Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 21, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,111 of 2,671
These headphones are great tbh... I have other headphones but I don't really bother with them, always use the 1540 for any type of music, no ear pain, comfortable, sound very good with everything.. NAD D1050 + SRH 1540 is very high levels of win. Might try some HE400i but looking at the FR graphs I think they will be bright. Are the HE400i bright compared to the 1540?

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,113 of 2,671
@Everyone that's tried the HD 700 vs the 1540

It'd be very interesting to see a comparison between the two. I know it's apples to oranges - open to closed, but still interesting to see the difference.

Quote:
Lachlan just uploaded a very favorable first impressions video comaparing it to his mdr z7! The 1540 really is a great value.

Quick question - the Dynamat mod - is it very similar to the other headphones?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r

Is there anything special to remember if I want to do this mod to the 1540? I'm thinking about trying it out in a few months from now once I get used to the 1540.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,114 of 2,671
Quick question - the Dynamat mod - is it very similar to the other headphones?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r

Is there anything special to remember if I want to do this mod to the 1540? I'm thinking about trying it out in a few months from now once I get used to the 1540.

As long as you don't find yourself attached to their loose bass there isn't much to miss. There are people who actually prefer resonant bass with slower decay so if you are one of those people, don't do this mod. If you like more forward mids and an overall cleaner sound than this mod is for you. It is the same thing as the mdr1r mod, and has the same effect.

I have owned the shure 1540 and hd700 but sold them both. The hd700 has a much bigger sound stage, has more treble presence, more forward mids, Alot more air to each note, but can get a bit siblant at higher volumes, and isn't as good an allrounder imo. The shure sound is more in your face as a whole, doesn't have as much detail, but is a safer tuning with thicker notes.

Both are fantastic, the hd700 is technically superior, but I do enjoy the 1540's tuning more.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #1,115 of 2,671
Thanks for the comments - I will think carefully about it. I actually kind of like the bass, but I would like to see if a bigger sound stage is possible with the Dynamat. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

It is amazing though that the 1540 is holding up pretty well to more expensive cans though. Probably on the Alpha Dogs are a peer among closed headphones under $1k.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,116 of 2,671
  Thanks for the comments - I will think carefully about it. I actually kind of like the bass, but I would like to see if a bigger sound stage is possible with the Dynamat. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

It is amazing though that the 1540 is holding up pretty well to more expensive cans though. Probably on the Alpha Dogs are a peer among closed headphones under $1k.

I don't know if they technically hold up to more expensive headphones but the overall sound tuning and lack of obvious flaws is hard to beat. If I had to find problems I would say the bass could have more resolution and go a bit deeper... Although I like the way the bass sounds as it is, the treble could have slightly less of a peak at 10-12khz, the soundstage could be even bigger, midrange could be slightly more forward... But none of these things are even close to being bad already.... overall these are as close to perfect as I have heard for not fatiguing / comfortable / well built / sound good at everything... Overall definitely my favorite headphones.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,117 of 2,671

I don't know if they technically hold up to more expensive headphones but the overall sound tuning and lack of obvious flaws is hard to beat. If I had to find problems I would say the bass could have more resolution and go a bit deeper... Although I like the way the bass sounds as it is, the treble could have slightly less of a peak at 10-12khz, the soundstage could be even bigger, midrange could be slightly more forward... But none of these things are even close to being bad already.... overall these are as close to perfect as I have heard for not fatiguing / comfortable / well built / sound good at everything... Overall definitely my favorite headphones.

Yeah only thing I think I would change is maybe bring the vocals forward a bit more, on some tracks they seem a little recessed.  However it is hard to complain when there is really nothing "bad."  about them.  

I think another thing often over looked with these is that they can, and sound good, with just about any system.  I have run them through many different sources and they all sound great.  They can be improved, but never would I consider them bad.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,118 of 2,671
They have enough "technicalities" to sound good, I have heard slightly more technically "proficient" headphones. But I think what matters is the overall sound and if you enjoy listening to them... So what if headphones have amazing imaging or detail if you are being assaulted in the eardrums with sibilance or it feels like you have a dumbell on your head due to the weight etc. What I think is impressive about the 1540 is the overall sound / build / comfort and you can just put them on and enjoy music on them without being irritated by any obvious problems with the sound or comfort etc.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,119 of 2,671
I just sold my 1540. Had them since first release and honestly, they are just too overpriced and lacking in areas to justify keeping them. Firstly the mids, the mids sound too lean! They have that typical U curve. Vocals sound like they have the emotion drained out. There's some peaks up top too that get really bothersome. The bass is impactful but not very controlled.
Soundstage due to the lean, dry nature is obviously pretty decent.

