Shure SRH1540 Review
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #2,146 of 2,680
I

I have no idea what the point of your post was? I normally run my DAP through my SMSL SU-8 DAC which in turn feeds several amps.
Yesterday, I had no power (still don't) so it was DAP to headphone and the 1540's sounded great!

What part do I need to "slow down" for you?

Shane D

Oops, sorry. I misread the post as if you said srh1540 don't benefit from an amp. Btw I'm looking to get the Burson Play, do you like em? Saw those in your flair.

Sep 8, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #2,147 of 2,680
Samson Z55 with Brainwavz HM5 pads (pleather, do not use the Sheepskin) has similar bass and soundstage, a bit less peaky but still detailed treble, vs. stock SRH-1540. With NVX XRE100S pads, which is what I use on the Z55 now, it has less sub bass, but even better mids. The best mids I've heard on a closed back besides the Senn HD820. I'm not kidding. I now have an ideal pair to go with a 1540 for an alternative sound. Not as comfortable as the 1540 (more clamp - slightly less earcup extension, but bearable) and my 1540, with Denon 7100 pads, have more sub bass and stereo separation to its benefit.

Did you just mean hd820? . God I love that thing. If only I had the money. Is pad roll on those headphone necessary for good sound?

Sep 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,148 of 2,680
Oops, sorry. I misread the post as if you said srh1540 don't benefit from an amp. Btw I'm looking to get the Burson Play, do you like em? Saw those in your flair.

I love my Burson Fun-Classic, but I have had some quality issues. The sound is AMAZING.

Shane D

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #2,150 of 2,680
I bought a Fun-Classic. I bought the Vivid's from MassDrop later on, but I ended up preferring the Classic's.

Shane D

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,152 of 2,680
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #2,153 of 2,680
Got a pair of these on the way, picked them up for c. €215 which am pretty happy about. I mainly listen to iems but like the option of full-sized cans, and the Ultrasone Signature DXPs I’ve got, whilst great-sounding, simply weren’t comfortable enough for me, and sounded a bit too “closed”, even for a closed can. Really looking forward to driving the 1540s with my Vorzuge Duo, seeing whether I’ve finally found the combination of comfort, detail, space, fun and isolation I’m looking for. (Not asking a lot, am I??! :))

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #2,154 of 2,680
Got a pair of these on the way, picked them up for c. €215 which am pretty happy about.
If you find the stock earpads a bit small, and want a bit better spacious fit and sound, slightly smoother highs, better sub bass extension, consider these pads.
They isolate better than stock and are as comfortable, if not more due to the extra space for you ears. They are easy to clean, and will reject skin oil very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protein-le...082286?hash=item2871bfba2e:g:d-EAAOSwxL5cIaVE

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2,155 of 2,680
If you find the stock earpads a bit small, and want a bit better spacious fit and sound, slightly smoother highs, better sub bass extension, consider these pads.
They isolate better than stock and are as comfortable, if not more due to the extra space for you ears. They are easy to clean, and will reject skin oil very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protein-le...082286?hash=item2871bfba2e:g:d-EAAOSwxL5cIaVE

thanks for this! will see how I get on with the stock pads, but I'm interested in the possibilities of upgrading. Do we think these are a better bet than the Brainwavz sheepskin pads that others have been mentioning, or much of a muchness?

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,156 of 2,680
thanks for this! will see how I get on with the stock pads, but I'm interested in the possibilities of upgrading. Do we think these are a better bet than the Brainwavz sheepskin pads that others have been mentioning, or much of a muchness?

Many people like the stock 1540 pads enough to use them on other headphones. I find them very comfortable....cooler than most.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,157 of 2,680
Many people like the stock 1540 pads enough to use them on other headphones. I find them very comfortable....cooler than most.

My main reason for upgrading pads would be if the change to sq was significant (and an improvement), and it sounds like there's mixed views on this.

In any case, I'm looking forward to giving them a try, It's been a long hunt for a closed back that I really get on with. Previous tries have included Sennheiser HD25 (great but uncomfortable on-ear), Master&Dynamic MH40 (great build, execrable sound, I mean just bloated and awful), Sennheiser HD250s (hmmm, I loved them, vintage and wonderful, but slightly uncomfortable, and a bugger to drive. I'm still very tempted to get another pair though, the soundstage was just brilliant for a closed back)and the Ultrasone DXP (really liked it, but uncomfortable, somewhat ugly, and slightly lacking in the spacious sound I crave).... Let's see how these 1540s stack up!

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2,158 of 2,680
My main reason for upgrading pads would be if the change to sq was significant (and an improvement), and it sounds like there's mixed views on this.

