Shure SRH1440 Appreciation
May 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Halimj7

500+ Head-Fier
From what I have researched these seem like good - great cans, but they seem to get little love from the head-fi community. Why?

Can anyone speak on the 1440's mids and highs, and sound stage compared to K701/Q701 and Grado phones and their low level listening experience? Thanks

May 22, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 4
I guess the dedicated SRH1440 & SRH1840 thread is about as much "appreciation" these cans are gonna get.

I mean, they're pretty decent headphones and they easily compete in the $200 range, but they get outclassed by even the mid-fi trio like the K701 and DT880.

A few gripes from memory- first, narrow soundstage. I heard shure decided to put backplates on the drivers from somewhere... Whatever the reason may be, the headphones have all the disadvantages of an open design but a soundstage only on par with decent closedbacks.

I also remember a lack of detail across the board, despite being more forward than the 1840s. Actually, in the treble, the detail is there, but since they're not as bright as the K701, you just have to listen harder for them.
The bass, while punchy, lacked definition especially in the lower registers. Everything starts to become a low buzz/hum in the sub-bass.

Also, it's heavier and bulkier than the 1840s- and I thought shure marketed these as for more portable applications with its low impedance.

If you want an open-back shure, the 1840s are the way to go. But they're almost twice as expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back