Shure SE535 OR Sony XBA-4
Apr 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
which one would be better for me and why. I listen to all music except classical and jazz and i like a thumping bass.

IMMORTALMUSO

the se535 doesnt have thumping bass, the bass is more natural as its a balanced armature driver iem,''how its meant to be heard bass'' instead of overemphasized/synthetic bass. the se535 bass is very tight, controlled, has great clarity,forward mids,high's have some sparkle,great instrument separation.

i cant say how the xba-4 sounds but it probably emphasizes bass more so than the se535 does.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 14
I just bought the xba-4, i have the 535's and the monster gold , of the tree I vastly prefer the 535, as stated above it has the more natural sound, well defined, and almost lustful mids. wile the xba's do excell on the bass it recess the mids also the highs are metal sounding, to harsh to me who is coming from the 535 that are known for clipping very high freq, still getting use to the sound, but for instrumental music, i'll go for the 535, fun punching bassy songs will sound grate with the xba's.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 14
None have the thumping bass. XBA-4 has more bass, but it's not thumping. Just look at the IE80s, Monster Turbine pros and JVC FX700, those certainly have the bass you're looking for.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 14
I've been giving this xba headphones a very long listen, and I'm starting to like the overall sound, bass is punchy and better controlled that the monster turbine pro gold, 535 are less bassy, but can give you a very pleasant surprise, with the right music. sony's do a better job of presenting electronica and pop songs, deep bass & powerful, the best part not leaking bass into mids, at least not as much as the pro golds.
Mids are still preferred on the 535's they can take you along the song and immerse you into the tunes, accurate is the game for the 535's although xba are mid shy, they accentuate better on the overall sound giving you a better feel for the type of music I'm starting to love this iems.
On the high freq, i manage to tame a little the over accentuated highs using the turbine's Supertip, highs are still over bright on some acoustic, but after a while i get use to it, but i can imagine getting into my nerves on long sessions. Or not. :rolleyes:
Instrument separation, and soundstage is as big or bigger than 535's both give you a very immersive experience.
for $350 this iems Rock!

equipment: Ibasso D7, D6. ipad over CCK, and flacs out my laptop.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I've been giving this xba headphones a very long listen, and I'm starting to like the overall sound, bass is punchy and better controlled that the monster turbine pro gold, 535 are less bassy, but can give you a very pleasant surprise, with the right music. sony's do a better job of presenting electronica and pop songs, deep bass & powerful, the best part not leaking bass into mids, at least not as much as the pro golds.
Mids are still preferred on the 535's they can take you along the song and immerse you into the tunes, accurate is the game for the 535's although xba are mid shy, they accentuate better on the overall sound giving you a better feel for the type of music I'm starting to love this iems.
On the high freq, i manage to tame a little the over accentuated highs using the turbine's Supertip, highs are still over bright on some acoustic, but after a while i get use to it, but i can imagine getting into my nerves on long sessions. Or not.
rolleyes.gif

Instrument separation, and soundstage is as big or bigger than 535's both give you a very immersive experience.
for $350 this iems Rock!
equipment: Ibasso D7, D6. ipad over CCK, and flacs out my laptop.

have you tried any aftermarket cables for the 535 yet?

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 14
I tried the xba-4 and returned them the next day.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:

not much just EVERYTHING 
ksc75smile.gif

the se535 prove to be very limited by the stock cable when in comparison to a aftermarket cable, for instance the baldur mk2 cable, imo the aftermarket cables prove just how capable the se535 is.

i was kidding i do prefer aftermarket cable to the stock cable. i do feel that the stock cable is good in its own right. but aftermarket cables seem to make the 535 shine imo. i never tested the ltd-j cable against the stock se535-v cable or anything like that. its possible the ltd cable might be slightly different in sound. but not sure.

Quote:

SE535 fanboyism (LOL)! 

i wouldnt say i am a fanboy of the 535, i feel they are great headphones. the build and construction of them is top notch.

i was actually a little turned off to  the regular se535 after i got the red se535-ltd-j i felt the red se535 addressed alot of the issues i found with the bronze 535 which was mostly the shrilly roll off treble. i mean the bronze/clear still have sparkle, BUT the red se535 have higher extension and they sparkle. the difference between the 2 is notable imo. actually to the point where i think shure could have marketed the reds as a ''new'' iem  instead of making it a limited edition.

although if anyone has been paying attention shure has a newer 535 which is the silver but it has a 19khz cut off. so im not shure if it addresses the shrilly/roll off highs over the extent of the bronze/clear but not quite the highs of the red se535, not sure havent tested the silver LE 535

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

i wouldnt say i am a fanboy of the 535, i feel they are great headphones. the build and construction of them is top notch.

i was actually a little turned off to  the regular se535 after i got the red se535-ltd-j i felt the red se535 addressed alot of the issues i found with the bronze 535 which was mostly the shrilly roll off treble. i mean the bronze/clear still have sparkle, BUT the red se535 have higher extension and they sparkle. the difference between the 2 is notable imo. actually to the point where i think shure could have marketed the reds as a ''new'' iem  instead of making it a limited edition.

although if anyone has been paying attention shure has a newer 535 which is the silver but it has a 19khz cut off. so im not shure if it addresses the shrilly/roll off highs over the extent of the bronze/clear but not quite the highs of the red se535, not sure havent tested the silver LE 535

Well, I do prefer the SE535 red over the original SE535s as well. Although I picked the Westone 4 out of all of them because I felt the SE535 and 535 red lacked refinement and smoothness compared to the W4. But now... the SM3v2 lacks even more. Although I feel the Westone 4 has too much bass(for me, at least), I think I would have felt the same way about the SE535. 

Well, about the SE535 silver, saw them on the site, it intrigues me much :O, got to try that out if it ever comes here. 

May 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 14
The 535 is Mid forward with a warm all around sound. Very clear and detailed with bass but not thumping bass. If you add a upgrade cable it will improve , slightly, the bass. I will suggest for half the price but as good or in many ways better then the 535 would be the Atrios by Future Sonics which has clear and detailed mids and highs but what is special about this earphone is its bass and sub-bass which will draw your attention so much that it will have you think its a GOD you bow and pray to. Dont let its great bass fool you to believe it lacks mids and highs, once you become accustom to its bass you will start to notice its beautiful mids and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back