Shure SRH1540 vs BeyerDynamic DT1770 , for non professional user ( pop and dance and hiphop and ...) which is better and more comfortable ?
Feb 16, 2016 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
Shure SRH1540 vs BeyerDynamic DT1770 , for non professional user who listens to pop and dance and hiphop , rap and .... ( no classic or jazz ) which is better and more comfortable ?

i am just a home user who wants to enjoy music the most , and i want my headphone to be very comfortable ( for 5-6 hour usage ) , which one should i go for ? if you vote for Shure , does it need an amp too ?

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 21
DT-1770 is a no brainer. Shure might well be technically superior in terms of neutrality, but it lacks the punch and "fun" that the DT-1770 has. (FWIW, I auditioned both side by side for about 45 minutes each)

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 21
DT-1770 is a no brainer. Shure might well be technically superior in terms of neutrality, but it lacks the punch and "fun" that the DT-1770 has. (FWIW, I auditioned both side by side for about 45 minutes each)

can you explain more ? what do you mean no brainer ?  which one will you go for , considering the genres that i listen ( pop dance hip hop rap rock )

ALSO which is more comfortable ? ( for long use )

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 21
shure are more comfy, but the beyerdynamic is a fair bit more punchy and has a tight yet full bass, it is however both heavier and clamps tighter than the shure. yes, its sound profile is more complimentary to the genres you listen to. it's not especially bright or aggressive but it has a very punchy and gutsy sound, whereas the shure is more timid/laid back imo.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 21
shure are more comfy, but the beyerdynamic is a fair bit more punchy and has a tight yet full bass, it is however both heavier and clamps tighter than the shure. yes, its sound profile is more complimentary to the genres you listen to. it's not especially bright or aggressive but it has a very punchy and gutsy sound, whereas the shure is more timid/laid back imo.

but i heard that shure 1540 has a boosted bass  ?! even with a boosted bass it's still has less bass than 1770 ?

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 21
shure are warm sounding but despite its boosted bass, it is soft and polite. dt 1770 hits harder.

but considering i sometimes use them more than 5-6 hour , i should go for 1770 or shure ? ( i just want to know if the comfort difference is huge or not , like using 1770 for long time can actually get uncomfortable ? , since there is not testing them out where i live )
also that 1770 looks so sick , i mean it even look more comfy than  1540 :D

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 21
shure is definitely more comfortable but soundwise, the bass will feel soft and a little loose imho.

if comfort is a huge issue the fostex massdrop th-x00 is a good compromise between the sound of the two, and a little cheaper.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cool-comfy-and-competent-shure-srh1540-page-2#b6DLhMAjolpeCt47.97

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 21
The Shure 1540s are the comfiest headphones I have ever worn, and I frequently do an eight hour day with them on. They have a very warm and soft sound, but at higher volumes the bass can get a bit out of control, with many people describing it as 'boomy'. I have no experience with the DT 1770, but I love my Shures. They do not require an amp at all, and do really well when travelling.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 21
  The Shure 1540s are the comfiest headphones I have ever worn, and I frequently do an eight hour day with them on. They have a very warm and soft sound, but at higher volumes the bass can get a bit out of control, with many people describing it as 'boomy'. I have no experience with the DT 1770, but I love my Shures. They do not require an amp at all, and do really well when travelling.

but why would i set a closed headphone at very high ?

so overall , in normal volume it's a great headphone right ? worth the price ? good with dance and hip hop and pop ? 

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 21
  but why would i set a closed headphone at very high ?

so overall , in normal volume it's a great headphone right ? worth the price ? good with dance and hip hop and pop ? 

Anything above my middle listening volume seemed to start getting a bit out of control. I would say it's a great headphone, especially if you're wanting to travel as it's really lightweight and made of very tough materials. Considering you don't need an amp I would say it's decent for the price.

I would say the 1540s are very good for dance, hip hop and pop, and I also really enjoy rock with them. I would say they are less ideal for classical and some jazz (but other bits of jazz sounds amazing). As long as you aren't looking for the smallest details, you'll find they can be quite energetic at times, and generally can play most genres well.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 21

Anything above my middle listening volume seemed to start getting a bit out of control. I would say it's a great headphone, especially if you're wanting to travel as it's really lightweight and made of very tough materials. Considering you don't need an amp I would say it's decent for the price.

I would say the 1540s are very good for dance, hip hop and pop, and I also really enjoy rock with them. I would say they are less ideal for classical and some jazz (but other bits of jazz sounds amazing). As long as you aren't looking for the smallest details, you'll find they can be quite energetic at times, and generally can play most genres well.

and in long usage , like 5-6 , can they get uncomfortable ? 

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 21
  and in long usage , like 5-6 , can they get uncomfortable ? 

No. Other than letting your ears air a little bit, the headphones are so light and the pads so comfortable that long periods aren't a problem. In my previous job I wore them whenever I was at my desk (sometimes for entire working days), and often worn them on long-haul flights for the entire duration.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 21
alright guys , since i can't test them before purchase , just answer me this : WHICH ONE of these would you go for if you were someone who just wants to listen to music in genres like pop , hip hop , dance etc , and sometimes using them more than 5-6 hour 

1.beyerdynamic DT1770 with beyerdynamic A20 ( amp)
2.shure srh1540 with E12 or E17 amp

since i can't test them before purchase just tell me which one do you suggest me buying for long usage in home ( and again , i don't listen to jazz or classic , so i don't think details matter in genres like pop and hip hop  and dance , or does it ?! )

just tell me which one would you go for if money difference was not an issue 

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 21
I have the same situation. I am looking for headphones with excellent comfort and for hip hop, pop, dance, rap ect. I am between sure 1540, sony mdr z7, and beyerdynamic 1770. With any I would get the Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp. What are your recommendations.
Thanks for your input. (I also have the situation where i cannot listen to them before i buy). Also i am a bass head.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back