Shure SRH 840 OR SRH 440
Dec 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 20
PA10Front.jpg

Personally, I would get a Trends... I wish I would have bought one, but the Behringer seemed like it could handle almost anything.

Amazon has some SS head amps on the cheap, and of course ebay. On ebay, watch for knock-offs.

Grant Fidelity DAC09 is pretty cool. You get a tubed non-OS pre, DAC, processor, head amp, and more.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #18 of 20
Don't know... Amazon seems to try and package it with every good 'phone. I think it is more for being portable.

I like the Shures on a strong amp that only moves when I want to move my system around.

Just as a reference, the Berhinger is $109 right now at most music shops. You get 4 strong head-amps in one box. There are bass, trebel, and so forth, as wel as individual levels on each amp section. The main input acts as the preamp, so one can play with gain on the pre vs. the amp section gain to get a proper sound. I alsol like that I can dial down trebel a bit. I hear beyond 20khz, so some things are hard to even listen to, let alone enjoy, Now I have 4 sections taylored to 4 of my favorite headphones.

It also let me bring my extra non-os DAC out from under the dust, and after hooking it up, the next improvement will be figuring where I can place my tubed output buffer and not have th EMF from it's transformer affect the sound of the DAC and amp.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #20 of 20
I tried SRH240, 440 and 840.
840 has solid bass, clearer and more details than 240 and 440 with amp.
like Azathoth said, i go for 840 and just ordered.
you will need amp sooner or later once you're here
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back