Shure SRH1540 Review
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,356 of 2,672
1) which "South Bay"? I am in the SF Bay Area myself.

2) I much prefer sheepskin over velour/suede/Alcantara, etc, due to sonics and due to reduced leakage (I share an office). Switching out stock suede pads on my Focal Elegia absolutely transformed them (increased sub bass, reduced lower treble peak).

3) you got quite the score - well done!

4) I am a big believer in the impact of cabling on my main living room rig, but was less so on headphones. But as I moved up the food chain in headphones, it became undeniable for me. I didn't want to spend the money, but the changes have been worth it. But I draw the line at the point of diminishing returns though - I can't afford to chase the Nth degree of improvement.
1. Torrance, CA. There's a store in that town, that has a headphone selection like no other, however I had preferred the SRH1540 over any of the products they had, in the mid-fi $500 price range. I had bought Focal Clears from there in late 2018, which I had later sold; not liking all of the gimmicks they had come with (they didn't have the lower-key Professional edition at the time), and not having any room for that in the hotel room. I had preferred the lesser resolving, but less fatiguing closed back Shures for classic rock music (though I prefer the large Audeze LCD-X or LCD-3 to either of those). The sheer dynamics and body of the notes below 100 Hz, of Audeze headphones, are something to hear, but then again, they are more than twice as heavy as the diminutive 285 g 1540s. I am impressed with what Shure had been able to do bass wise, with something they had put on a diet to appeal to mixing and mastering people who travel a lot on the job.

2. I agree, now I have to buy them a second time after having carelessly sold them in 2019. SRH1540 clamping force is rather weak, so anything I can do to improve the seal may give me tighter bass and better isolation. I would get the spec sheet Tyll Hertens had created; he had graphed the isolation by frequency (the reason I can still hear so many things is because it doesn't isolate below 200 Hz). I had also EQ'd my pair based on his FR graph. The bass was out of control and I had tried to bring it down to match the Harman curve.

4. After my DH Labs interconnect and Kimber Kable speaker cable experiences, I don't cable roll anymore, at all; spending all that money is what it had took for me to abandon it.. I see those differences, as very slight. Luckily, my headphone amp has more than one output, so I was able to have one channel of the stock cable and another of the aftermarket cable being driven at the same time; and again, there had been no discernable difference for me. Could I have heard any difference with twenty year old ears? Maybe. I might get new cables when I get IEMs, or if I get a second set of headphones that happen to come with something that's unworkable for me.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,357 of 2,672
1) which "South Bay"? I am in the SF Bay Area myself.

2) I much prefer sheepskin over velour/suede/Alcantara, etc, due to sonics and due to reduced leakage (I share an office). Switching out stock suede pads on my Focal Elegia absolutely transformed them (increased sub bass, reduced lower treble peak).

3) you got quite the score - well done!

4) I am a big believer in the impact of cabling on my main living room rig, but was less so on headphones. But as I moved up the food chain in headphones, it became undeniable for me. I didn't want to spend the money, but the changes have been worth it. But I draw the line at the point of diminishing returns though - I can't afford to chase the Nth degree of improvement.
I have never heard cable differences with my headphones, I have a 40$ aftermarket cable from AliExpress for my srh1540 and a 100$+ cable for my hd800. The srh1540 aftermarket cable is giving up now and I would like to know if you could suggest me anything. If not for sq differences, atleast it'll be more ergonomic and durable.

On the other hand, my dac shows stark differences with usb cables and computer playback tweaks. Thankfully the latter is free.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,358 of 2,672
I have never heard cable differences with my headphones, I have a 40$ aftermarket cable from AliExpress for my srh1540 and a 100$+ cable for my hd800. The srh1540 aftermarket cable is giving up now and I would like to know if you could suggest me anything. If not for sq differences, atleast it'll be more ergonomic and durable.

On the other hand, my dac shows stark differences with usb cables and computer playback tweaks. Thankfully the latter is free.
I hear more dramatic differences in interconnects than in headphone cables, but I do hear differences. I am really, REALLY trying not to get sucked down the rabbit hole into pursuing the Nth degree of performance via headphone/IEM cables.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,360 of 2,672
I hear more dramatic differences in interconnects than in headphone cables, but I do hear differences. I am really, REALLY trying not to get sucked down the rabbit hole into pursuing the Nth degree of performance via headphone/IEM cables.
I haven't explored there yet but not surprising. Whatever noise goes into the amplifier will likely come out amplified so would be worthy to invest in a better cable there. What cables do you use?

I'm just curious of choices for headphone cables, or even some documentation of the same. I am right now reading documentation by iconoclast cables.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,361 of 2,672
I am currently going with Oyaide Tunami Terzo. They are considered close to endgame at any price, but can be had for under $100 if you are willing to terminate them yourself.

They do sound fantastic - better than my $350 Analysis Plus cables. The only catch is that the Oyaide cables are STIFF - like trying to bend a tree branch.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #2,362 of 2,672
I just picked up a pair recently as they were on sale during Amazon's Prime day deal and these are really fantastic.

