Shure SE846 still worth the cost in mid 2017?
Aug 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Christian Kopke

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow sound enthusiasts.

I recently stepped on my SE425 and I'm considering an upgrade. I'm now rocking a terrible low-end set that I want to take off the second I put them on.I loved my SE425's and everything I read about the SE846 is pure praise.

My issue is that these IEM's came out in 2014(?).

Question is are they still worth the cost in 2017? Or is there newer and better for a smaller penny out there?

Any and all responses will be much appreciated!

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 13
First off, no headphone gets pure praise. The bass and the adjustable sound signatures you can achieve with filters (Shures and the Knowles filter mods) do get a lot of praise. What some do not like is the highs, which are a little rolled-off or under-emphasized. These are not headphones for treble sparkle. Which for some people means that they will also not be fatiguing. You can also find these new and used for considerably less than the list price of $1000USD.

That said, I have moved on from the Shures to Campfire Vegas myself. Incredible bass, better treble. And a very compelling direct driver sound. Not for everyone, but a sound signature that would appeal to most fans of the Shure 846s. But unlike the Shures, since they are newer, you aren't likely to find these for less than $1100.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 13
First off, no headphone gets pure praise. The bass and the adjustable sound signatures you can achieve with filters (Shures and the Knowles filter mods) do get a lot of praise. What some do not like is the highs, which are a little rolled-off or under-emphasized. These are not headphones for treble sparkle. Which for some people means that they will also not be fatiguing. You can also find these new and used for considerably less than the list price of $1000USD.

That said, I have moved on from the Shures to Campfire Vegas myself. Incredible bass, better treble. And a very compelling direct driver sound. Not for everyone, but a sound signature that would appeal to most fans of the Shure 846s. But unlike the Shures, since they are newer, you aren't likely to find these for less than $1100.

Thanks for your reply.
So would you say the SE846 is outdated and not good value for the $1k?
I live in a small town in Norway and a used pair is difficult to get a hold of. I have tried!

Also if you wouldn't mind I could use a recommandation for some IEM for watching movies. I have like 7000 kids(2) so i usually watch movies and shows with a IEM. I just shaved my head(not bc of my right wing nationalistic believes) so over ear gets sweaty.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't use the term outdated. But if you are looking for something at $1k there are other options available now that have come out since it was released. For a few hundred more, the Vega for example. But my impression is that even new 846s can be found for $7-800.

But in general at these prices it is more about your sound signature preferences. Start there.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Aye, but Norway is an expensive country.
For the vegas I'll be $1630 out of pocket before shipping costs.

And there is really not any places to try out these IEMs so its a bit of a gamble.
Thats why I'm asking, looking for a something that is considered great by the masses and hoping it will suit my needs.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 13
Do you have an idea of what sound signature you are looking for though? There is no "best" at a given price, only what is best for you. There are many great descriptions of IEM sounds on these forums. What aspects of sound are important to you? For me, treble isn't as big a concern, nor is soundstage, but for some here, they are of greatest importance. Similarly, do you want a "reference" tuning or something with a more "fun" sound signature (which usually involves elevated bass among other things).

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Do you have an idea of what sound signature you are looking for though? There is no "best" at a given price, only what is best for you. There are many great descriptions of IEM sounds on these forums. What aspects of sound are important to you? For me, treble isn't as big a concern, nor is soundstage, but for some here, they are of greatest importance. Similarly, do you want a "reference" tuning or something with a more "fun" sound signature (which usually involves elevated bass among other things).

Well this is where i get in trouble. The before mentioned SE425 was my most expensive IEM to date, before that i had Flare Audio and before that just general riffraff low end stuff and some beats.
So in general i have very little knowledge about what i want and what i like. I was planning on just buying a new set of 425s but you know when you start looking on the internet for what you had you're never far from an upgrade.

I listen to music a lot so i would like to elevate that experience and i watch more than average amount of movies/shows on my Mac so i would also like to elevate that experience.
Im not even 40% sure what all the big words you're throwing at me means, but if I'm guessing i would like some bass for movies and just generally "good" sound for music i.e. clarity, brilliant midst and lows, I'm just ball parking here:)
Im prepared to throw in a dac and amp if needed, but i would like it to be portable.
I have been reading up on forums lately so i recognise the terminology but I'm far from sure about the meaning.

Sorry for being a noob...

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 13
I have the SE 846s. They still sound great to me. At this point, headphone technology isnt new (not talking to you, iSines): it is primarily a matter of how stuff is voiced. And the 846s are voiced near-perfectly (I tried the demo version of the Noble Kaisers and didnt find the difference notable enough to warrant the step up): everything, ranging from vocals to violins to tympani, sounds the way it does in a concert hall, timbre-wise (soundstaging and imaging, obviously not).

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Honestly, after 2 decades of listening to good audio on 2 channel audio, I find imaging and soundstaging in headphones to not be anything worth obsessing over as it matches nothing in reality. My comment was geared towards all headphones (Sennheiser HD800s are the only pair I have that don't suck nearly as much - and even they don't come close to a pair of properly toed-in speakers)

As long as you have adequate separation between instruments (which these do), just enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 13
Funny that the Campfires and Nobles were brought up. I have 846s and love them. As a PP stated, there's no "best IEM" - it's "what's best for you". The only IEMs I've considered since I got my 846s are Campfires and Nobles - and I'm just not sure they're worth the upcharge (2X what I'd get if I sold the 846s). That said, I am looking forward to my next CanJam (Denver this fall or NYC in the new year) to "re-test" my assumptions across the board!

I tested a boatload of IEMs before I bought the 846s - many of them A/B. Never regretted my choice once, honestly.

Doody

PS: I'm a monstrous fan of the Comply foam tips. I was worried I was slipping into buyer's remorse on the 846s until I tried the Comply tips. They are perfection!

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 13
Well this is where i get in trouble. The before mentioned SE425 was my most expensive IEM to date, before that i had Flare Audio and before that just general riffraff low end stuff and some beats.
So in general i have very little knowledge about what i want and what i like. I was planning on just buying a new set of 425s but you know when you start looking on the internet for what you had you're never far from an upgrade.

I listen to music a lot so i would like to elevate that experience and i watch more than average amount of movies/shows on my Mac so i would also like to elevate that experience.
Im not even 40% sure what all the big words you're throwing at me means, but if I'm guessing i would like some bass for movies and just generally "good" sound for music i.e. clarity, brilliant midst and lows, I'm just ball parking here:)
Im prepared to throw in a dac and amp if needed, but i would like it to be portable.
I have been reading up on forums lately so i recognise the terminology but I'm far from sure about the meaning.

Sorry for being a noob...

I would honestly look at the Noble Sage, it sits in your price range and seems a bit underappreciated around here as it is new and most people jump straight to the flagship models...

Excellent balanced sound signature, very detailed and with a slight warmth to the sound.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Honestly, after 2 decades of listening to good audio on 2 channel audio, I find imaging and soundstaging in headphones to not be anything worth obsessing over as it matches nothing in reality. they don't come close to a pair of properly toed-in speakers).

You might want to listen to the Creative SXFI and see if it changes your thoughts on how headphones can sound now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back