Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #257 of 2,678
Actually, if my memory serves me right, these are actually like an 840 with more impact down low, and a wider soundstage. More technically refined, also....

They share a number of tonal qualities, but the relative treble spike at 9 khz affects some listeners. That's what I was going on.  But, I haven't heard them, so I have no other rebuttal than that.  Can't say anything more.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #258 of 2,678
They share a number of tonal qualities, but the relative treble spike at 9 khz affects some listeners. That's what I was going on.  But, I haven't heard them, so I have no other rebuttal than that.  Can't say anything more.

Which was my point about the 1540 being more technically refined. If one likes the 840, and would like some more bass and a wider soundstage... which in result leads to smoother treble... then the 1540 is the perfect choice for an upgrade.

It improves on that Shure sound of the 840... without being completely different.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #259 of 2,678

Background, I'm 30 (from Australia) and listen to a lot of punk/rock/metal/hardcore/indie music and do some music production at home.... but the way you guys use adjectives on sound is still a bit foreign to me :)

For me clarity/soundstage is really key, I've got a pair of KRK-ROKIT's I use at home for everyday speakers and just love them over "the best logitech setup" etc. I guess I like super neutral things and can sit back and appreciate however good/bad the recording is without having to tweak bass/treble... I just accept the music as it comes to me.

So treble on the hot side, doesn't sound super appealing from a music recording point of view but from a listening pov I might be misinterpreting it. 

I guess based on your suggestion the Shure's might be the winner. 
Another thing that has me worried about the T90's is the fixed cord... do these things actually last 5+ years? Something about being able to get a new cable appeals to me (but I admit I do hate how it does the split thing halfway down the cable on the shures, but I can deal).

The 1540s do have very nice treble, and it extends very high and clear.  I'm not usually believer in break in, but the treble did come to life after some good break in. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #260 of 2,678

The 1540s do have very nice treble, and it extends very high and clear.  I'm not usually believer in break in, but the treble did come to life after some good break in. 

Thanks guys,

It would be SUPER handy to have a local shop to test these things in but alas, nothing.

The store I'm going to order them from is interstate but they allow an exchange within 20 days. I'll probably end up ordering the 1540's and if my itch isn't quite scratched I'll do an exchange.... and if the T90's aren't worth it again I'll do a double exchange back to the 1540's (they've already said this is fine to do). 

I guess the real question is..... Are the 1540's worth the money/a noteworthy upgrade from the 840's. From everything I've read the answer is yes... I mean even comfortwise they look WAY more comfortable going from the leathery style earpads to that softer material.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #261 of 2,678
  Thanks guys,

It would be SUPER handy to have a local shop to test these things in but alas, nothing.

The store I'm going to order them from is interstate but they allow an exchange within 20 days. I'll probably end up ordering the 1540's and if my itch isn't quite scratched I'll do an exchange.... and if the T90's aren't worth it again I'll do a double exchange back to the 1540's (they've already said this is fine to do). 

I guess the real question is..... Are the 1540's worth the money/a noteworthy upgrade from the 840's. From everything I've read the answer is yes... I mean even comfortwise they look WAY more comfortable going from the leathery style earpads to that softer material.

I never heard the 840s, so can't comment.  However, I bought the HD600s when they were still $300 and the DT990s when they were $220.  I had reservations about paying that much for headphones, even before they jumped in price to $400 and $380, respectively.  I bought the 1540 at full $500 retail.  Absolutely no regrets or remorse.  Worth every penny to me.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #262 of 2,678

I never heard the 840s, so can't comment.  However, I bought the HD600s when they were still $300 and the DT990s when they were $220.  I had reservations about paying that much for headphones, even before they jumped in price to $400 and $380, respectively.  I bought the 1540 at full $500 retail.  Absolutely no regrets or remorse.  Worth every penny to me.

Awesome man, sounds inspiring.

Normally I would scoff at open headphones because it just doesn't suit my listening needs, but now that I've been tossing up the decision I keep thinking "opens theoretically sound better, go with those". Arrrrrgh, just going to order the 1540's and stay ignorant to opens. If they arrive and sound amazing and deliver everything I expect then I'm not really losing anything. I like everything Shure related and everyone seems to be saying the 1540's are a winner so it's a no brainer at this point. 

... I say this but I'm sure I'll flip flop my decision 15 times in the next 3 hours haha.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #263 of 2,678
The 1540 sound very open as far as closed cans go. You won't mistake them for open, but they're not congested at all.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #265 of 2,678

I have zero regrets about buying mine also.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #266 of 2,678
  Yeah like the biggest appeal about the opens is soundstage. I'm not sure what your experience is like with opens but would you say the 1540's are more than fine for soundstage?

Not as wide as my HD600 or DT990, but more integrated.  The HD600 and DT990 have somewhat of the "three blob" image (front, right ear, left ear), but the 1540 seems to be more coherent, even if it is not as wide.

The 1540 have plenty of soundstage.  They're closed, so no getting around that.  But they're not cramped or congested. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #267 of 2,678
Yeah like the biggest appeal about the opens is soundstage. I'm not sure what your experience is like with opens but would you say the 1540's are more than fine for soundstage?

I find them quite good for soundstage especially for a closed headphone. In fact, i have been considering sealing my hd650s since i got the 1540s (I sold my DT880s and D2000 too because i enjoyed my 1540s so much).

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #268 of 2,678
I'm kind of contradicting my neutral-ish nature, but I think I might like 1540 even more if it was more colored. Now that I'm used to colored iems like MDR7550 and IM03, 1540 sounds bit polite. Now, don't get me wrong. I still love SRH1540, and think that they have awesome SQ. It's just that if it's too neutral, it has no merits for me, as UERM does that perfectly. But if you are looking for slightly colored hp, SRH1540 is a great choice. 

Also, I'm getting a carat topaz amp, so let's see how that pairs with the 1540.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #269 of 2,678
Which was my point about the 1540 being more technically refined. If one likes the 840, and would like some more bass and a wider soundstage... which in result leads to smoother treble... then the 1540 is the perfect choice for an upgrade.

It improves on that Shure sound of the 840... without being completely different.

I thought the 840's treble and midrange quantity was perfection dude...

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #270 of 2,678

Not as wide as my HD600 or DT990, but more integrated.  The HD600 and DT990 have somewhat of the "three blob" image (front, right ear, left ear), but the 1540 seems to be more coherent, even if it is not as wide.

The 1540 have plenty of soundstage.  They're closed, so no getting around that.  But they're not cramped or congested.

soundstage and 3d Imaging is awesome, but sometimes it sounds a Little wierd and tubular. they Portrait a room, but at the same time Sound closed in. srh940 for example has similar 3d Imaging but sounds much more open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back