In any case, I'm looking forward to giving them a try, It's been a long hunt for a closed back that I really get on with. Previous tries have included Sennheiser HD25 (great but uncomfortable on-ear), Master&Dynamic MH40 (great build, execrable sound, I mean just bloated and awful), Sennheiser HD250s (hmmm, I loved them, vintage and wonderful, but slightly uncomfortable, and a bugger to drive. I'm still very tempted to get another pair though, the soundstage was just brilliant for a closed back)and the Ultrasone DXP (really liked it, but uncomfortable, somewhat ugly, and slightly lacking in the spacious sound I crave).... Let's see how these 1540s stack up!

The Shure is very nice! If you wanted to try a closed back that is Really easy to drive, looks great and has nice bass you should look at the Meze 99 Classic.

I bought the 99's new and the Shure used. BOTH are keepers! Two versions of a great, fairly affordable closed back.

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #2,159 of 2,680
The Shure is very nice! If you wanted to try a closed back that is Really easy to drive, looks great and has nice bass you should look at the Meze 99 Classic.

I bought the 99's new and the Shure used. BOTH are keepers! Two versions of a great, fairly affordable closed back.

Shane D

Hi Shane,

What do you think of the Audeze sine? I want a pair of headphones that I can transport around with me easily when travelling on trips etc (morning meditation and stuff). Srh1540 is too bulky for this.

All my current efforts to try and find a portable alternative have been in vain. There's an older Post where I mentioned the list of headphones I currently have, for a personal project, and all of them are straight up unlistenable in comparison to srh1540 (I find serious signal integrity issues everytime I try any of those with regards to detail/chord progression or reverb issues or chassis issues, and return back to 1540 in a matter of minutes). Not meaning to be flattering, but I've found 1540 take down much pricier sets with ease as well. My hd800 is coming, and I'm hoping for better fidelity. If not I'll be sorely disappointed.

I bought a dt1350 now (had a lot of hype back in the days) to my collection recently and, unfortunately, it has once again turned out to be a disappointment. Feels like the singer is in a constant pitch. And the bass, despite good measurements has some kind of white noise added to it (just like thx00). These things don't measure up in harmonic distortion chart, but to me are way more annoying than harmonic distortion.

My friend owns a hd600, er4sr and sine. I personally found srh1540,even underdriven to outresolve any hd600/650 variant by quite a significant margin. He finds his sine and er4sr to do the same to hd600. He uses hd600 only when he doesn't want to care too much about detail. So I'm more interested in the sine.

I'm like torn up for options. I don't want to get into a burn again. The options I currently have in my list are - er4b, srh940 (I've heard one, it's lovely but the thing is fragile), meze 99, Audeze sine. Comfort is negotiable. Portability, sound quality and durability is the primary concern.

Thanks,
Manuel Jenkin

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,160 of 2,680
Hi Shane,

What do you think of the Audeze sine? I want a pair of headphones that I can transport around with me easily when travelling on trips etc (morning meditation and stuff). Srh1540 is too bulky for this.

All my current efforts to try and find a portable alternative have been in vain. There's an older Post where I mentioned the list of headphones I currently have, for a personal project, and all of them are straight up unlistenable in comparison to srh1540 (I find serious signal integrity issues everytime I try any of those with regards to detail/chord progression or reverb issues or chassis issues, and return back to 1540 in a matter of minutes). Not meaning to be flattering, but I've found 1540 take down much pricier sets with ease as well. My hd800 is coming, and I'm hoping for better fidelity. If not I'll be sorely disappointed.

I bought a dt1350 now (had a lot of hype back in the days) to my collection recently and, unfortunately, it has once again turned out to be a disappointment. Feels like the singer is in a constant pitch. And the bass, despite good measurements has some kind of white noise added to it (just like thx00). These things don't measure up in harmonic distortion chart, but to me are way more annoying than harmonic distortion.

My friend owns a hd600, er4sr and sine. I personally found srh1540,even underdriven to outresolve any hd600/650 variant by quite a significant margin. He finds his sine and er4sr to do the same to hd600. He uses hd600 only when he doesn't want to care too much about detail. So I'm more interested in the sine.

I'm like torn up for options. I don't want to get into a burn again. The options I currently have in my list are - er4b, srh940 (I've heard one, it's lovely but the thing is fragile), meze 99, Audeze sine. Comfort is negotiable. Portability, sound quality and durability is the primary concern.

Thanks,
Manuel Jenkin

I have never used the Sines. The 99's are my out and about headphones, but they are not tiny.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back