Shure srh 440
Feb 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mattkat0410

New Head-Fier
so i am just a student in high school currently, and i am lacking a pair of detailed reference headphones at this time, and i am looking to buy some new ones for around $100.  i realize that's not much, but these will only be temporary.  i sit at my desk and do countless hours of homework every weekend..listening to headphones most of the time.  and my sol republic tracks hds just aren't detailed and flat enough to satisfy my preferences for detailed pleasurable listening.  so i have been looking at headphones..one or two sennheisers (i know they don't have a huge bass response, but that's okay, i am looking for flat headphones) the shure srh 440 in particular seems like a good choice, and there are some audio technicas i have been considering as well.  i am wondering how good the 440's actually are, and also what other headphones i should consider in that price range.  again, i am looking for headphones that are: 
-flat, natural, balanced, good overall sound quality (duh)
-have natural bass, not overpowering or under-powering
-comfortable!  need to be able to wear for long periods of time
-good passive isolation is preferable, however not imperative
-not too heavy
-looks don't matter, these are for use at home only
-around $100!
-build is not a huge issue either, they will stay on my desk.

any help would be greatly appreciated!  also, high impedance is not an issue, i have a headphone amp.   

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 6
I think you answered your own question. The 440's have it all. (in your price range)

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 6
The 440 is a good entry level studio type and a very portable can.  They fold up and have a detachable cord.  The 840 ear pads fit them and make them even more comfortable.  Currently they're going for $80 through Amazon and just under $100 most other places.

I like the sound of the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!) and they are only $54.99 on Amazon.  However, they are not studio type headphones.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 6
The shure SRH 440 kicks major butt. The mids are sooo good :wink: just got mine today for my zune HD and must say they pair with each other well, the Shure is bright and very sibilant from my ipod touch 3g but its more controlled from the zune HD + isolations is top notch ! I also have a senn HD558 and beyerdyanamic Dt990 pro and a HD438 and I must say for vocals and I find myself preferring the shure over the beyers and the HD438 :wink:

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 6
As previously mentioned: SRH440s with the SRH840 pads == great listening experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back