Shure SRH-1840 vs Bowers & Wilkins P7
Jun 6, 2014 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mickeynguyen210

New Head-Fier
Dear guys,

I know Shure SRH-1840 is about 100$ more expensive compare to Bowers & Wilkins P7 but which one do u think should I choose? (the difference 100$ does not matter to me). I like headphones with an impact and well controlled bass and good sound stage. The songs I mainly listen to are from: Backstreet boys, Westlife and classical musics. I don't have a headphone amp and I plan to pair it mostly with my Ipod Nano. Please give me the positives and negatives of these 2 headphones particularly the "sound taste" of each .

Many thanks,

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't heard the Shures, but out of an iPod nano I'd go with the P7 because of the output impedance of 22 ohms. For using portable sources you want something with lower impedance that can be driven easily. You should also take into consideration that the Shures are open and then P7's are closed. Is sound leakage an issue for you?

Another general thing to notate is that you are only going to get out of the headphones what you put into them, so both of these would be overkill for an iPod IMO. With an iPod, I don't think you'd hear a huge difference between P3's and P7's. What I'd do in your case is go with a less expensive headphone and use the rest of your money to get a better sounding source. Cowon, Colorfly, Astell & Kern and HifiMan all make better sounding portable MP3 players. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Shure SRH 1840:
+ soundstage
+ imaging
+ extremely flat (no mid-bass bump and recessed mids)
+ comfortable
- lacks sub bass
- no isolation
B&W P7:
+ isolation
- horrible comfort
- bad bass
- bad mids
+ treble
- small soundstage

If you had more money to spend and a better source, the Shure SE846 would be great for you I think.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 4
  Dear guys,

I know Shure SRH-1840 is about 100$ more expensive compare to Bowers & Wilkins P7 but which one do u think should I choose? (the difference 100$ does not matter to me). I like headphones with an impact and well controlled bass and good sound stage. The songs I mainly listen to are from: Backstreet boys, Westlife and classical musics. I don't have a headphone amp and I plan to pair it mostly with my Ipod Nano. Please give me the positives and negatives of these 2 headphones particularly the "sound taste" of each .

Many thanks,

The SRH1840 probably have the best mids I have heard so far, in terms of depth and timbre. But they come off as overly warm at times. They are mostly neutral-sounding to me, but have a mid-centric emphasis, which I sometimes think can be too much. There is a slight roll-off in the uppermost mids that does not seem to allow some vocals and instruments to extend completely and there is a very noticable roll off in the bass which really affects the impact and emphasis of music, this is noticable in the energy/impact of drums, so they might not be what you're looking for. They do however, do mid-bass quite well and while the soundstage is good, it is not as wide/large as you would expect from an open-back headphone. I also feel they need an amp to sound best and reach acceptable volume levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back