Shure SRH1540 vs BeyerDynamic DT1770 , for non professional user ( pop and dance and hiphop and ...) which is better and more comfortable ?
Apr 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #16 of 21
I happen to like "polite." It makes long listening sessions much more fatigue free. That is why I love my Shure SRH1540s. I have a more hard-hitting, punchy set of headphones, but I find myself continually going back to the Shures for extended listening experiences.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 21
for me it s(h)ure is the 1540's.
I had the 1770 for about a week. Never could listen to them for more than half an hour. The trebles started bothering me. And I couldn't get used to the overall sound characteristics.
The 1540's are a bit more mellow but they don't do anything wrong. I traded my 1770 for a Chord Mojo and the Mojo and 1540 is a good match. 
Comfortwise the 1540 win by a large margin. 1770 are rather heavy and clamp harder.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 21
 I have Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GMs and they are spicy salsa, whereas the Shure SRH1540s are creamy butter.  I trade off. I use the Questyle QP1R with both.  Mid gain...

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #19 of 21
I used to have a decent audio setup, including the DT990 600ohm and Meier Corda Concerto and had to get rid of everything due to some hardships. Back in 2006 the 250ohm version of the DT990 was my first highend headphones, so that punchy bass and sizzling treble are what my ears grafted to.

I'm now able to afford some good audio again, and I went with the Shure SRH1540 after liking what I read about them, and paired them with a Fostex HP-A4BL. Gotta say, they're not what I'm used to. There's amazing detail and clarity, I will say. Plenty of bass and warmth too, but no real punch, and definitely no sizzle. I'm not feeling engaged in my music, particularly with electronic, but also with some others as well. I'm now contemplating what my next move will be.

Synergy is everything though. My DT990s could sound lethargic and unappealing too with the wrong amp, and it took me a while to pair them with just the right pieces. Once I did it was amazing. Expansive, luscious sound, with speed, dynamics, and impact.

That's why reading impressions and reviews is so difficult. There are dozens of variables, and one person's listening experience with a headphone can be completely polarized from someone else's.

In my case, I still have an old portable Meier amp that I've been plugging into various things to see if I can hear the version of the SRH1540 that I'm craving. So far my LG G5 phone is the closest I've come, and it sounds pretty dang good. A lot more punch and treble sparkle than any of my other sources have offered. Do I sell the Shures and go back to the safety of the headphones I used to own? Or do I take a chance and try a new DAC/Amp combo? I'm not sure, but the fact is I may be trying to mold the Shures into something they're not.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #20 of 21
  I used to have a decent audio setup, including the DT990 600ohm and Meier Corda Concerto and had to get rid of everything due to some hardships. Back in 2006 the 250ohm version of the DT990 was my first highend headphones, so that punchy bass and sizzling treble are what my ears grafted to.

I'm now able to afford some good audio again, and I went with the Shure SRH1540 after liking what I read about them, and paired them with a Fostex HP-A4BL. Gotta say, they're not what I'm used to. There's amazing detail and clarity, I will say. Plenty of bass and warmth too, but no real punch, and definitely no sizzle. I'm not feeling engaged in my music, particularly with electronic, but also with some others as well. I'm now contemplating what my next move will be.

Synergy is everything though. My DT990s could sound lethargic and unappealing too with the wrong amp, and it took me a while to pair them with just the right pieces. Once I did it was amazing. Expansive, luscious sound, with speed, dynamics, and impact.

That's why reading impressions and reviews is so difficult. There are dozens of variables, and one person's listening experience with a headphone can be completely polarized from someone else's.

In my case, I still have an old portable Meier amp that I've been plugging into various things to see if I can hear the version of the SRH1540 that I'm craving. So far my LG G5 phone is the closest I've come, and it sounds pretty dang good. A lot more punch and treble sparkle than any of my other sources have offered. Do I sell the Shures and go back to the safety of the headphones I used to own? Or do I take a chance and try a new DAC/Amp combo? I'm not sure, but the fact is I may be trying to mold the Shures into something they're not.

I really like the SRH1540s on the Questyle QP1R

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 21
I really like the SRH1540s on the Questyle QP1R

They work well for portable devices, just in general. For my purposes I need a stationary setup hooked into my PC.

I decided to buy the DT990 again just because I'm really familiar with their sound, and they'll tell me exactly what I need to know about the Fostex HP-A4BL. Sometimes it's a good idea to keep around a "safe" headphone that you know you like just so you can keep your barrings with all the other equipment you're experimenting with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back