It has such clear vocal clarity and overall pleasing response in the treble region unlike most closed backs I am used to. My only gripe so far is the bass, which can be a bit overbearing sometimes and slightly fatiguing. The upside is these don't seem to suffer from awkward resonance issues typical of closed backs. Just an early impression. The comfort and the build quality is top-notch as well. I love how light these are. I have various HPs and right now, HD660s and these are my latest go to for open/closed-back HPs along w/ IE900 for IEMs.

All in all, satisfied with my latest purchase.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,364 of 2,672
I am currently going with Oyaide Tunami Terzo. They are considered close to endgame at any price, but can be had for under $100 if you are willing to terminate them yourself.

They do sound fantastic - better than my $350 Analysis Plus cables. The only catch is that the Oyaide cables are STIFF - like trying to bend a tree branch.
Stiffness wouldn't be a big problem for me. Any tutorials available to learn how to make the solders (type of solder etc)? Also is this cable available in differential configuration (also known as balanced cable).

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,365 of 2,672
This is what I bought. Note that it is for one meter raw, which is what I needed for a stereo 1/2 meter pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OYAIDE...-/124236701633?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I then used Neutriks to make XLR cables.

I didn't see any tutorials, so I just used silver solder and was sure to use the right XLR pin configuration, as found on the web.

There was a tutorial on how to build power cables with Oyaide cables if that matters (funky grounding configuration).

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,366 of 2,672
Not to detract from the thread, but the Oyaide cables really do sound fantastic - and are quite a bargain if you are willing to build your own.

There aren't many professional reviews on line though. But there was a glowing review from Stereo Times though.

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #2,367 of 2,672
I received my 1540s. They do sound excellent - easily topping the HD650 (as they should for the price). I can see how they could be considered a closed back HD650 - they have some midrange sweetness.

On the downside, there is a peak around 6k that I need to EQ out. And I am definitely NOT hearing a bass boost. Perhaps it is a function of head size and shape, but I need to bump the sub bass up quite a bit. Adding Brainwavez sheepskins help with both issues though.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #2,368 of 2,672
I too find the srh1540 quite bright and aggressive contrary to the bassiness that I assumed by looking at measurements, more so than my hd800 and hd700 which I find to be reasonably warm in comparison, with my stock dac configuration. Changing usb cables and music player software (I currently use xxhighend, or wtfplay live both sound fantastic) fixes that aggressiveness (maybe it's just more accurate to the incoming signal). I do prefer the tone of srh940 over srh1540 though even after all these fixes, it just sounds so effortless yet detailed and realistic while srh1540 retains all that detail it sounds too in my face. Interestingly, adding 8khz about 1.5db and dropping 100-300khz about 1db (eq'ing srh1540 to srh940 tone) makes it a little softer/more effortless as opposed to brighter.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,369 of 2,672
This is what I bought. Note that it is for one meter raw, which is what I needed for a stereo 1/2 meter pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OYAIDE...-/124236701633?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I then used Neutriks to make XLR cables.

I didn't see any tutorials, so I just used silver solder and was sure to use the right XLR pin configuration, as found on the web.

There was a tutorial on how to build power cables with Oyaide cables if that matters (funky grounding configuration).
Thank you

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,370 of 2,672
I am starting to get a better handle on this headphone. Some random thoughts:

1) I am enjoying them immensely - they are the perfect compliment to my Focal Elegia.

2) I prefer the denser images of my Elegia, but can get close with the 1540s with some EQ. But doing so affects the 1540's soundstaging.

3) The 1540 has outstanding soundstaging for a closed back. I was pretty happy with my Elegia in this regard, but the 1540 has a more spacious presentation. It is more distant sounding, which is good or bad depending on the music. But when I want to wallow in a big space, the 1540 fits the bill.

4) It is lightweight, which makes it comfortable. But ultimately it feels cheaper than the more solid Elegia, but I don't know if that affects durability.

5) With the Brainwavez sheepskin pads, it is a bit more isolating than the Elegia. This is key for me since I share an office space. I can listen a bit louder with the 1540s without disturbing anyone. This means that they will get a larger share of listening time than the Elegia.

6) They need power to sing. I have to turn them up higher than the Elegia to get the same volume. But they lose composure earlier though - I can play the Elegia louder with less distortion.

7) Their clamping force is too weak for my (apparently) small head. I bent the headband, and that helps a bit. But I wish they clamped a bit more - unfortunately the headband carries more of the effective weight when clamping force is light.

8) I can hear the bass boost that many complain about. It was fatiguing and bled into the mids. But lowering 120 hz by about 3 db fixed the issue completely.

9) They are light on the sub bass. No amount of EQ can bring sub bass to the level of the Elegia (with Dakoni sheepskin pads). Adding a little boost helps, but at some point after 3db, they simply ceased to replay any additional sub bass. The Elegia are more visceral and impactful in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back