Very hard to recommend at that price. It sounds more like a typical mid fi closed back rather than a high end one. It is actually a mid fi product but Shure as a company are pretty over priced.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,122 of 2,671
I just sold my 1540. Had them since first release and honestly, they are just too overpriced and lacking in areas to justify keeping them. Firstly the mids, the mids sound too lean! They have that typical U curve. Vocals sound like they have the emotion drained out. There's some peaks up top too that get really bothersome. The bass is impactful but not very controlled.
Soundstage due to the lean, dry nature is obviously pretty decent.

Very hard to recommend at that price. It sounds more like a typical mid fi closed back rather than a high end one. It is actually a mid fi product but Shure as a company are pretty over priced.

What mid fi headphones sound as good as the shure in terms of refinement etc.? You can make the midrange sound less recessed by a small amount of EQ at 10-12khz which lowers the treble peak and makes everything else more forward. Typical mid fi can pfft, I have used most of thm and none of them are as refined or good all rounders as the 1540, the price is quite high but you get nice materials / build quality, excellent comfort and spare cables and pads. Shure is not overpriced, they have good products are low / mid / high end of market.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,123 of 2,671

What mid fi headphones sound as good as the shure in terms of refinement etc.? You can make the midrange sound less recessed by a small amount of EQ at 10-12khz which lowers the treble peak and makes everything else more forward. Typical mid fi can pfft, I have used most of thm and none of them are as refined or good all rounders as the 1540, the price is quite high but you get nice materials / build quality, excellent comfort and spare cables and pads. Shure is not overpriced, they have good products are low / mid / high end of market.

and let us not forget that they have awesome warranties on their products (just had my SE215 repaired for free)

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,124 of 2,671
At low volumes they sound better but still nothing drastic. Lol
The treble isn't the only problem It's the bass too. I can buy any headphone an EQ it but I don't believe in buying a high quality product just to EQ.

They are absolutely mid fi. They are not hifi. They don't compete with the TH900 and even TH50RP mods such as the Alpha Dog..they are what you call hifi closed back. They are a midfi headphone on the same level as the HP50 and others in that circle. Infact the NAD has a better toneality and is more balanced. Vocals are smoother and flow better.

Try hearing the LCD-2 and HE-500 or if we are talking closed; the TH900 for a taste of real hifi. Yes some of those are expensive but most of them match their price better compared to competitors.

The only reason I kept them so long was just because. I had a dedicated audio room so just wanted to have a nice collection just for the sake of it. Now I'm just trimming the fat so to speak.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,125 of 2,671
At low volumes they sound better but still nothing drastic. Lol
The treble isn't the only problem It's the bass too. I can buy any headphone an EQ it but I don't believe in buying a high quality product just to EQ.

They are absolutely mid fi. They are not hifi. They don't compete with the TH900 and even TH50RP mods such as the Alpha Dog..they are what you call hifi closed back. They are a midfi headphone on the same level as the HP50 and others in that circle. Infact the NAD has a better toneality and is more balanced. Vocals are smoother and flow better.

Try hearing the LCD-2 and HE-500 or if we are talking closed; the TH900 for a taste of real hifi. Yes some of those are expensive but most of them match their price better compared to competitors.

The only reason I kept them so long was just because. I had a dedicated audio room so just wanted to have a nice collection just for the sake of it. Now I'm just trimming the fat so to speak.

LCD2 and HE500 I am sure are probably better but also need serious amping, cost a lot more and are not as light / comfortable... So yes a porsche 918  is obviously better than a porsche 911... but it also costs a lot more... LCD2 + an amp is about TRIPLE the price of 1540... At £300 I paid for the Shures I do not think there is anything better as an all rounder. Denon Dxxxx, Momentums, HE400 and HD650 are all very good in particular ways but do not have as good all round sound that works well with every genre.

For example the mids are slightly too recessed / thin at times on 1540, but then on the HE400 and D2000 they are extremely recessed... The problems on the 1540 are minor compared to others. HD650 has better mids but no sub bass at all, Momentums sound good but have miniscule soundstage, HE400 and D2000 have horrible sibilant treble unless heavily EQ to the point they have basically no treble left (HE400).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back