I was prepared for something higher, but over $100 really exceeds the budget I'm hoping to set. Guess I'll just have to attach a Sennheiser cushion to it. Maybe I'll buy one of those AudioEquip headband cushions. Beyerdynamic doesn't officially say it's compatible, but does anyone think the replacement cushions for the DT770 Pro, 880 Pro, and 990 Pro would work? That only costs $15, as opposed to the headband assembly.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #379 of 427
I can't justify owning the SRH440s if I'm not using them.  I tried Claritas' headband trick but either I didn't do it properly or it didn't work out so well. Either way, I never reach for these things when my Fidelio X1s work so well for my daily driver at home and ES-FC300s are my daily portable. I'm selling these and I plan to buy a pair of IEMs for when I want isolation.

They're good headphones, but I don't really care to keep them around. I posted a classified, so I'm hoping to get these sold. They aren't leaving without a recommendation, though.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #380 of 427
Finally decided to get one because of good reviews. Chose this one because it's cheaper and easier to find than the MDR-V6 here.

For some unknown reason, this particular headphones is stressing me out when I listen to them. I can't even listen to them for more than 10 min.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #381 of 427
  Finally decided to get one because of good reviews. Chose this one because it's cheaper and easier to find than the MDR-V6 here.

For some unknown reason, this particular headphones is stressing me out when I listen to them. I can't even listen to them for more than 10 min.

Would you describe the treble as very bright? Because that's a problem I had, but I could still listen to them for extended periods of time.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #382 of 427

Would you describe the treble as very bright? Because that's a problem I had, but I could still listen to them for extended periods of time.

Yes it is indeed brighter than my Superlux HD 661 but not intolerably bright. I am now listening to both headphones and comparing them.

It seems that the discomfort I'm feeling from the Shure is caused by the way it projects the sound into my ear. The sound seems 'trapped' and just moving around between the headphones and my ear giving me a sensation of being drowned by sound, like the feeling you get when you are in front of giant speakers, as opposed to the Superlux which feels like the sound goes and moves smoothly in and out my head. I don't know if this makes sense to any of you, but that is how I feel.

It could be just me, but this is the first time I've experienced in on a headphone. I would have posted a comparison with my other headphones but my post got deleted :p

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #383 of 427

Yes it is indeed brighter than my Superlux HD 661 but not intolerably bright. I am now listening to both headphones and comparing them.

It seems that the discomfort I'm feeling from the Shure is caused by the way it projects the sound into my ear. The sound seems 'trapped' and just moving around between the headphones and my ear giving me a sensation of being drowned by sound, like the feeling you get when you are in front of giant speakers, as opposed to the Superlux which feels like the sound goes and moves smoothly in and out my head. I don't know if this makes sense to any of you, but that is how I feel.

It could be just me, but this is the first time I've experienced in on a headphone. I would have posted a comparison with my other headphones but my post got deleted :p

What you describe is commonly known as "sound stage". And yes, the SRH is "in your head", which is fatiguing at high volume. Though it has the advantage of making the sound more "fun" at high volume, for example when listening to EDM or Metalcore.

I got the Q701 to watch movies with, because of this.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #384 of 427
I did, and to my surprise the sound wasn't so different (though the comfort was much greater) because my stock pads were kind of stiff and didn't seal well so they lost bass; likewise, the 1540 pads tend to lose bass through the perforations in the woven alcantara. The sonic improvements were a slightly smoother treble and a minor increase in soundstage. I had the bright version--it's a very reasonable guess that the 1540 pads would affect the bassy version more.

Well I went for it ordered the 1540 pads. I couldn't find anywhere in Europe that stocked them yet so paid more than I was intending and had them shipped from the states. After my experience with the 840 pads I was somewhat doubting in my investment. I can safely say I'm very happy with the sound I'm hearing. As Claratis said the bass is nowhere near what the 840 pads produce (not a bad thing to my ears) and the highs are much more controlled and less piercing. I'd also agree with Claratis that there's also an improved soundstage. Much more than I was expecting. I was also taken by surprise at the improved clarity of detail I was previously straining to hear.
As I said before I was preparing for a compromise in the sound quality hoping it wouldn't be too great whilst getting a comfort upgrade. I can safely say I'm blown away. I'm listening to them as we speak and I'm hearing detail that had previously passed me by.
I understand sound is subjective so for bass heads this may not be the best pad to use but I'm hugely happy.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #387 of 427

I wouldn't call the treble or upper treble very bright, but these are more detailed than most closed headphones I've heard so far.

What I would call hyped is the upper mids, they are definitely noticeably more elevated compared to other cans and I'd say somewhere in between the K240's smooth mids and the 7506's very aggressive mids. The upper mids get painful at very high volumes in my experience, but I kind of find them useful for making sure my guitar tone when I do recording isn't too sharp sounding. Otherwise the 440s are some of the most neutral closed cans I've heard and compared surprisingly well to an HD600, although the 600 is of course in another league when it comes to mid smoothness and insane treble extension.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #388 of 427
  I wouldn't call the treble or upper treble very bright, but these are more detailed than most closed headphones I've heard so far.

What I would call hyped is the upper mids, they are definitely noticeably more elevated compared to other cans and I'd say somewhere in between the K240's smooth mids and the 7506's very aggressive mids. The upper mids get painful at very high volumes in my experience, but I kind of find them useful for making sure my guitar tone when I do recording isn't too sharp sounding. Otherwise the 440s are some of the most neutral closed cans I've heard and compared surprisingly well to an HD600, although the 600 is of course in another league when it comes to mid smoothness and insane treble extension.

I own the headphones. It's just, I was trying to diagnose that guy's problem with fatigue.

I had said that these headphones were very bass-light at one point. In fact, I'd have gone as far to call them bass-less. But now, I'm led to believe that my Nexus 4 really is just the problem. Not because I was streaming the music, either; I had it downloaded on the device and it still sounded like crap. But now I'm playing music off of my Sansa Clip+ with my Shure SRH440s and there is no lack of bass. Definitely neutral-sounding. I feel a tad bit tempted to call the treble a bit artificial-sounding, but that could just be me. Which is funny, because I own the Fidelio X1s and use them daily and they've been described as having artificial treble. It might just be the treble energy that these headphones have relative to other headphones I've tried.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #389 of 427

I own the headphones. It's just, I was trying to diagnose that guy's problem with fatigue.

I had said that these headphones were very bass-light at one point. In fact, I'd have gone as far to call them bass-less. But now, I'm led to believe that my Nexus 4 really is just the problem. Not because I was streaming the music, either; I had it downloaded on the device and it still sounded like crap. But now I'm playing music off of my Sansa Clip+ with my Shure SRH440s and there is no lack of bass. Definitely neutral-sounding. I feel a tad bit tempted to call the treble a bit artificial-sounding, but that could just be me. Which is funny, because I own the Fidelio X1s and use them daily and they've been described as having artificial treble. It might just be the treble energy that these headphones have relative to other headphones I've tried.

I feel there's still a peak, now that I own an M40x it's a lot more obvious that there's more grain in the mids and treble of the 440 than something more neutral. That doesn't make it a bad can, but listening to some metal on it can be piercing...but not as piercing as a 7506. Oh god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back