Shure SRH1540 Review
Jun 4, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #2,086 of 2,678
Very good decision. Yesterday I got the balanced cable for my 1540s and when paired with the WM1Z the sound was a revelation; listening to Patricia Barber's Café Blue in DSD late at night was a completely blissful experience, one of the most revealing sonic experiences I've ever had.

Have you ever heard the SRH1540s with the NW-WM1A? That is what I am using and it is delightful. I have always been curious as to how the phones would differ with the NW-WM1Z...

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #2,087 of 2,678
Have you ever heard the SRH1540s with the NW-WM1A? That is what I am using and it is delightful. I have always been curious as to how the phones would differ with the NW-WM1Z...
:S Sorry but I have never been able to test the sound paired with the WM1A. I'm still rockin the WM1Z-SRH1540s (balanced) combo, It's the best thing ever.

Jun 26, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #2,090 of 2,678
best closed-back headphones for pop & old school rock music. but for me the bass is a little bit too much.
thx for sharing.

I finally got a pair. Yes, there is some bass emphasis, but I don't find it off-putting and I think the soundstage (particularly in terms of depth) is superb for a closed back headphone. They are also amazingly comfortable both to wear and to listen to for long periods of time - something too often overlooked (in my view) when considering the merits of headphones.

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #2,092 of 2,678
I don't get the "emphasized bass" critique on the 1540s. For me, they seem to focus more on the upper mids (as most cans seem to do). I frequently throw some EQ on these and they really come to life.
One of the measures I use to determine very low bass response is to play the opening of Love or Confusion by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. There is an ultra low moment there which the 1540s totally miss. Granted, it's an almost inaudible moment on many sets I've tried. It's almost like you feel it rather than hear it. I'm not a total bass-head, but if you consider replicating the sound from a decent home theater set-up, most headphones fall short of the sub-woofer element. To my ears, the Senn HD600s sound more natural, but I often find myself reaching for the 1540s instead. Perhaps they are a bit more engaging or "enthusiastic".

Jun 26, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #2,093 of 2,678
I don't get the "emphasized bass" critique on the 1540s. For me, they seem to focus more on the upper mids (as most cans seem to do). I frequently throw some EQ on these and they really come to life.
One of the measures I use to determine very low bass response is to play the opening of Love or Confusion by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. There is an ultra low moment there which the 1540s totally miss. Granted, it's an almost inaudible moment on many sets I've tried. It's almost like you feel it rather than hear it. I'm not a total bass-head, but if you consider replicating the sound from a decent home theater set-up, most headphones fall short of the sub-woofer element. To my ears, the Senn HD600s sound more natural, but I often find myself reaching for the 1540s instead. Perhaps they are a bit more engaging or "enthusiastic".

I’d guess it’s a limitation of the dynamic drivers. Perhaps planars can reach that note?

It seems to me neutral is bass light in most people’s minds. To me these are a tad lifted in the bass and treble areas from that kind of ‘bass-lite neutral’ so that nothing is masked by the mids, but not so much that the mids are underrepresented either.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,094 of 2,678
They do roll off under 40 hz, especially 30 hz. The bass emphasis warms them up nicely, but I do wish it stayed emphasized or at least flat out to or below 20 hz. That's the only frequency issue I have once I'd put NVX pleather pads on (very similar to Brainwavz classic pleather pads, just a bit softer). With the alcantara stock pads there is a touch more low bass, but some peaks in the highs I'm not crazy about. The pleather seem to smooth that, though they do cause a very slight bit of reflection that is audible on some songs. Most of the time not noticed, but occasionally it's there. There are headphones that can hit below 30 hz like a great sub in a great room and unfortunately they're not quite that.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #2,095 of 2,678
Well, got my 1540's yesterday afternoon. Spent the evening dong some hobby stuff (don't ask...) while trying them out for the first time. So far some music sounds great, some not so good. But have only used them for perhaps 5 hours so far, I expect they will improve with time :guitar::musical_score:

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2,097 of 2,678
Hi. I have a question.

Are SRH-1540s good for mobile use?

Do they need an amp or would they work with just a phone?

They are not power hungry cans. My Sony NW - WM1A drives them beautifully out of the balanced output. I am not sure about phones...

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,099 of 2,678
I can't drive mine worth a crap with my Galaxy S9+

I would not expect a phone to drive them. You at least need a good dap. You could add a portable amp to the phone. Personally I think they too big to be portable.

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #2,100 of 2,678
I would not expect a phone to drive them. You at least need a good dap. You could add a portable amp to the phone. Personally I think they too big to be portable.

I use them at work while I am casing mail, but I certainly wouldn't walk around town with them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back