Shure se535...ouch, these hurt. Will custom moldings change that?
May 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Title says it all.  The flanges give me a great seal and they sound pretty good (quite different from the olive foamies).  But I love the olive foamies for their comfort and DAMNIT...I cannot get a seal with them at all.  The cabling just gets in the way.  If I remove the cables, I can insert both sides effortlessly, so obviously that cabling is getting in the way.  So will custom molds help in anyway?  I really don't want to sell the 535's.   Any on-topic comments are appreciated.  

I'll throw out this solution as well: consider simply cutting off the memory wire. Lots of people, myself included, hate memory wire. Fortunately though, it's quite easy to remove. Just use a small pair of nail scissors, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I did the same thing with my M6, and the fit went from incredibly annoying to effortless. There's a pic of the se215 with the memory wire removed in the appreciation thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/765#post_7469351

May 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 31
Hi Jack, thanks for the comments!  

I decided to fiddle with a pair of medium olives again.  So after fooling around with the cable approaching the connector, I got a okay seal (not the deepest bass, but it's somewhat there...so here's a before and after.

Before:

After:

In the Before picture, you can clearly see that the cable ending with the connector is simply too fat and bulging out, it simply blocks me from getting a seal of any kind.  All I hear is treble, no bass whatsoever.  

In the After picture, I flexed the cable into a position where it sat in front of my ear instead of looping behind and I got a seal, but this is certainly not the way to wear the shures.  :frowning2:

May 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 31
Thanks Jxk, it's not the memory cable that's causing the problem, it's the housing of the connector where the L and R are printed on.  That's what's causing the problem in terms of getting a seal.

Quote:
I'll throw out this solution as well: consider simply cutting off the memory wire. Lots of people, myself included, hate memory wire. Fortunately though, it's quite easy to remove. Just use a small pair of nail scissors, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I did the same thing with my M6, and the fit went from incredibly annoying to effortless. There's a pic of the se215 with the memory wire removed in the appreciation thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/765#post_7469351

May 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Those are some wild insertion angles you're showing (no diss, just sayin').

x2, i know that's not how i wear mine, but if you need a better seal, and that's the only way to get it, all the more power to you. 

May 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
Those are some wild insertion angles you're showing (no diss, just sayin').

I wrote the following post on the SE215 thread 2 months ago:

Quote:
Quote:
So it's hitting here:

If it's hitting there, I'm afraid there's not much hope.  With them inserted into my canals, I actually have some room there.  I know it doesn't look like it, but I can touch my fingertips together around the connector without breaking the seal.  Damn that stinks dbdynsty25.. Sorry bud...  A fixed cable like the Westone with the flexible strain relief would work well for you.

I think they're NOT meant to be worn that way (above photo) but more like shown below (not me in the photos, BTW).

May 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 31
Yeah, I tried it again based on the above two photo's, no dice!  The seal feels okay, but the sound coming in is teeny sounding, so the seal is not complete.  If I press the ear pieces in a little, BAM, good bass response.  Really stinks.

Anyway, I'll probably be talking to sensaphonics soon to work on a custom sleeve.

May 23, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
You tried the largest black olives using the proper method?

Mediums.  Large do not fit.  Proper method?  I hope so....

edit:  to add a more comprehensive reply: It looks like I wear them differently than other people do.  I guess it probably has to do with the shape of my ears.  The 530's fit in perfectly, every single time. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 31
Hi Gloco, similar problem here, the 530s fit just sweetly, but can not get the 535s to seal, I blame it on my small ears, so if the lady in a view posts up gets a seal, I eat my monitors...maybe she does, but I can only get a bass when I push with my fingers. I hope a custom sleeve  can solve the problem, at the moment it feels like I can not get the monitors in deep enough, as their bulky body hits my outer ear, I generally get a better seal when I push the foams/olives right to the end of the housing, till the hit it, but this is also no solution, will contact ACS (they do custom sleeves in the UK) to see what they think, would not like to spend even more money and still not solve the problem...

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Gloco: Sensaphonics is Shure's recommended provider of custom sleeves. I've never heard this particular issue come up before, so I'm interested in the outcome.

Sorry that our "Getting Ear Impressions" PDF is 404; there are gremlins in our new website. That link is broken in all of our "Helpful Links" listings (ironically enough). Weird. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

However, if you go to the Ordering (How To Order) page (or the Downloads page), that link works fine.

To the op, have you considered reshells as well as custom sleeves?

Cheers.

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 31
What are reshells?  Regarding custom sleeves, I haven't contacted Sensaphonics about the custom sleeves yet mostly due to the (probable) high cost of the whole odyssey of getting it done.  It pains me to have to spend additional money to have a pair of IEM's fit the way they should have out of the box.  Hence the bump on the FS ad of my 535's...I'm ready to move onto another pair of IEM's from another company.  

Quote:
 To the op, have you considered reshells as well as custom sleeves?

Cheers.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #28 of 31
http://uniquemelody.com.au/products/indexreshell.html

Other firms are available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back