Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,246 of 2,681

This is what I did for padding.  I ordered it off Amazon.  It is a universal knit sleeve.  Works very well as it removes pressure points.

I have to admit that while I like my 1540's, the headband padding is a joke for $500 headphones. Your solution looks a little to Easy for me, but I may have to try something. I've already lowered the cups to relieve the pressure of the headband, so that is not an issue, but the small amount of padding on the headband had compressed and is leaning away from my head. Umm, I'll have to see of a DT-770 headband will fit the 1540's. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,248 of 2,681
T

I have to admit that while I like my 1540's, the headband padding is a joke for $500 headphones. Your solution looks a little to Easy for me, but I may have to try something. I've already lowered the cups to relieve the pressure of the headband, so that is not an issue, but the small amount of padding on the headband had compressed and is leaning away from my head. Umm, I'll have to see of a DT-770 headband will fit the 1540's. 

They will not, I tried my dt990 and it is just too small.  

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,249 of 2,681
Just got my PS4 camera in, streaming with my 1540s if anyone wants to see how the alpha pads fit on my head and what not. Just click the Twitch link in my signature.

Beware, however, of ugly person wearing them :p

May 1, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #1,253 of 2,681

agreed!

what amp/dac are people using this with?

Still have not find the perfect match for the SRH1540. At this very moment trying them with the Geek Out 450 for the first time. Combo sounds promising.

Edit: Geek Out now warmed up and some songs played, good stuff =)

May 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,254 of 2,681
Use Geek Out 1K, replaced by GO Special Edition, great sound...also really nice sounding out of my Ray Samuels HR-2. Should have a review sample MicreZOTL in the next 2-4 weeks, from what I hear should be a really good choice, but I'll be able to say more when I actually get it.

May 1, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,255 of 2,681

agreed!

what amp/dac are people using this with?

I use NAD D1050 and found it a good upgrade to the STX, although I have not A/B it so I could be imagining it, but I am pretty sure it sounds better, more midrange and smoother treble. Turning the volume up on the D1050 amp also makes them more punchy sounding. I don't have any urge to upgrade anymore really, this combo sounds either great or good enough with everything I use it for... also surprisingly very good with games and usable for general usage like youtube videos etc. (which can sound unlistenable on some headphones) Would like a "high end" rig at some point but too much money!

May 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,257 of 2,681
Hmmm, I've got the C5, after an initial honeymoon that I used it a lot, I started to note a bit of grain in the presentation. Sure enough, compared to the ALO National, much more open, clear, grain gone. YMMV, of course. Haven't used it much since...

May 5, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #1,258 of 2,681
To be honest the combo of the 1540 + D1050 is end game for me (unless I have loads of money at some point and buy some Audeze, if they release some lighter and more comfortable headphones) the D1050 +1540 sounds very very good, the D1050 makes the 1540 very punchy and the mids are more forward than Xonar STX, nice punchy bass and close to perfect treble, very good soundstage and imaging for closed headphones, not slow either like HD650 for example.

Maybe this is why I do not think they are that recessed... The mids sounded more recessed and the treble was sharper (worse / sibilant) on the Xonar STX. If you don't believe me go and try a NAD D1050.... the amp is great with lower impedance headphones like the 1540.... So from the huge amount of headphones under £500 and dacs I have owned or demo'd, the D1050 + 1540 gets the award for best sounding, most comfortable and versatile headphones / dac / amp that sounds great with everything. Very happy with this combo, every time I use it I am still impressed after owning it approx 5 months. I cannot find much to complain about with these headphones / dac
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,259 of 2,681
I'm looking for high-quality headphones that I want to pair with a decent amplifier (I'm eying the Foster V1) and checked out a variety of headphones on the internet. The MDR-Z7 or HD700 caught my eye but there are too many mixed reviews and drawbacks that I decided to keep looking and ended up with the SRH1540. It seems everybody loves these and nobody has serious gripes with them. I only have one question: What is the difference between the SRH1540 and its "big brother", the SRH1840? The 1840 cost roughly the same and some dealers sell them for even less than the 1540. The 1840 appear to be pretty awesome as well.

Can anyone comment on the differences? 

May 12, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,260 of 2,681
I have not personally heard the 1840 but I can tell you about them from other people I have heard from.  The 1840 is obviously gong to be more airy due the the open back.  The sound stage will be wider and imaging is slightly better if I recall.  The bass will be thin when compared to the 1540 which has ample bass.  The overall fit is the same but I would say 1540 wins in comfort as it has the alcantara pads.  I would say your first and foremost concern would be usage.  Do you need isolation? are you listening at home or an office? The 1540 (my current favorite) is decent at isolation and sound leakage.  Sound is nice and full with good separation (especially considering it is a closed headphones).  I can only recommend the 1540 as I have not heard the 1840.  I think you should be happy with either.  Biggest factor should be what you will use it for.  I think the 1540 is more versatile simply cause it can be used in a variety of environments.

I hope this helps somewhat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back