Shure se846 mmcx connector broken,help
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #16 of 34
Ah - in that case I wish you best of luck finding a repairer. Mine were out of action for just 10 days and when I got them back I was blown away again by the sound! Let us know how it goes!

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #17 of 34
A bit late but here my 2c

I also had issues with the right side of my Shure SE846
Didnt matter which cable i Used, the right one wouldn't properly click in and the cable would get out very easily, but the sound never stopped, until today.
Just from looking on the IEMs MMCX connector and comparing I could tell that the pin in the inside was bent to the side.

I took a sewing needle, got inside that pin/tube and carefully bent it back to the middle. Now the cable clicks in properly.
Those connectors are super fragile, although it took over 6 years to have an issue...
I also recommend everyone to order one of those cheap plastic MMCX tools to remove the cable, those do wonders

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 34
Just found this thread. Same issue. Shure won't repair. Anyone know a good repair shop in the US?

Attachments

• 20220602212233_C34A3354~2.JPG
    20220602212233_C34A3354~2.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220602211750_C34A3345~2.JPG
    20220602211750_C34A3345~2.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 11, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #19 of 34
Just found this thread. Same issue. Shure won't repair. Anyone know a good repair shop in the US?
Mega annoying!

Google ‘headphone repair’. I think hopefully you should find someone who can do it. I don’t have any recommendations though unfortunately as I live in UK. But googling that is how I found the company that does it in the UK.

Alternatively contact https://uk.electronic.partners/ who fixed mine and see if either they can do international repairs or if they recommend someone in the US.

They have fixed mine twice now. The second time the casing fell apart and they even managed to fix that.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 34
Mega annoying!

Google ‘headphone repair’. I think hopefully you should find someone who can do it. I don’t have any recommendations though unfortunately as I live in UK. But googling that is how I found the company that does it in the UK.

Alternatively contact https://uk.electronic.partners/ who fixed mine and see if either they can do international repairs or if they recommend someone in the US.

They have fixed mine twice now. The second time the casing fell apart and they even managed to fix that.
actually
Mega annoying!

Jun 11, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 34
Jun 11, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #23 of 34

I ended up buying the parts to do it myself. Alas, though I've done electronics repairs at the component level for almost 50 years, my health has thrown me a curve-ball in that I'm too shaky to do fine work. I have a good magnifier and even a microscope sending the image to a 46" monitor so it's not visual, just my hands being too shaky. My roommate has offered to try at some point - his electronics skills aren't perfect but he's getting there.

I did try to find a repairer locally, even went to one of the high-end earbud manufacturers that's based in my city, but they declined saying they only work on their products. I bought a 2nd set of SE846 (used) from another Head-fi member but now even they have a minor issue - the left earbud shell has cracked. The shell separates very easily so it needs to be replaced.

I still prefer the soundstage and low-end from the SE846 over anything else that I've tried so I'll eventually get them both repaired.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #24 of 34
totally unexpectedly, I had to travel to London for work. I brought the SE846 with me and mailed them to electronic partners. Just got an acknowledgement that they received them! Fingers crossed on a repair.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 34
Just following up on this that the connector was repaired successfully! Now go figure I hear my other connector starting to behave the same way lol. Mmcx is the worst.....

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #26 of 34
Same thing happened to me! Had just made a post about it here: here but got no replies. Good thing someone bumped this thread and I can see it's a common issue.

I have the same issue as OP, with the sound working from the main cable (needs to be shifted a bit tho) but doesn't work connected to other things. I did notice the middle pin is "shorter" on the earbud with issues vs the functional one though, so maybe there was a break in it or something.

As mentioned, the connectors have been thoroughly cleaned and some contact restorer (Stabilant 22 - similar to DeOxit) applied. Alas the issue with dropouts on the left earphone continue. It's definitely a connection issue, which the MMCX connectors are known for.

Again, I tried my cables on my older SE215 IEMs and neither cable would reproduce the left earphone dropouts. I'm fairly certain that it's the MMCX socket in the left earphone so I have put some feelers out in some audiophile Canadian forums/Facebook groups so hopefully someone will provide a reliable repair shop.

