Shure SRH1540 Review
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #616 of 2,678
So I went back to the dealer who has LCD-XC and took a heavy-hitter source chain with me this time, and spent an hour there. (And this time there wasn't a crazy European guy in the back room demoing $50k speakers at 110db with big-band music...) I was able to identify areas where the LCD-XC was clearly superior... impact, staging, attack... the 1540s are extremely unveiled cans, but the XCs are that much more transparent, in the "tickle your eardrums" kind of way. But I'd still put the 1540s at a solid 85% of the LCD-XCs at almost 1/4th the cost... and that's with a source chain that costs more than the XCs. Something to consider if you can afford the absolute best, but for under $1k the 1540s and I'd say the Alpha Dogs cannot be beat for closed.

You should add a signature or update your profile with what gear you have. I believe you are refering to your m920? Oh btw I checked out the m920 at an audio show last weekend. What a terrific amp/DAC! If I didn't already own the Bifrost Uber I would probably have the m920 on my list for a future amp. My only problem with Audeze cans is I can't get over that they cost 1k+ and they're so uncomfortable and heavy compared to others cans I own. Now the HE560s are another story (light and comfortable).

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #617 of 2,678
You should add a signature or update your profile with what gear you have. I believe you are refering to your m920? Oh btw I checked out the m920 at an audio show last weekend. What a terrific amp/DAC! If I didn't already own the Bifrost Uber I would probably have the m920 on my list for a future amp. My only problem with Audeze cans is I can't get over that they cost 1k+ and they're so uncomfortable and heavy compared to others cans I own. Now the HE560s are another story (light and comfortable).

Updated my profile. Yes, it was the m920 with a laptop full of high-res music. Also brought my FiiO E18. I had zero problem with comfort or weight on the LCD-XCs once I learned how to work the cup positioning things. Clamping pressure was perfect, even a bit on the lighter side, which is exactly the opposite of what most people claim about these headphones. But yeah, dat price...

On a side note, the dealer had a Chord Hugo that I tried, and boy was it terrible. I also recall listening to it at the recent SF meet and did not think much of it then, and a bunch of other people next to me echoed the same opinion. Sounded damp and musty, and even the E18 blew it away.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #618 of 2,678

Updated my profile. Yes, it was the m920 with a laptop full of high-res music. Also brought my FiiO E18. I had zero problem with comfort or weight on the LCD-XCs once I learned how to work the cup positioning things. Clamping pressure was perfect, even a bit on the lighter side, which is exactly the opposite of what most people claim about these headphones. But yeah, dat price...

On a side note, the dealer had a Chord Hugo that I tried, and boy was it terrible. I also recall listening to it at the recent SF meet and did not think much of it then, and a bunch of other people next to me echoed the same opinion. Sounded damp and musty, and even the E18 blew it away.

Very cool man! 

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #622 of 2,678
Hi all,

I had tried 1540 several times at my favourite headphone shop. Love the mid presentation and the strong bass. 1540 is one of the most wanted headphones in my want-to-own until recently when I was about to make that decision, I saw that the 2 small foam support are actually sticked onto the headband using double sided tape. Wondering if anyone having issue with it peeling off as the demo set I tried is starting to peel off.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #623 of 2,678
Hi all,

I had tried 1540 several times at my favourite headphone shop. Love the mid presentation and the strong bass. 1540 is one of the most wanted headphones in my want-to-own until recently when I was about to make that decision, I saw that the 2 small foam support are actually sticked onto the headband using double sided tape. Wondering if anyone having issue with it peeling off as the demo set I tried is starting to peel off.

Don't have that issue. Those foam headband strips are my only dislike of the build quality, when you put them on they squash forward or backwards anyway so the actual foam doesn't do much for me. Would have preferred a solid piece of foam than 2 strips.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #624 of 2,678
Well, sold my Asgard 2 and Music Streamer II in anticipation to get a better pairing DAC for my SRH1540. After only using the F887 for a few days, I noticed that my desktop setup was a bit too warm for it, almost sloppy at times depending on the track. I knew, right away, that the warm sounding MSII was the cause of this, as the Asgard is pretty neutral with a hint of warmth, and the pairing was just not very good. I did not want to add bulk to my already space challenged desk by upgrading to the Bifrost, so I went to Audio-gd for a solution all-in-one amp/dac. Boy, am I glad I made this switch....

Very much happier with this setup! 
dt880smile.png

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #625 of 2,678
Well, sold my Asgard 2 and Music Streamer II in anticipation to get a better pairing DAC for my SRH1540. After only using the F887 for a few days, I noticed that my desktop setup was a bit too warm for it, almost sloppy at times depending on the track. I knew, right away, that the warm sounding MSII was the cause of this, as the Asgard is pretty neutral with a hint of warmth, and the pairing was just not very good. I did not want to add bulk to my already space challenged desk by upgrading to the Bifrost, so I went to Audio-gd for a solution all-in-one amp/dac. Boy, am I glad I made this switch....

Very much happier with this setup! :dt880smile:

Nice man and congrats on the new item.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #627 of 2,678
Yes, the 1540 is indeed a bit warm and is best paired with a more analytical setup.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #628 of 2,678
I am really debating between the 1540 and Denon D600.. Is the extra ~$150 or so worth the bump to the Shures? I think I WOULD actually call myself a bass head but I do not want outrageously booming destructive bass. I want something deep, powerful, rich and cinematic/rolling smooth. From what I read, It seems that the 1540 has higher QUALITY bass.. but does the D600 have MORE? or are they about the same in quantity and Shure is just higher quality bass?

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #629 of 2,678
  I am really debating between the 1540 and Denon D600.. Is the extra ~$150 or so worth the bump to the Shures? I think I WOULD actually call myself a bass head but I do not want outrageously booming destructive bass. I want something deep, powerful, rich and cinematic/rolling smooth. From what I read, It seems that the 1540 has higher QUALITY bass.. but does the D600 have MORE? or are they about the same in quantity and Shure is just higher quality bass?

The Shure has a more neutral sound signature.  The Denon D600s mids and highs are recessed.  It sounds like you would be paying way too much for the D600s.  I think $200-250 is what you should aim for, for the D600.  That is unless you are finding the 1540s for much less than $500?

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #630 of 2,678
  The Shure has a more neutral sound signature.  The Denon D600s mids and highs are recessed.  It sounds like you would be paying way too much for the D600s.  I think $200-250 is what you should aim for, for the D600.  That is unless you are finding the 1540s for much less than $500?

Ah.. Thank you for the info.. Really the only place I have looked online is Amazon.. which is asking $350 new.. obviously that's a bloated price.. would you be able to give me your personal advice on whether the Shure's are worth their double price tag to the Denons? This is my first serious pair of headphones (Only have BW C5s right now) and I just want something very nice right off the bat and then get amps if necessary for different sounds. As long as someone can guarantee me that the Shure's have enough boom to them and are deep/rolling in bass I should like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back