Shure SRH 840 OR SRH 440
Dec 13, 2009 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LawLaw

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am new to headphone and i want to know if it is worth it to add $50 for SRH 840s.

I listen to all kind of music, but mainly jazz, R&B and pop

I use ipod 2nd gen and macbook

Amazon is selling SRH 840 for $145.00 and SRH 440 for $94.50

Will there be any big difference between those two headphone if i don't add Amp or stuff?

Or I will just feel the same? =P

thank you

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 20
ya.... 440 really good phone to start with but still sounds thin with no amp.

got an amp and after a little tweaking...... damn, yo. Shure440s are some of the most solid phones i have but they like power. No amp/pre at all... might want a different phone.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 20
hi

thx for the replies

hmmm...I have looked at the reviews

the main difference is the bass and the amp ...right?

so if i only listen to some Jass, R&B and pop

then SRH 440 is already more than enough for me ....right?

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 20
If it doesn't work out, I'm sure someone will be more than willing to snatch them out of your hands on for sale forums here. Personally I think it's a small price to upgrade and an amp upgrade isn't as bad as it sounds. You can always wait a short while to purchase that.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 20
From what I've read, the 440s would be better unamped. I have the 840s and concur with others that they while sound great unamped they could definitely do with some added energy and heft that amplification would bring (I have a dac/amp on the way). They are also pretty big and heavy, which is another thing to consider, althoguh I find them pretty comfortable for long stretches.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autonomic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something you might want to consider; the 840s are almost twice as heavy as the 440s. might be a strain on longer sessions.

440s weight 271 grams and 840s 317 grams. There is not that a big difference. I would go for the 840s if I could buy them for 150$ but it's impossible to find a deal like that in Europe so I ordered the 440s to an tEbay seller (122$ shipped). I have just received them and they are still burning but my initial impression is positive. I can only compare with MS1 : 440 have wider soundstage which is remarkable considering they are closed but lack bass in comparison to MS1 and I find them less detailed too. Perhaps bass will improve with more burn in. If I had to order a ~100$ pair of cans I would choose the MS1 again. I'm not saying the 440s are bad by any means. It's the MS1 that are damn good for the price.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autonomic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something you might want to consider; the 840s are almost twice as heavy as the 440s. might be a strain on longer sessions.

440s weight 271 grams and 840s 317 grams. There is not that a big difference. I would go for the 840s if I could buy them for 150$ but it's impossible to find a deal like that in Europe so I ordered the 440s to an tEbay seller (122$ shipped). I have just received them and they are still burning but my initial impression is positive. I can only compare with MS1 : 440 have wider soundstage which is remarkable considering they are closed but lack bass in comparison to MS1 and I find them less detailed too. Perhaps bass will improve with more burn in. If I had to order a ~100$ pair of cans I would choose the MS1 again. I'm not saying the 440s are bad by any means. It's the MS1 that are damn good for the price.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 20
I would get the 440s and put the difference towards an amp. An alright amp doesn't cost that much, and these things LOVE power. I have no idea how much they draw, but the better the amplification, the better they sound. I plugged them into a Behringer 4 channel rack mount amp, it's got more than enough power (can drive 8 ohm speakers that are are sensitive enough), anyway, I have broken them in... the 440s already weight a bit more than the average pair, and if they were a 3rd more, I may have fatigue, but at their current design and weight, they are very well made and comfortable.

They are fast, wide sound sound stage that is not like a lot of other headphones, but can still dip low provided you have the power for it. I think midrange and up is going to sound well, but the bass control, as in, how well the headphones can accurately and quickly move about bass transients, this is going to depend on how much power you have to give them. I think there are "voltage" headphones and there are "current" headphones and these fall into the "current" catagory. If the 840s are the 440s, but MORE, then I would seriously think about an amp, even if you are happy with what they give you right out of the ipod. I have a feeling these are sleepers. They can give a lot more than they look. If you pick up a pair, you can certainly see how well made they really are, then have your own opinion of them. I have a fairly good non-os DAC, amp, digital interface, bit-perfect output, and so forth, but I don't think I have pushed the Shures beyond any limitations. This is just the 440s. They do sound hot at first... breaing them in helped, as did dialing the trebel down about two notches on the amp. After that I could have been transported into another land with these. I really like them.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 20
just got the 440s and so far I really like it... I also listen to the audio tecinica m50s back to back with the 440s and the 440s sound just as good, maybe not as comfortable though but for $100 they cant be beat.

Can you guys suugest a good inexpensive amp for the 440?????

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 20
^ Like how much?

Probably want to go to the amp section.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back