Shure SRH1540 Review
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2,566 of 2,683
If you're gentle, the pillow strips pull right off as if they were never there.

The geekria pad I replaced them with is a little loose on the sides, unlike any of the photos here. I am wondering if it's my pad, or if folks kept their pillow strips.
I kept them. No need to remove to fit the HD280 pad.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #2,567 of 2,683
Ended cutting and sewing an old DT770 headband. It’s not bad, but it’s stretched tight enough that it’s not as comfortable as I think it could be.
A0EE201B-2CB2-4052-AFD7-C9B2ABA5842F.jpeg

Attachments

• EBFE5E52-0B04-4D4C-B693-B79C71CAAB76.jpeg
    EBFE5E52-0B04-4D4C-B693-B79C71CAAB76.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,568 of 2,683
I kept them. No need to remove to fit the HD280 pad.
Unless the headphone no longer fits your head basically doubling pad volume like that.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #2,569 of 2,683
Having now tried both the DT-770 and HD280 pads, I think I actually slightly prefer the DT-770 pads. Plus they look a lot more aesthetically pleasing, add a bit of welcome tension to sliding the ear pieces in and out, and are a lot less annoying to put on.

So if you're up for a little sewing (or maybe gluing), then I would highly recommend giving them a shot.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #2,570 of 2,683
Well, my safe locked me out, so I don't have access to any of my audio players or headphones.

Big time music lover

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,571 of 2,683
Well, I am still locked out of my safe. A month without DAPs or headphones. The locksmith is coming on October 4th.

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #2,572 of 2,683
Well, I am still locked out of my safe. A month without DAPs or headphones. The locksmith is coming on October 4th.
Getting closer to the 4th of October now :)

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,573 of 2,683
Nov 20, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #2,574 of 2,683
Phew, pretty long thread, finished it at least ))
Thank you all for informative comments, they are very helpful.
I guess I've read every comment and review on the internet and watched every video on youtube about srh1540.
So, almost all my potential questions about them are pretty much covered :)
The ultimate question will be answered by my ears, in like a week or so.

Just one question left, I have atom amp+ & topping d10s combo. Has anyone here got experience with this duo paired with srh1540?
My logic is that they should pair well, because this amp/dac combo is pretty transparent and srh1540 is warm sounding headphone.
I also have fiio btr5 with 2.5mm balanced output, but I'm not sure I want to spend more on balanced cables and even then, I"m not sure btr5 will give me better sound on balanced than atom+topping.

Thank you guys one more time for this much information condensed in one thread, that was fantastic reading :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #2,575 of 2,683
I guess I've read every comment and review on the internet and watched every video on youtube about srh1540.

Just one question left, I have atom amp+ & topping d10s combo. Has anyone here got experience with this duo paired with srh1540?
My logic is that they should pair well, because this amp/dac combo is pretty transparent and srh1540 is warm sounding headphone.
I also have fiio btr5 with 2.5mm balanced output, but I'm not sure I want to spend more on balanced cables and even then, I"m not sure btr5 will give me better sound on balanced than atom+topping.

Thank you guys one more time for this much information condensed in one thread, that was fantastic reading :)

I have not heard the SRH1540 (still :frowning2: ), but I have owned the SRH840 and own an Atom amp (not Plus), and I think that the atom amp+ will work perfectly with the SRH1540 on high gain and probably will need to a little past 1:00 o’clock on the volume pot. The SRH 1540 is rated at 46 ohms, but those stock alcantara ear pads will probably beg for just a tad more volume as well. Hope this helps! :)

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,576 of 2,683

I usually listen to my 1540 from my Liquid Spark. It's a good combo. I think the 1540 plays really well with clean solid-state amps like the Spark or your Atom.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #2,577 of 2,683

I love balanced. All my outputs are 4.4mm

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #2,578 of 2,683
I have not heard the SRH1540 (still :frowning2: ), but I have owned the SRH840 and own an Atom amp (not Plus), and I think that the atom amp+ will work perfectly with the SRH1540 on high gain and probably will need to a little past 1:00 o’clock on the volume pot. The SRH 1540 is rated at 46 ohms, but those stock alcantara ear pads will probably beg for just a tad more volume as well. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks for the the reply :)
I also had srh840 with this stack and they sounded amazing to me.
But I used it on low gain at 12 o'clock, I have rather long listening sessions and high volume tires my ears. So I really liked the fact that srh840 sounded good on low volumes, beside for their tuning.
So I intend to listen srh1540 also on low gain, hope it will be enough, because beside the volume factor I believe that lower gain = lower distortion (if I'm not interpreting something wrong here).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #2,579 of 2,683
I usually listen to my 1540 from my Liquid Spark. It's a good combo. I think the 1540 plays really well with clean solid-state amps like the Spark or your Atom.
Glad to hear that :)
Hope that topping d10s will also play nicely in this trio.

I love balanced. All my outputs are 4.4mm
At some point I'll definitely would try balanced, but it means I need to upgrade my amp and cables and right now (now = new home and full renovation) I'm not ready to spend anymore, even $499 was hard to swallow :)

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #2,580 of 2,683
I started out using balanced for most headphones/cables. But I wound up with a MicroZOTL2 amp (heavily modded), and a Dethonray as my portable player, both single ended, both sound great (with the right headphones). I wound up having to get adapters to use many of my cables single ended. There isn't any inherent sonic superiority of balabced (there are amazing sounding single ended units out there)-it's all in the implementation, as they say...(I'm not against balanced, my main stereo has a Krell balanced amp, PeachTree balanced preamp...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back