As mentioned in my original post, I've repaired electronics for over 35+ years (medical device repair) so I'm fairly confident that the problem is the MMCX connector itself. It definitely frustrates me that I have (had) the skills to do the repair but with my failing health, now I'm too shaky to do fine detail work. Hopefully I'll find a decent Canadian repair shop as I'm reluctant to send these outside the country.

I am also in Canada, wondering if you found any shop that can do it since you last posted?

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 34
I ended up buying the parts to do it myself. Alas, though I've done electronics repairs at the component level for almost 50 years, my health has thrown me a curve-ball in that I'm too shaky to do fine work. I have a good magnifier and even a microscope sending the image to a 46" monitor so it's not visual, just my hands being too shaky. My roommate has offered to try at some point - his electronics skills aren't perfect but he's getting there.

I did try to find a repairer locally, even went to one of the high-end earbud manufacturers that's based in my city, but they declined saying they only work on their products. I bought a 2nd set of SE846 (used) from another Head-fi member but now even they have a minor issue - the left earbud shell has cracked. The shell separates very easily so it needs to be replaced.

I still prefer the soundstage and low-end from the SE846 over anything else that I've tried so I'll eventually get them both repaired.

Oh, just read this :frowning2:

For ~1k$ earbuds they sure suck imo, both in terms of value for money, and other factors like warranty, repair/support. Prob the last time I ever buy Shure and I have had 2 pairs of 215s, a 535 and now this 846.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #28 of 34
Oh, just read this :frowning2:

For ~1k$ earbuds they sure suck imo, both in terms of value for money, and other factors like warranty, repair/support. Prob the last time I ever buy Shure and I have had 2 pairs of 215s, a 535 and now this 846.
Alas I haven't found anyone to repair them in Canada. I still use my SE846 - now using the right earbud from my original pair and the left earbud from the 2nd pair I bought used from a Head-fi member. I ended up using cyanoacrylate to 'repair' the left one, i.e. to prevent the shell from separating. So far the MMCX connectors are holding up to my use.

It's sad that Shure doesn't offer a true repair service. I'm hoping to mill an all-metal shell for the SE846, seeing as they now use a half-metal shell in the new 2nd gen SE846. My shell will be easily disassembled so that the MMCX connectors can be replaced. Alas it's likely to take at least 4 - 6 months before I'll have the time to do anything about it.

In the interim I've also looked at alternate IEMs. I had purchased a pair of Fiio FH7 and they are decent, but I still prefer the SE846 signature. I also just recently went all-in on a new pair of Sony IER-M9. The Sony's are VERY close to the SE846 in sound, at least to me. They have been harder to fit properly and I'm still trying different tips to see which I prefer.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #29 of 34
Just following up on this that the connector was repaired successfully! Now go figure I hear my other connector starting to behave the same way lol. Mmcx is the worst.....
I'm 8 years on with my SE846's and no trouble with mmcx on these or any of my others too.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 34
Alas I haven't found anyone to repair them in Canada. I still use my SE846 - now using the right earbud from my original pair and the left earbud from the 2nd pair I bought used from a Head-fi member. I ended up using cyanoacrylate to 'repair' the left one, i.e. to prevent the shell from separating. So far the MMCX connectors are holding up to my use.

It's sad that Shure doesn't offer a true repair service. I'm hoping to mill an all-metal shell for the SE846, seeing as they now use a half-metal shell in the new 2nd gen SE846. My shell will be easily disassembled so that the MMCX connectors can be replaced. Alas it's likely to take at least 4 - 6 months before I'll have the time to do anything about it.

In the interim I've also looked at alternate IEMs. I had purchased a pair of Fiio FH7 and they are decent, but I still prefer the SE846 signature. I also just recently went all-in on a new pair of Sony IER-M9. The Sony's are VERY close to the SE846 in sound, at least to me. They have been harder to fit properly and I'm still trying different tips to see which I prefer.

Nice, I guess I might try a DIY thing or look around to see if there's anyone doing such repairs around my city. If it doesn't work it feels akin to needing to replace your whole car because the steering wheel has issues though lol.

Also, I would have thought IER-M9s would have blown the 846s out of the water given the comments on these forums and other audiophile reviews. I'm surprised you find them on par.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back