Shure SRH1540 Review
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,831 of 2,679
Does adding the sheepskin pads drastically reduce sound leakage? The alcantaras are great but I feel a little conscious since the sound leaks a little, even at a moderate volume (though I'm not saying my hearing is the best :)

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,832 of 2,679
Like the others who have done so, I highly recommend that folks here consider the Alpha Pads - they are a lot more comfortable and seem to improve the sound noticeably.

Hello,

Who try to upgrade the headband ? What will be the best options ?
Beyers headband ? or seneihser ?

Thank you in advance !

I'd recommend a custom one from Amazon.

Here's what I ordered a while back: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00862522A/ref=pe_386430_30332290_TE_3p_dp_1

I use the Geekria PJZ-0007-02. It works well for me.

Will check it out the next time I need to swap out a headband.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,833 of 2,679
I’m looking for a good audiophile-listening oriented closed-back pair (not open/semi-open back). I own the AKG K551, they’re very good but I find them a little bit thin/dry with some recordings. I’m looking for something a little bit more enjoyable (fun), with a touch of emotion/texture and maybe more forgiving with poorer recordings (like my HD600)... I’m listening some rock, folk, jazz and classical and I’m definitely not a bass-head. I've read some good things about SRH1540, SRH940, NAD viso HP50 and Soundmagic HP151. Any comments/suggestions?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,834 of 2,679
I’m looking for a good audiophile-listening oriented closed-back pair (not open/semi-open back). I own the AKG K551, they’re very good but I find them a little bit thin/dry with some recordings. I’m looking for something a little bit more enjoyable (fun), with a touch of emotion/texture and maybe more forgiving with poorer recordings (like my HD600)... I’m listening some rock, folk, jazz and classical and I’m definitely not a bass-head. I've read some good things about SRH1540, SRH940, NAD viso HP50 and Soundmagic HP151. Any comments/suggestions?

I have the SRH1540 and love them in balanced from Sony NW-WM1A, and single ended out of my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana and Questyle QP1R. I find them very musically engaging. Sometimes I get in the mood for my Audioquest Nighthawk which are a little more bass-heavy, and other times I listen to the Shure. The Shure is a little north of neutral with bass, but not much. I think they have liquid mids and non-fatiguing treble with clarity.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,835 of 2,679
Thanks! That is the kind of sound signature I'm looking for (a right amount of thight and speed bass, accurate and textured mids, non-fatiguing treble with good clarity). I find the bass of the K551 very accurate and thight but missing a little bit of body/punch, the mids a little bit boring with some recordings and the treble a tad thin/harsh sometimes...
Any comparisons between SRH1540 and SRH940, NAD viso and HP151?

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,836 of 2,679
Thanks! That is the kind of sound signature I'm looking for (a right amount of thight and speed bass, accurate and textured mids, non-fatiguing treble with good clarity). I find the bass of the K551 very accurate and thight but missing a little bit of body/punch, the mids a little bit boring with some recordings and the treble a tad thin/harsh sometimes...
Any comparisons between SRH1540 and SRH940, NAD viso and HP151?

I got the Shure headphones to complement my Audio-Technica ATH -MSR7s. The Audio-Technica headphones are are quite bright and aggressive. Sometimes I'm in the mood for bright, and other times I'm in the mood for warm and smooth. I can tell you that I really have never gotten fatigue from listening to the Shure headphones... at least not at normal listening levels. Some people accuse the Shure headphones of falling apart at louder listening levels, but I do not find that. I suspect that if they try another source that won't be the case. I love headphones. I own:

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM
Sennheiser HD650
Audioquest Nighthawk
Shure SRH1540
AKG K812

A good tube amp for my high impedance Sennheiser is on the horizon.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #1,837 of 2,679
I got the ATH-SR5BT, which uses the same drivers as the MSR7. I agree that it can be fatiguing (the upper-mids are too much agressive for long listenings). How do you compare the bass between MSR7 and SRH1540?

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,838 of 2,679
I got the ATH-SR5BT, which uses the same drivers as the MSR7. I agree that it can be fatiguing (the upper-mids are too much agressive for long listenings). How do you compare the bass between MSR7 and SRH1540?

They Audio-Technica's are a little punchier, but the Shure seems a little more realistic to me. the Shures are much warmer too. I guess you could say they are more organic. But don't get me wrong the audio-technica's bass really beats the hell out of your ears. The Shure cans manage to have really good deep bass without beating the living crap out of your ear drums.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,839 of 2,679
Thanks again! I find the bass on my SR5BT very good since they're supposed to be a tad more punchier than the MSR7 (probably the effect of the smaller earcups). It's well controlled, thight, fast, with a good amount of impact (without being too boomy for my taste). I really like that kind of bass, but I think I'll love the more organic bass of the SRH1540... :L3000:

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,840 of 2,679
Thanks again! I find the bass on my SR5BT very good since they're supposed to be a tad more punchier than the MSR7 (probably the effect of the smaller earcups). It's well controlled, thight, fast, with a good amount of impact (without being too boomy for my taste). I really like that kind of bass, but I think I'll love the more organic bass of the SRH1540... :L3000:

What will be your source? The Shures are midcentric with a warm signature with smoother, articulate treble, never fatiguing. Shure is known for their midrange.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,841 of 2,679
I like mostly flat mids, with a touch of emotion/warmth, especially for vocals. The HD600's mids sound very good to me (a tad upfront, with good timbre).
I've never heard Shure headphones, but I've read a lot of good things about SRH440 (for their price range) and SRH840 (the M50x killer :wink:)

My source will be mostly FLAC/WAV files from my laptop, through my Dragonfly Black DAC/Amp, or through my Cambridge Audio CXA80 Stereo DAC/Amp.
Are they power-hungry (could I drive them properly with a smartphone)?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,842 of 2,679
I like mostly flat mids, with a touch of emotion/warmth, especially for vocals. The HD600's mids sound very good for me (a tad upfront, with good timbre).
I've never heard Shure headphones, but I've read a lot of good things about SRH440 (for their price range) and SRH840 (the M50x killer :wink:)

My source will be mostly FLAC/WAV files from my laptop, through my Dragonfly Black DAC/Amp, or through my Cambridge Audio CXA80 Stereo DAC/Amp.
Are they power-hungry (could I drive them properly with a smartphone)?

Try to find someone using them out of a similar setup for more accurate information. The Lotoo Paw Gold Diana is a 500mw/32ohm monster, so my impressions may be apples to oranges. It even drives my Sennheiser HD650 300ohm headphones to ear splitting levels. The SRH1540s are fairly easy to drive. Synergy between source and headphones always amazes me too. My Nighthawks sound like mud until I go balanced out of my Sony or single ended from Diana. I am still getting used to and burning in the HD650, but may get a tube amp for them. Let me grab and try with phone LG V20...BRB It doesn't reach uncomfortably loud levels, but still sounds decent from the V20. You may be in want of a little more volume.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,843 of 2,679
Good.
My Cambridge CXA80 stereo Amp/DAC drives my 300 Ohms-HD600 without problems. Hope it will be a good matchup with the SRH1540...
Did you ever tried your SRH1540 with a smartphone? How does it sounds?

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,844 of 2,679
Good.
My Cambridge CXA80 stereo Amp/DAC drives my 300 Ohms-HD600 without problems. Hope it will be a good matchup with the SRH1540...
Did you ever tried your SRH1540 with a smartphone? How does it sounds?

It sounded pretty good on the LG V20, but it didn't go up load enough to block substantial ambient noise. A higher power DAP or amp would be a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back