Shure SRH1540 vs Audio Technica W1000x.
Nov 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sony Slave

100+ Head-Fier
From what I have read and researched both of these headphones sound somewhat similar. I know very little on how both headphones behave, other than they are both bassy but detailed as well. Their price points are very similar, $500 for the Shure's and $500 +/- (used)  for the Audio Technica's.

What are the pros and cons of the headphones when compared to each other and which one is overall superior?

As of right now I own the Shure SRH840 and I was just like to have something that sounds similar or the same, but better in every way if that makes since. Someone on the Shure SRH1540 thread said that the 1540's do just that.

What are your thoughts?

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 4
I can't speak for the Audio Technicas sound-wise, but some differences physically include:

ATH-W1000X:

leather/pleather ear pads
wing headband design

SRH1540:

soft ear pads
conventional headband design

I've never tried the ATH-W1000X on, but descriptions of the headband wings turned me off. And I always prefer velour or Alcantara® ear pads over leather/pleather.

What sound signature you prefer will largely come down to preference, which is "overall superior" is difficult to objectively quantify.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 4
sorry for being necromantic, but i am in the same situation. always loved the srh940 for details and imaging and now looking for an upgrade. love my es700 as well, so w1000x and srh1540 are on top of my list. anyone listened to both and tell differences especially in imaging, soundstage and detail retrieval?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back